Lexus Has Cancelled the GS Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Still rumors. It will be interesting to see what happens. In any event, it looks like the GS will be around for awhile even if they don't develop it further, but I am going to guess that they will put it on the GAL platform

Reactions: RAL

Izzam@RegencyAuto

Founding Member
Reactions
I am not surprised about this rumor. The current GS was the style leader for the new spindle grille and platform (RC & IS) . In the US the GS sales dropped 59.9% from 2015-2016. With the arrival of the LC and LS the GS will feel dated. I feel the IS has been limited to growth due to the GS. The IS is a very important vehicle for Lexus International. With the sedan market sales slowly declining the really isn't any room for the GS, E classe, 5 series and A6/S6.

Lexus is willing to make significant investment in the ES with a new factory in Kentucky and great manufacture incentives to be competitive is driving sales. 6,239 ES were sold in the US in 2016. NX sold 7,375 in 2016. It's an important model! I really wish Lexus had more engine choices for the GS that would make it more successful. Having an and having a 300h or 300 and at that price point would make it very competitive. The platform had so much potential having an AWD option, however it comes down to the fact that the ES came first. It might be an overstatement but Lexus would never cut the ES or LS.

So what's next... I would love to see an electrified Lexus. Call it RX e and RS e! What's an RS? 4 door coupe...??? I pray for a larger IS European influenced offerings, sedan, wagon, 4 door coupe, IS F... So much potential with this nameplate.

Toyota should build a twin turbo V6 4Runner and kill the GX.

asoksevil

Fan
Reactions
Lexus needs to do something incredible to keep the GS afloat.

1. The GS was the first to introduce the new spindle grille of Lexus. It is certainly old, and needs to have a proper redesign a la new LS.
2. Step up the game, as the model directly below the LS, it should have more elements from the LS than the IS.
3. Keep same engine choices, 200t, 350, 300h, 450h.
4. Killing it without adding an option between the ES and the LS is completely dumb unless you are just giving up that share of the market. There's a huge stretch from each category.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
You can't convince me that 5LS design decisions didn't impact '18 GS development. Something is going on and we will soon find out what exactly. Lexus cannot afford another vanilla GS, not because of Germans but because of both upcoming ES and LS. Just take a deep breath and remember that new V8 F engine will be looking for a lean four door design to poke an eye into competition and brand awareness. And no ES nor LS fall into that category to get the most out of that engine. So something has to come our way, if not next year then maybe in three years.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
There is no way in hell Lexus will get rid of the GS. They might as well close shop and go home.

The GS sits perfectly between the IS and LS. Every car manufacturer has one.

BMW 3, 5, 7
MB C, E, S
Audi 4, 6, 8
Jaguar XE, XF, XJ
Cadillac ATS, CTS, XTS

Need I keep going?

What Lexus needs to get rid of is the ES Series. It has no place in their lineup. It is not that big a step up from a Toyota Avalon. Every dealership has been able to sell a Toyota Avalon over an ES because they can easily say, same chassis, same manufacturer the only difference is the trim and the badge. Which in all honestly is not that far from the truth.

Also, the car isn't even an option in some parts of the world, like the UK.

GS will stay but the ES may go.

Reactions
Get rid of the ES? The ES is pretty much Lexus's bread and butter car right next to the RX and a close second with the NX. What they're probably going to do and SHOULD do is have the ES in an AWD platform. So many people buy the ES, but many buyers are turned off to it in this region (northeast) due to being only FWD. So that leaves them with two choices in sedans an IS which is smaller, less features and a different drive. Or the GS which has everything and more but also carries a hearty price tag and doesn't lease out nearly as well as the ES.

However if you add AWD to the ES now your expanding your market value on a car that already sells so well to begin with. You double your market. Also allows them to maybe redesign a "GS" from the ground up, which wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially with the new LS design and the up coming ES design changes the Gs is slowly getting lost, so why not cut it while you can.

Also CT and GX are also going be gone too.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Get rid of the ES? The ES is pretty much Lexus's bread and butter car right next to the RX and a close second with the NX. What they're probably going to do and SHOULD do is have the ES in an AWD platform. /QUOTE]

The only reason it is is because it sits between the IS and the GS. Kill it and buyers will buy the GS if they want a car bigger than the IS.

The objective is not to flood the market or make cars that confuse buyers. I understand the purpose of almost every car in the Mercedes lineup as well as BMW, Audi etc.. Why is there an ES? A FWD in the Lexus lineup is not necessary.

I vote for Lexus to axe the ES and put more resources into the GS.

Reactions
I see what your saying because yes the GS is awesome, but giving people an option of having AWD in the ES is a smart move. People are given options they're able to choose. We are in no way shape or form as complicated as BMW, or Benz with all the various models they have. We keep it pretty clean cut.

That's a huge disparity to jump between the IS and the GS- not only in size but price. I'm a good example. I like both pretty much all the sedans we offer. I like the ES for mpgs, and its damn comfy to just ride in. Plenty of space for adults and to store stuff from the store. However being in NY I prefer to have AWD. ES doesnt have it so where do I look. GS- love it, dont love the price tag, worse mpgs, lack of space in rear. So I go to my only other option. The IS, in my price point, handles very well, however it lacks alot of small amenities.

