Daniel Guyton

Admirer
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was just in Atlanta with us a little over a week ago. There is an insane amount of engineering and wires in that car/trunk.

Daniel Guyton

Admirer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks good! I am assuming that Lexus took the lidar transponder and any other sensors off the roof and integrated them into those fairings on the front and rear bumper cover, the front fender and wing mirrors, and behind the windshield?
When it was here in Atlanta it had the sensors on the roof. Not sure why they're not on this one in the picture. Unless it could be a different mule.

Reaction score
When it was here in Atlanta it had the sensors on the roof. Not sure why they're not on this one in the picture. Unless it could be a different mule.
My assumption was that Toyota (and its suppliers) was able to miniaturize and reduce the cost of sensors and especially LiDAR transponders (transmitters and receivers) so that Toyota was able to remove the large transponder(s) from on top of the roof and distribute small transponders around the car to take the place of the large, expensive, central ones.

Reaction score
It wasn't surprising that the driver wasn't happy getting photographed, because many companies would love to see the data gathered in the vehicles. The driver either works directly for TRI or is a contractor working for a third party staffing company (which I was).

I did work for an autonomous vehicle company and they're very protective of folks taking pictures of the car if they're trying to maintain a low profile. Usually the outside is fine, but we were told to be mindful of the inside because of the data displayed on the laptop that is attached to the vehicle that run the sensors and what not.

Ian Schmidt

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not too surprised to see this kind of wide scale testing of the system given Toyota wants to make a splash at the Tokyo Olympics.

And with social media filling up with tales and videos of Tesla's auto-summon crashing into garages, other cars, and pedestrians it's a good time for other automakers to show their self-driving working properly.

internalaudit

Follower
Reaction score

Autonomous vehicles pose a whole bunch of R&D challenges. With so many aspects to consider -- power consumption, safety, user interface and data management, to name just a few -- creating a common computing platform for their use is a big ask of just one company. That's why a group of automotive and tech businesses have joined forces to create the Autonomous Vehicle Computing Consortium (AVCC), in a bid to create a platform that will promote the scalable deployment of automated and autonomous vehicles.

The consortium includes ARM, Bosch, Continental, DENSO, General Motors, NVIDIA, NXP Semiconductors and Toyota (whose P4 Automated Driving Test Vehicle is pictured above), who will collaborate on overcoming some of the most significant challenges posed by autonomous vehicles -- the group's first step will be developing a set of recommendations for a system architecture for the computing platform. According to Alex Harrod of Arm, "The group brings together a unique combination of expertise and a shared goal," and will be welcoming input from other interested parties and members of the automotive ecosystem.

CRSKTN

Fan
Reaction score

As part of its big robot push for upcoming the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games, Toyota says it will have 20 of its e-Palette electric vehicles on-site to transport athletes.
Each of the vehicles will travel through the athletes' village at a leisurely 12 miles per hour along a designated loop. As an SAE Level 4-capable autonomous vehicle, the e-Palette will be able to navigate the area all on its own. However, a safety attendant will be onboard each vehicle to ensure nothing goes wrong. Those capabilities put the e-Palette in about the same ballpark as Waymo's current fleet of autonomous vehicles.

CRSKTN

Fan
Reaction score
If i had to guess, the ones without insane rigs are the L2 coming sooner than later, the other ones are the full Chauffeur L4+ ones.

Man, if I could get a L2 Lexus in a year or two, with some kind of EV option, that'd be something.

Also as an aside about those toyota shuttles, the news about some new RV self driving concepts has me imagining a much more mundane Mad Max future, but very very convenient.