【Speculation】Lexus GS to return in cross-over form?

amoschen7

Fan
Reactions
Lexus GS was one of the most loved lineup for
true motorheads and fanboys. Really liked the last generation for its handling and creamy power from the NA 3.5 V6 engine. It was a pity when Lexus discontinued the line for reduced demand in the sector. Now I’m thinking if there will be a chance that Lexus will re-launch the model as a fun-to-drive sedan/crossover/shootingbrake for “Grand Tourers” A class under LS yet more dynamic and colorful.
A true BMW 6GT fighter. We are seeing it in the 2023 model of crown coming in cross-over design, a model that shared the chassis with last generation GS. So a new cross-over design of GS could materialize in 2024 if Lexus intends to. The new 2.4T L4 + Aisin 10AT shall bring the new model much excitement for a new generation of fans.
CC0C87AE-6FF1-4793-ABBD-D8315DF33DD4.jpeg

I was very lucky to speculated the release of Lexus LM line:

Let’s see want will happen to the GS :)

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I doubt it, which is sad because the GS is my all-time favorite Lexus model.

Eliminating the GS + GA-K + new AWD and electric technologies give the ES room and hardware to grow into the spot the GS formerly occupied and as a more competitive offering.

IS-ES-LS is probably all Lexus needs right now for sedans. The most legitimate case I could see for a GS return would be a BEV four door coupe, something like a 4-door LC, but we've been talking about such a concept since 2015 and I doubt it's going to materialize at this point.

We get a lot of people making this point on social media, complaining about the end of the GS and hating the ES, but the Crown paints a very positive picture for the next gen ES in my opinion.

ES 350h will probably be 240-250hp hybrid base model
ES 500h will probably be 340hp mid-top-level model
ES 500h F Sport Performance will be 367hp top performance model

... short of the GS F, that's a lot more car than the GS ever offered, and those will all come with AWD. The latter with a performance AWD system that can behave more like RWD.

On the crossover side, I would expect "NZ" and "LZ" on either side of the RZ to fill the gap between the sedans and true SUVs. Crown seems more like a Toyota "will this work?" exercise. If it does -- maybe there is a route for something similar to come to Lexus, and maybe that is the GS, but I suspect it would take some time to make the case...

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The Crown Sedan (concept) is basically the GS. It has the same dimensions within millimeters (wheelbase, length, width, height) as the new Genesis G80. Being rather a Crown Majesta, the V35A is not to be ruled out as an ICE only option, in addition to the T24 HEV. Of course all possible with AWD too, the parts exist.

amoschen7

Fan
Reactions

Eliminating the GS + GA-K + new AWD and electric technologies give the ES room and hardware to grow into the spot the GS formerly occupied and as a more competitive offering.

IS-ES-LS is probably all Lexus needs right now for sedans. The most legitimate case I could see for a GS return would be a BEV four door coupe, something like a 4-door LC, but we've been talking about such a concept since 2015 and I doubt it's going to materialize at this point.

We get a lot of people making this point on social media, complaining about the end of the GS and hating the ES, but the Crown paints a very positive picture for the next gen ES in my opinion.

ES 350h will probably be 240-250hp hybrid base model
ES 500h will probably be 340hp mid-top-level model
ES 500h F Sport Performance will be 367hp top performance model

... short of the GS F, that's a lot more car than the GS ever offered, and those will all come with AWD. The latter with a performance AWD system that can behave more like RWD.

On the crossover side, I would expect "NZ" and "LZ" on either side of the RZ to fill the gap between the sedans and true SUVs. Crown seems more like a Toyota "will this work?" exercise. If it does -- maybe there is a route for something similar to come to Lexus, and maybe that is the GS, but I suspect it would take some time to make the case...
Agreed on the main-stream LS-ES hierarchy planning. Yet GS-IS could try positioning like the BMW 6-Series and 4-series. I know it’s sad but it seems the market is not buying Lexus version of 3 series or 5 series. ES is one of a kind sedan admit it or not.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Agreed on the main-stream LS-ES hierarchy planning. Yet GS-IS could try positioning like the BMW 6-Series and 4-series. I know it’s sad but it seems the market is not buying Lexus version of 3 series or 5 series. ES is one of a kind sedan admit it or not.
Because Lexus has a 10 y/o IS with old engines and tech. Not sure why they thought giving it new body panels would be beneficial, since the actual plan was to redesign the IS in the first place (makes me mad since IS is my fav Lexus model). And big rwd sedans like GS don't sell that well, ES is what people want. I remember around 2019 the rumored next gen GS was going to be a Lexus version of the Mirai but doubted that. Can only hope that is that Crown sedan is rwd, we get an ICE IS or new GS

Reactions
Because Lexus has a 10 y/o IS with old engines and tech. Not sure why they thought giving it new body panels would be beneficial, since the actual plan was to redesign the IS in the first place (makes me mad since IS is my fav Lexus model). And big rwd sedans like GS don't sell that well, ES is what people want. I remember around 2019 the rumored next gen GS was going to be a Lexus version of the Mirai but doubted that. Can only hope that is that Crown sedan is rwd, we get an ICE IS or new GS

Literally, just give it new powertrains and a platform and it will sell. Hybrids will make it shoot through the roof.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
ES is what people want.
And even then, Lexus did nothing for it to be at its full potential. The first Camry (US) model was more of a Lexus then a Toyota, now the ES barely has anything more than the Camry and other than rear seat space is not on the luxury level of GS. 2GR is not available as AWD or in combination with hybrid, even if there is no more GS 450h and even if a Toyota Highlander has the RX 450h powertrain.

Sedans don't sell well on their own, so making them deliberately bad is a death sentence. Who in their right mind would get a slow sedan when for the same money they can get a fast BMW X3 or Mercedes GLC cuv.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
And even then, Lexus did nothing for it to be at its full potential. The first Camry (US) model was more of a Lexus then a Toyota, now the ES barely has anything more than the Camry and other than rear seat space is not on the luxury level of GS. 2GR is not available as AWD or in combination with hybrid, even if there is no more GS 450h and even if a Toyota Highlander has the RX 450h powertrain.

Sedans don't sell well on their own, so making them deliberately bad is a death sentence. Who in their right mind would get a slow sedan when for the same money they can get a fast BMW X3 or Mercedes GLC cuv.
Agreed. With this next gen we will see T24 ES350 awd, 350H 240hp awd, and 500H awd. But I would take that creamy 2gr with awd in an ES any day.

amoschen7

Fan
Reactions
It’s sad that the 4 debuted NG crowns are FWD models. Rumors have it that there will be more models to come. Actually the full time 4WD on last generation GS was pretty good.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It’s sad that the 4 debuted NG crowns are FWD models. Rumors have it that there will be more models to come. Actually the full time 4WD on last generation GS was pretty good.
The Crown sedan (Majesta) is RWD based. Where it will be sold is another question.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Not even in dreams,
Lexus won't 3ven thought about it
+
Lexus already have FF sedan the ES

Edit1: @Gecko , agree with you but not 100%, the ES will stay sedan and won't get most of Crown to differentiate both from one another

In my view the ES will take all NX/RX engines except the top

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
If and When this magical GS sedan or CUV appears, i hope all those who clamor for its return remember to line up for one as well.

Dont be the Jalopnik comments section who yearn for wagons but forgot about them when mfgs bravely brought some specimens only for them to be clearance specials lol.