Say Good-Bye to the Base VW Golf in the U.S.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
VW is phasing out the availability of inexpensive base-Golf models in the U.S., but keeping the GTI and R.

You might want to click onto the link itself.....I had problems posting some parts of it.

Say goodbye to the Volkswagen Golf, as production for the U.S. officially ends
The 2021 model year Golf is the last we'll see of VW's base hatchback

ZAC PALMER

Jan 21st 2021 at 10:48AM
    comments
2021 VW Golf

2021 VW Golf

Volkswagen Golf VII

MORE PHOTOS

2021 VW Golf

Large-12612-2021Golf.jpg

12615-2021Golf.jpg

9635-GolfVII-2018.jpg

Large-12601-2021Golf.jpg

• 2021 VW Golf
  • Image Credit: VW

Volkswagen quietly ended production of the venerable Golf last week for the U.S. market. Of course, the new Mk 8 Golf will continue in other locales, but not here. Instead, Volkswagen is limiting our Mk 8 consumption to the high performance GTI and Golf R. That’s perfectly satisfactory for enthusiasts who wanted one of those anyway, but those wanting a humble Golf won’t see one in 2022.
If you do want a base Golf, VW says it’s produced enough model year 2021 Golfs at the Puebla, Mexico, plant to sustain sales through the end of the year. It’s a simplified Golf this year with only one trim available (Golf TSI). The 1.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder produces 147 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque, and you can have it with either a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic.
That single trim is a well-equipped one, so the base price isn’t cheap. The manual starts at $24,190, and the automatic at $24,990, both prices including the $995 destination charge. If you want to wait for the Mk 8 GTI and Golf R, Volkswagen confirmed yet again that those models are on track for a 2022 model year launch. We expect them to make their American introductions this fall.

Volkswagen Golf - Generation one to seven

undefined

undefined

undefined

undefined

Reactions
Not surprised...those wanting the hatch are going GTI. Always liked the Golf more than the Jetta.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
VW is an America suv company now.

I'm not sure how you came up with that one. Besides SUV's/crossovers, VW still has several regular passenger-cars left in the U.S.....Passat, Arteon, Jetta, and upmarket versions of the Golf, even if the base-level is gone.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I'm not sure how you came up with that one. Besides SUV's/crossovers, VW still has several regular passenger-cars left in the U.S.....Passat, Arteon, Jetta, and upmarket versions of the Golf, even if the base-level is gone.

No one buys their cars. Never really did. They finally caved and dropped being quirky for mainstream and sales have exploded with their SUVs. Can’t blame them.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
No one buys their cars. Never really did. They finally caved and dropped being quirky for mainstream and sales have exploded with their SUVs. Can’t blame them.
I don't know about that... cars aren't selling very well now but they still sell the GTI/R, Jetta, and Passat. They also used to sell the heck out of the Beetle. Yes, it has helped them to offer more SUVs, but the "people's car" never really sold? Say what?

Reactions
I don't know about that... cars aren't selling very well now but they still sell the GTI/R, Jetta, and Passat. They also used to sell the heck out of the Beetle. Yes, it has helped them to offer more SUVs, but the "people's car" never really sold? Say what?
They perhaps might drop the Arteon next when its life cycle ends; Passat isn't faring well either, but its very American and its production is here in Tennessee too. Enthusiasts would flip out if they ever discontinued the GTI. Heck, I was thinking about a Jetta GLI as a potential next car.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I agree with Mike in a general "what I'm seeing on the road" way. VW SUVs outnumber cars pretty dramatically now. It's not like 1998 where seemingly every 3rd car in traffic was a New Beetle.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I am not surprised. Americans do not like hatchbacks -- unless they sit on lifted suspensions and are labelled as utility vehicles.

And mid-sized sedans have all but been replaced by crossovers. Chevy and Ford have bowed out of this market segment. What little demand is left is supplied by the Camry, Accord and a few stubborn hangers-on, like the Nissan Altima, Hyundai Sonata and Mazda 6. (If Mazda was smart, they would replace the 6 with a nice, properly mid-sized, 2-row crossover between the CX-5 and CX-9.)

I just found this report that said that both the Arteon and the Passat, which I only see at the autoshow, are being cancelled.

The Passat (and it predecessors) never sold well; neither did the upmarket Arteon (and I don't remember the CC selling well either). Americans find Volkswagens to be too expensive as mass-market vehicles, which is why the Jetta has to be built cheaply in Mexico to sell.

That leaves VW's crossovers. Having been criticised for the longest time for having not enough crossovers, VW finally has a few different models to sell.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I agree with Mike in a general "what I'm seeing on the road" way. VW SUVs outnumber cars pretty dramatically now. It's not like 1998 where seemingly every 3rd car in traffic was a New Beetle.

True to an extent, but if you actually think back to 1998, although the Beetle was, yes, popular, that was only its first year, and the REAL road-hogs, back then, were the Explorer, Grand Cherokee, and Outback.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I have to admit I don’t even know anyone with a base Golf. They are all GTi or R owners. I guess it makes sense.