Rumor: Lexus UX Subcompact Crossover Arriving October 2018?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-05-31-lexus-ux-rear-image.jpg

Japanese magazine Mag-X also has a new rendering to look at.
View the original article post

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
hopefully someone can translate something ... i can see awd and 2.5l hybrid

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Some elements of this render I like, and some I don't (I guess that's always the case :) ).

I hope Lexus doesn't plan to do a wrap around tail light structure, a la Kia and Lincoln. No thank you.

LDeleuran

Fan
Reactions
Some elements of this render I like, and some I don't (I guess that's always the case :) ).

I hope Lexus doesn't plan to do a wrap around tail light structure, a la Kia and Lincoln. No thank you.
There is a fine balance to this design element (single tail lamp). The trunk line cutouts will always cheapen the design significantly. If Lexus decides to make it a single unit without those lines from the concept, then it could appear quite luxurious.

Fortunately Lexus has more ponies in the stable regarding rear light designs. The one-way-mirror trick units from the new LC are quite amazing with their 3D effect.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Hopefully it looks absolutely nothing like those appalling sketches!

James

Founding Member
Reactions
So if it's launching late 2018 when should official details come out? Released end of this year or wait till NAIAS next year for official release?

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Leave all the cheapness to Toyota rather focus on things like LC RC LS IS RX GX and LX. even those I'd try to take the IS and RX a little upscale. Lexus can't even meet demand because most Lexus are Japan only made yet they keep wanting to join the party

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Lexus needs an off-road capable (low-range, three diff-locks, 4wd and 4ws with IFS and IRS, KDSS, high ground clearance and short overhangs) that also drives well on the road and is reliable. Most SUVs defeat the purpose of being SUVs.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
In fairness, 99% of SUV drivers defeat the purpose of being SUVs.

If Toyota hadn't killed the FJ, they could've beefed it up and luxed it up and voila: Lexus G-Wagen.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Looks right! Change the grille to mesh please for all models and upscale interior beyond the current Ct range. Well done hope it is accurate rendering.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I actually preferred the beefed-up wide-stance of the concept. I find the production renderings make it a little pudgy-looking a la Buick Encore which is not my cup-of-tea. We'll see...

2017-buick-encore-mov-performance-17BUER00073-938x528-03.jpg

Levi

Expert
Reactions
In fairness, 99% of SUV drivers defeat the purpose of being SUVs.

If Toyota hadn't killed the FJ, they could've beefed it up and luxed it up and voila: Lexus G-Wagen.

If most drivers don't use SUVs as they can be used, that does not mean they should not be capable or being used in the way they were intended for.

The problem is that except Land Rover/Range Rover, the Jeep and the G-Wagon (leaving out pick-up trucks), SUVs are not off-road capable (is reliability part of that capability?). Any van will have more space and thanks to sliding rear doors, more space and functionality, and any lifted wagon, will be just as good "off-road" as those pseudo-off-roaders, while handle better on-road than any of those. Subaru Forester, Outback and XV are prime examples that concept.

Reactions
As someone else said, those magazine sketches are appalling. The UX Concept on the other hand looks great and gives me some hope of Lexus' future, design-wise. The UX Concept's spindle grill i for instance the first time the spindle looks particularly good. The IS is too ugly. The pre facelift GS 450h is beautiful and a great car, but with tiny boot and non folding rear seats(And no BMW GT-esque option, it is to impractical. The new RX 450h is too ugly. The NX 300h is OK, actually.
I hope it's not just at Toyota CHR with a Lexus shell and I hope they give it some sort of revolutionary new hybrid-system and AWD.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
AWD?

CHR seems to be doing well at the parents shop right? Any way that doesn't have AWD system which is severely disappointing to say the least. Hope the UX since they axed the hatch will have a lot more goodies.