Smychavo rambles on cars and a little on ice cream

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Well if that isn't one heck of a difference in cars that she drives then I don't know what is. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

To be fair though, the BMW X# M cars do ride pretty stiff, so the TLX may be a huge step up.

It has nothing to do with the ride stiffness, she doesn't like soft riding cars, we've always had sportier cars. We we've had 8 or 9 BMWs in the last 15 years, including two X6Ms, a 7, a 335 coupe, a 235 coupe, and a M2.

I am thinking the rental TLX must have somehow been a Type S, because there is no way in hell she was going be impressed by anything with a 4 cylinder. We've had dozens of 328/330 and 530 loaners over the years, she's always despised them because they have zero character with the stupid 4 bangers and numb dynamics. And twenty years ago her and I were checking out cars to replace our 1GS3, so we test drove a TSX and a TL type S and she absolutely hated the TSX and was underwhelmed by the TL-S, and we ended up going with a 2GS430.

I just watched Doug Demuro's review of the TLX type S, and he is saying it is legit fast, and my wife is also saying it was crazy fast. Doug wasn't impressed with the handling and the dynamics, and while I'm sure it no M car it can probably more than hold its own against standard trim Germans.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It has nothing to do with the ride stiffness, she doesn't like soft riding cars, we've always had sportier cars. We we've had 8 or 9 BMWs in the last 15 years, including two X6Ms, a 7, a 335 coupe, a 235 coupe, and a M2.

I am thinking the rental TLX must have somehow been a Type S, because there is no way in hell she was going be impressed by anything with a 4 cylinder. We've had dozens of 328/330 and 530 loaners over the years, she's always despised them because they have zero character with the stupid 4 bangers and numb dynamics. And twenty years ago her and I were checking out cars to replace our 1GS3, so we test drove a TSX and a TL type S and she absolutely hated the TSX and was underwhelmed by the TL-S, and we ended up going with a 2GS430.

I just watched Doug Demuro's review of the TLX type S, and he is saying it is legit fast, and my wife is also saying it was crazy fast. Doug wasn't impressed with the handling and the dynamics, and while I'm sure it no M car it can probably more than hold its own against standard trim Germans.
SUVs can be supercar fast, driving feeling will always feel different (worse and less involving) just because of the high sitting position from the road. A worse low car can feel better than a better high car.

Sedans and coupes for ever. Off-roading and cargo just needs a different vehicles (BOF and panelvan), having an "all-in-one" will always be a compromise, whatever marketing tries to sell you.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
My wife just came back from Florida, where she rented a TLX. She has no idea whether it was a type S, or A-Spec, or even just base - she just knows it was red (yeah, i know, i know). Either way, she was very impressed with the car, she said it was very comfortable, very nice inside and out, very quick and responsive to inputs. And she is not easily impressed, her daily is a 2021 X6M.

Now she's checking out Acura website and drooling over the NSX, lol. I personally haven't driven any Acuras in over a decade, since I last drove a 2nd gen MDX. I had short rides in my friend's RDX and ILX, and they felt mediocre. I'm not planning on buying a new car, but now I'm kind of curious to checkout the TLX-S.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the TLX-S', just, not as much as I did awhile ago. (tbh if it was my choice I'd have both lmao) It's really cool feeling the SH-AWD system bringing the car through corners, and I still quite like how the car's styled out. The only real concessions one would make is the fuel economy hit, and the straightline speed.
Oh, and if it really matters to people, it's still front-biased AWD instead of rear compared to X6. Otherwise, it's a fantastic commuter with some chops for spirited driving. Very refined, awesome sound system.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I'm more shocked that my wife actually liked the TLX, she usually dislikes everything besides crazy BMWs. But if we were going to get another sedan, I would be split between an orange IS500 and a black LS500.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
I'm more shocked that my wife actually liked the TLX, she usually dislikes everything besides crazy BMWs. But if we were going to get another sedan, I would be split between an orange IS500 and a black LS500.
Hmmm
if IS then why not a giulia? Hehe
okay but I'd go for that LS, that thing's awesome

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Hey
It's been a minute hasn't it? Man, time flies, preferences shift, and new experiences come by and completely change the way you see things. Case in point, I finally got the rare opportunity to sample the TLX-S and Giulia back to back. I also drove an IS-F too on a separate occasion, and to make a long story short, wow, I truly get it now. That Giulia is a wondrous thing to be behind the wheel in. Absolutely what I want for myself. While I continue to appreciate the former, I came to really realize how limited it feels to be in, and to that extent, I felt a woeful disconnect in its dynamics versus its styling. On the flipside, that IS-F I tried was a stunner, and letting the V8 roar was an experience I never imagined being a part of. The chassis felt superb as well, as if it hadn't aged a day. You can count me in for a sporty Lexus anyday, but I'm admittedly leaning much further towards Alfa, among other Italian makes. I'm certainly enamored with them, that much I know with absolute certainty. Is it a bad decision? Yeah. But ah well, least I go down with something that feels right to me. Something I really couldn't say the same with Acura. šŸ˜…
On the other hand, having more time in Lexuses and other Toyotas have also reinvigorated my love for them too. I'll leave happy going between all of em' someday. Man, they're all so cool. Take it easy, fellas.