Rumor: Lexus Vehicles to Get Twin-Turbo V6 Engine Option?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It is way more than that, and again it all has to with customer/consumer ignorance and business profit. The main difference between a normal car (sedan) and a sports car (mostly coupe) is in dynamics. A sports car, to fulfill its purpose, has to be faster than a normal car, so to achieve this you would technically focus on suspension geometry (double wishbone), center of gravity (dry sump, low roof height thus little head room), weight distribution (mid-engine, transaxle if front engine to get rear biased distribution), low overall weight (and thus loss of practicality like rear seats).

What you have done, though, in this paragraph, and in the rest of your response, is basically describe the differences between a sports-car and a typical coupe. The two are not necessarily the same. Some sports cars are 2-door coupes...others, such as the Mazda RX-8, are not...they have two small rear half-doors.

Conclusion: The job of defining is given to the marketing department, and that is an error, it must be given to the engineering department. I want products to be built by engineers, not marketeers.

I agree with that. That's one reason I always liked Bob Lutz.....he insisted that company products be designed by car enthusiasts and engineers, not bean-counters or marketers.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Interesting. How about we put the TT V6 from the new LS into an IS and we'll make a quick IS F. I feel like the RC F and GS F engines should be replaced too......

Might (?) be a question of availability. An engine plant, even with multiple labor-shifts, can turn out only so many completed blocks in one day......and if those blocks have to go into too many of the company's vehicles, there could be supply problems. And companies don't have unlimited resources to simply build more and more engine plants, or hire an unlimited number of more employees....they often have to budget what money and resources have.

Welcome to Lexus Enthusiast, BTW.....I see you are an almost-brand-new poster. :)