CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
lPfyRaG.jpg

Saw this posted on the Lexus subreddit. First time I have seen the latest gen LS kitted out like this.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Looks good! I am assuming that Lexus took the lidar transponder and any other sensors off the roof and integrated them into those fairings on the front and rear bumper cover, the front fender and wing mirrors, and behind the windshield?

Reactions
I took this. It was pretty cool. Inside was all decked out with cameras and sensors. And you can kinda see the radar sensors that are at the top of the rear window. Lady driving it was mean. And wouldn't talk to anyone about it. But we knew what it was, It looked like that bothered her. IMG_20190928_145857.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190928_145857.jpg
    IMG_20190928_145857.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Was this close to the Texas Technical Center? Suprised Lexus would roll their prototypes into the dealership unless this was a training demo for service centers. Even then demos are held at central.

Yea i could understand why she was mean, not meant for the public, and probably a out of the way stop to get something parts wise?

Reactions
Was this close to the Texas Technical Center? Suprised Lexus would roll their prototypes into the dealership unless this was a training demo for service centers. Even then demos are held at central.

Yea i could understand why she was mean, not meant for the public, and probably a out of the way stop to get something parts wise?
Yeah, I won't say exactly where but far from Texas. It needed a new tire, I'm pretty sure she punctured it. She called in to say she had a secret car coming and and needed a tire and that she didn't want any attention. We all swarmed it when it got there

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

It's got Michigan plates, but I'm not sure if that's just where they source their US company vehicle plates from or not.

I think their self-driving people are in California, aren't they?

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Alright, New York actually

Wow, that's surprising. I can't imagine they have many of these vehicles put together, and the TRI is in California where they are doing the bulk of the self-driving work. Toyota seems to be serious about this if they've got cars across the country being tested/developed.

Didn't they say the first self-driving Lexus would be in 2020?

Makes me curious about what we will see at the TMS in a couple of weeks.

Reactions
I doubt we will see anything be offered in 2020 but probably more info at the least. Probably not until 2022-2023 will it be offered. They better do an AWD ES. And an LS F or LC F before that

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I doubt we will see anything be offered in 2020 but probably more info at the least. Probably not until 2022-2023 will it be offered. They better do an AWD ES. And an LS F or LC F before that

They've been pretty clear that the 2020 tokyo olympics will see self-driving Toyota/Lexus models debuted/promoted, unless something has changed and i'm out of the loop.

Considering how the current LS has stuff like lane-trace assist already working, I wouldn't be surprised if they had stuff to show/sell in the next year or so.

An LS with self-driving near the capabilities (on-highway) of Cadillac or Tesla would be an extremely attractive proposition. Just makes me wonder if the self-driving will add significant cost over the regular model as a different model name, or if it'll just be an included optional technology package.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
If all of those are LiDAR sensors, it will be at least a 6 figure option.

But, if they manage a SAE Level 4 autonomy for 2020 as a MY2021, they should beat everyone.

At least they already managed to downsize it! Would love to see an opened trunk.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
If all of those are LiDAR sensors, it will be at least a 6 figure option.

But, if they manage a SAE Level 4 autonomy for 2020 as a MY2021, they should beat everyone.

At least they already managed to downsize it! Would love to see an opened trunk.

I cannot imagine that Lexus would go to market with an option that doubles the price of the car.

That would put it well beyond the Taycan and fully loaded teslas, into the realm of ultra luxury cars.

Component cost reduction and simplification is something I'd be surprised if TMC wasn't focused on.

I could only see it if they released it as the LS+, and it was effectively a separate model.

Last edited:

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
I assume this would be what they call the P5 (prototype 5)

Toyota has been very conservative in their autonomous execution/presentation. Lexus has been very quiet this year and since its the 25th anniversary, they don't even have any neat surprises except a short celebratory video/promo. Makes me think 2020 Olympics is when all the fireworks come out, and without another second to spare, they are really pushing it, especially with the enthusiast crowd. If there is no LS+, I'd be quite disappointed.

Here is the P4 5LS autonomous prototype.

Presentation

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
With their cautious approach 2021 will mostly see debut of L2 at a reasonable price. A limited L4 fleet could be subsidized by Toyota and restricted to testing in selected area still. An affordable L4 production car is really a big stretch for anyone in this area.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

Toyota has been very conservative in their autonomous execution/presentation. Lexus has been very quiet this year and since its the 25th anniversary, they don't even have any neat surprises except a short celebratory video/promo. Makes me think 2020 Olympics is when all the fireworks come out, and without another second to spare, they are really pushing it, especially with the enthusiast crowd. If there is no LS+, I'd be quite disappointed.

Presentation

Wow, it's incredible that they managed to eliminate that huge sensor suite on top of the car.

Although i have to wonder, are we seeing the L2 reduced complexity version of the platform, and the full L4 down the road might need additional hardware?

Either way, L2 is all I really am looking forward to in the near-term anyways. If it makes highway driving less stressful, that's more than enough.

Reactions

Presentation
I don't know, that P4 does look a little more sophisticated than this even. I would bet this is a P3 or maybe sleeker P4. But i gotta doubt it's a P5 after seeing that video. But thanks for the info!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

🙏

Though, whatever this LS might be, it's expected highway autonomous driving will debut next year.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-09-30-lexus-ls-500h-autonomous.jpg

A fifth-generation Lexus LS 500h outfitted with autonomous technology was spotted at a New York dealership. Photos have been posted on Reddit and the Lexus Enthusiast forums:
19-09-30-lexus-ls-500-autonomous-rear.jpg

Lexus will release its first self-driving vehicle next year as part of a massive technology initiative by parent company Toyota, but there’s a one catch — the technology will only work for highway driving.
In all likelihood, the Lexus automated vehicle will debut at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, where Toyota is the title sponsor. It’s also expected that the...

Continue reading...