It really boils down to the buyer and what they want but if you cut out the center of the bread and only leave the crust...that's not so filling.

They'll kill the GS for now, revamp it and bring it back in some capacity, as a logistical move its smart. Improve on something that already does very well. Its not going to flood the market but I can 100% guarantee you here in NY ppl would take and AWD ES any day.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Interesting rumour - possibly not without foundation. For a long time now i have felt that the ES is a difficulty for Lexus their best seller but does not fit the Lexus line up anymore. What to do - ?
Cannot see the new LS as a replacement for the GS surely not - too big and a limo actually. The GS has been given the power of a sports saloon yet somehow is let down by its rather big and bulky style especially at the rear, it is no bigger than a Five series yet looks much bigger on the road and is much more in your face.
The Spindle Grille also remains so controversial for many Lexus fans when will they get over it? It was introduced to create an identity well it has done that now refine and reduce please. The new GS frontal aspect is especially aggressive looking and probably divides opinion and Lexus do not need to do that - their cars are excellent so wish they would relax and style their vehicles a little more conservatively.
Not sure how Toyota sees Lexus in South Africa the Lexus simply does not retain its value like a Toyota does which is an interesting anomaly i think.
Just recently Lexus here have starting offering guaranteed buy backs no doubt in an effort to improve their poor re sale value here.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Argh ... I hate it when I accidentally turn my post into a quote ...

You make some valid points but you're forgetting the fact that the ES has not penetrated all markets. Killing the GS will leave many countries with a void that, I'm sorry the ES cannot fill.

From wikipedia:

In Europe, Japan, and other markets where it is not available, the Lexus GS sport sedans occupy the mid-size category in the Lexus lineup. In the United States, the Lexus ES has been the best-selling Lexus sedan for over fifteen years.[7][8][9]

The only reason it is still available is because of the US market. There are many other reasons why it should not.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions

My thoughts exactly. They need to relax that angry face on the GS and make it look less aggressive.

Actually, the whole current line up needs it.

If I want a sporty looking GS I will get the GS F Sport. If I don't, GS please with the all the quietness and luxury of the ES without the bulky sporty body.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Hey Dreski, damn shame really... Im thinking my only real Lexus option may be the GSF BUT, they will probably kill that off also if the GS is going away...

Thinking now about a) E class AMG43 b) 2018 BMW M550i c)Cadillac CTS-V - any thoughts on these models?

M550

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Mismanagement of this brand is mind-blowing! Either develop to compete or just collect money like Arsenal FC. They're not going to fight Akio this time. GS is gone. It will go on limp mode w refreshes & updates but its basically an ex-wife. Just sign the papers. I gave up. Just give me a proper new gen IS F in the next 3-4yrs.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
Oh yes, I have looked at the CTS-V, a very very nice and fast car. I am not sure about it's overall reliability compared with a Lexus and I don't think as much care goes into a CTS as Lexus, but it is ranked very high and seems to get a lot of praise in reviews.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Maybe the next ES will be a GS if you see what i mean - a model larger than the IS Sports Saloon but more svelte in style and luxurious. Perhaps with different model name altogether. The price of the ES and the IS is so close that this car costs sales to both the IS and the GS?
I would think that Toyota do well with the Avalon and this is available in the range and possibly confuses customers. Difficult position that they find themselves in - ES is the Lexus in the USA but not elsewhere so it is a problem. It is almost as though Lexus never expected to expand beyond the USA - what suits the USA does not suit Europe etc., popular cars elsewhere are somewhat more compact and conservative both in size and style.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Well first of all, the GS needs a huge makeover. The interior just isn't competitive enough compared to the competition:
2014_lexus_gs_350_dashboard.jpg

That is the GS interior, which is not too bad, but the layout and the way it looks is just too boring compared to today's competitors, like:
15C1205_006-980x653.jpg

the new E-Class which is literally a smaller S-Class interior.

Lexus needs to use some elements from the new LS and put them in the next generation GS interior. Right now, it is not competitive at all in its segment.

Also Lexus needs to tone down its styling as Mohammed Taha said. The base GS now looks to sporty to attract regular customers IMO. Sure, there are customers who want a sporty looking sedan, but that is what the F Sport package is for. The regular GS looks too aggressive. Especially compared to its competitors, which look so much more elegant and luxurious from the outside.

I doubt that Lexus is going to kill the ES, because it gets so many sales, even though it ruins the brands reputation in some ways. But Lexus cares more about its money, so they are more likely to kill the enthusiasts car rather than the money machine.

I hope that Lexus gives the GS one more chance, and if it is done properly, it will be successful.

Reactions
This better be a rumor, the ES should be axed if you ask me, it's gnawing away at GS sales. They need to stop neglecting the GS like it's an unwanted stepchild, that car has lots of potential. If this happens Mercedes will definitely be earning my business.
I totally agree. If Lexus gets rid of the GS my next purchase will be an S550 for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.