Sony VISION-S prototype

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Sony showed off an electric car to highlight its automotive technologies

OGD6Q6R.jpg

Sony has unveiled an electric car -- yes, an actual car -- at CES today. It's the first prototype vehicle under Sony's mobility efforts called the Vision-S initiative, and based on what the tech giant said during its press event, it was built to showcase the automotive technologies it developed and can offer. Sony teamed up with a number of companies such as Bosch, Continental, NVIDIA and Qualcomm, to create the prototype sedan.

It's loaded with 33 sensors, most likely including ones that enable autonomous driving, 360 Reality Audio tech, wide-screen displays and other features. The company didn't reveal much about Vision-S during the event, but we'll get an even closer look at the concept vehicle later this week in Las Vegas. For now, here's what else Sony is sharing about its CES surprise reveal...

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I you van play Gran Turismo with yout HUD this beats Lexus. Seriously literally my two most favourite brands going against each other.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Sony is working on becoming automotive supplier, so they sell this kind of stuff to... Lexus :)
They are not competing... for instance, cameras in new Toyota safety systems from 2018 on are from Sony.
Indeed, this concept notwithstanding, I don't see Sony starting to manufacture cars. If anything, I'm reminded of Yamaha (which pulled its carmaking aspirations after a handful of concept vehicles) and Dyson (which only got as far as a sketch for a potential crossover vehicle).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Indeed, this concept notwithstanding, I don't see Sony starting to manufacture cars. If anything, I'm reminded of Yamaha (which pulled its car making aspirations after a handful of concept vehicles) and Dyson (which only got as far as a sketch for a potential crossover vehicle).

right... it is showcase of their automotive parts bin. For instance there are 36 Sony sensors integrated there.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
This is a PR stunt to promote their move into the automotive market. They now have near monopoly in consumer image sensor market. Samsung got beaten hard and is trying to diversify into automotive sensors and Sony won't let them have it either.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Guys it's production ready , even the fit & finish and the smallest detail

Honestly I hope they produce it, and it's not far from Sony, Sony produce Xperia which lose annually but keep the line to be a showcase product , why they won't make it with this car

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Guys it's production ready , even the fit & finish and the smallest detail

Honestly I hope they produce it, and it's not far from Sony, Sony produce Xperia which lose annually but keep the line to be a showcase product , why they won't make it with this car
I love Xperia so much hoping to replace my XZ2 with 2020 model. PS5 is coming also so I need to replace my Bravia with 8K model.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
i will be the first to take it
everything around me now is SONY already vaio, xperia, bravia, ps, alpha
so what they will name the car with???

Motor

Expert
Reactions

VISION-S Prototype has arrived in Tokyo for advancing our sensing and audio technologies.
The prototype vehicle is also currently under development for public road testing this fiscal year.

Coming to a road near you...maybe.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
It was apparent back in January this is not some out there concept but Honde-E like prototype. Not surprised at all they will test this on the road. Sure they are testing the sensor technology and cabin UX but I would bet my money they are also listening to the feedback real carefully when it comes to whole car.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I still think this is mostly a showpiece for stuff they sell to automakers, but I also think if they decided to actually produce it they'd put serious effort into it. I still remember them taking over the game console market unplanned after they were publicly dissed by Nintendo.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I don't get it

If SONY won't make the vision S so why they are doing a road testing for it ?