Significant Price-Increases for the 2020 Ford Explorer.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Significant Price-Increases for the 2020 Ford Explorer.
Ford has announced pricing on the next-generation 2020 Explorer, and, for the most part, it's get out your wallets. This article will explain some of the details.

https://www.motor1.com/news/305659/2...lorer-pricing/

2020 Ford Explorer Prices Reveal Increase By As Much As $8,000

FEB 16, 2019 at 12:00PM

BY: JACOB OLIVA, Editor

The range-topping Platinum variant almost reaches the $60,000 mark.

The 2020 Explorer is the most tech-laden, most advanced, and has the most impressive powertrain setup among the generations of the nameplate. When it was revealed at the start of this year, Ford said that the starting price of the three-row crossover would be $32,765, excluding the $1,095 destination charge. When compared to the pricing last year, it's just a $400 increase, which is quite expected for an all-new model.

41 Photos

While that pricing remains true for the entry-level trim of the crossover, Cars Direct has revealed the preliminary pricing of the 2020 Explorer based on the ordering guide – and it's something that buyers should be concerned with if they're eyeing the range-topping Platinum variant.

According to Cars Direct, the XLT mid-variant will be offered at $37,770, which is $2,275 more than the pricing of its predecessor in the same trim level. The Limited variant, on the other hand, increased by as much as $5,365 for a sticker price of $49,225. The hybrid engine option for the Limited wasn't mentioned by Cars Direct, but a report by Autoblog mentioned that buyers who would like to go for the Explorer Hybrid would need to shell out $52,780.

Know more about the seemingly expensive all-new Ford Explorer

Explore The Ford Explorer's 6-Generation LineageThe most shocking increase would be with the performance-oriented, 400-horsepower Explorer ST. Comparing it to the Explorer Sport last year, the new ST variant's asking price is higher by $8,115 at a price tag of $55,835. But of course, that price is handsomely paid for with the Explorer ST's wide plethora of features such as a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster, trailer tow package, and Ford’s Active Park Assist 2.0 automatic parking system. And that's on top of the 400-hp twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6 engine.

The range-topping Platinum trim would be the most-expensive Explorer this summer, as it will be sold for $59,345, which is $4,085 higher than its predecessor's.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm not sure what Ford is doing with their pricing and brand positioning, and I'm also not sure it's working. You can get most of the Explorer's competition in high spec trims for $45-48k. This thing going from the mid-$50s into the $60s is a stretch and seriously getting into luxury SUV territory. I'm all for higher trim levels... but damn... give the Aviator some breathing room.

Dealers here are already advertising $15k off on Expeditions and have been for the last few months, while the Navigator is flying off the lot. It seems like once you get into these higher tier "Platinum" trims, people are just jumping up to a Lincoln or elsewhere. A decently equipped Expedition is ~$63-65k these days, and they go into the $80k range.

Also, with it being Ford, we know pretty well that window stickers will not be indicative of transaction prices, so I expect most of these expensive trims to be selling for the $45-$52k within 4 months.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
400HP RWD SUVs will last exactly until the moment some soccer mom rolls one with 6 kids in it on wet pavement.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
400HP RWD SUVs will last exactly until the moment some soccer mom rolls one with 6 kids in it on wet pavement.

......You mean like they rolled 200 HP RWD SUVs 20 years ago?

3-2-MVAI205.jpg

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
To be fair, that was due to an actual defect. This'll just be giving people more car than they can handle.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I haven't researched it, but I assume the 400hp version will be AWD? In that case, there are plenty of those running the streets these days.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I cannot believe how badly they botched the front end of this thing. The old one is decent looking. The new one is terrible.

As I look the thumbnail I can't really say which one is newer. My guess is right one.

Motorsnwheels

Follower
Reactions
I agree that Ford is getting out of hand with pricing. MSRP may not be what people ever pay but its a starting number for one, and if they offer heavy rebates it doesn't help the overall value of the vehicle. This new Explorer seems over priced to me, we'll have to see how the new Highlander prices out, but I also look at the Ford F150 and how stupid those are priced. The average or most common F150 sold is an XLT with 302a package, right around $50,000 give or take for a few options. Then they throw $10k worth of rebates and incentives at you so now its $40k and Ford still makes money and you have a vehicle with less value. It just doesn't make sense to me. I hope with Toyotas new vehicles they keep it reasonable, such as the new Highlander and the upcoming Tundra.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I cannot believe how badly they botched the front end of this thing. The old one is decent looking. The new one is terrible.

I'm not loving Ford design under Moray Callum, save for the Bronco. I really preferred J Mays' vision, paired with Alan's leadership. Seems everything signed off from 2014 to present (2017+ models) is hit or miss. To be honest, I've detested both Callum brothers' works in many cases, but it does vary. (worked with Ian as engineer)