Lexus Has Cancelled the GS Sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Too many of those sales personnel fail to highlight the advantages of the GS over the ES and only care about an easy sale. If Lexus USA and Canada do not zero in on this sales problem, then redesigning this product may not be worthwhile, unless they want to market its replacement as an A7 or CLS competitor.

Exactly! The sales problem starts in the dealers' showroom, extends to the "easy sale" ES and ends with restricted advertising support from Lexus. The current GS is a wonderful car, and a new one would be even better, but (IMO) without a focused and persistent marketing strategy all the way to the dealer floor, the GS will continue to struggle.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-03-15-lexus-gs-cancelled.jpg

A rumor from Japanese magazine MAG-X claims GS development has been suspended.
View the original article post

SteVVT-i

Fan
Reactions
"doesn’t/won’t play a desired role in the lineup." *that would be the ES. If Lexus is serious about their sporty image they should do away with the ES. Lexus will always be seen as "rebadged Toyotas as long as that high volume rebadged Camry is in the lineup.

It would be very stupid for Lexus to discontinue the GS. As Krew mentioned, midsize sedans are the pinnacle of luxury performance sedans - which is what Lexus is pursuing. They just need to give the next gen model the same level of attention as the LS500 with plenty of power and dynamics. Give it a lower starting price to bridge the gap between it and the ES to make up the lost sales (leave the FWD crap to Lincoln.) The UX will also make up lost sales of the ES (it will probably cannibalize it anyway.)

RAL

Reactions
I hope this is only rumor though my instincts and the insights of our more knowledgeable members leads me to believe otherwise. IMO the GS needs to be re-positioned properly between the ES and LS. The ES is incomparable to the GS in regards to performance. But there is too much overlap aesthetically. The GS needs completely redesigned skin from bumper to bumper befitting its superior performance and price premium. Eliminating the GS would leave far too large a niche gap between the ES and LS. The new LS will widen this gap even more. I doubt seriously Lexus will risk any significant change in the positioning of their ES cash cow even though it is far too Avalon-like. Lexus needs to stop neglecting the GS like an unwanted child ... using it to debut new polarizing fascia design language while neglecting to correlate the design language of the remainder of the car ... allowing it to be overlooked in the showroom ... etc.

Last edited:

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
Thank you sir for the detail, much appreciated! Looks like I will be changing brands...

I am down to 1 Lexus now.... Baffled by @Lexus. Each time at the stealerships my fam and I get peddled to SUVs, CUVs. So disappointed. After this CT dies, I'm done (unless). No IS-F, killing the GS smh. I want an IS-F and a GS-F(not the current) Until then I'm with you Dean. Decision made M550 or 540i-M fully kitted, wifey loves it so its bye-bye for the foreseeable future it seems.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I hope this is only rumor though my instincts and the insights of our more knowledgeable members leads me to believe otherwise. IMO the GS needs to be re-positioned properly between the ES and LS. The ES is incomparable to the GS in regards to performance. But there is too much overlap aesthetically. The GS needs completely redesigned skin from bumper to bumper befitting its superior performance and price premium. Eliminating the GS would leave far too large a niche gap between the ES and LS. The new LS will widen this gap even more. I doubt seriously Lexus will risk any significant change in the positioning of their ES cash cow even though it is far too Avalon-like. Lexus needs to stop neglecting the GS like an unwanted child ... using it to debut new polarizing fascia design language while neglecting to correlate the design language of the remainder of the car ... allowing it to be overlooked in the showroom ... etc., etc.
I agree with you RAL. My parents own an ES and it blows my mind how they can move people from buying a GS to an ES. It's not even close in my eyes. I think the ES has a great niche and sells well but if I'm looking at the Lexus line up I look at IS/GS and just depends how much you can afford you go with that one. The LS looks amazing and price should rise for it so what are they going to do? Not have a GS because it's a V6 like the LS? Well are we not going to have a V6 option on an IS now either? If they get rid of the GS the Is needs to grow majorly and will need a V6 and an ISF optionor we are going to have a major gap in the sedan world. The ES is a great car but it's not sporty at all or even has an AWD option. Don't know if this is true but like RAL said it seems like more knowledgeable people have insights.

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
The agrument with V6 engine is absolute nosense. How could LS compete in downpart segment where GS currently is. The new generation LS is another lvl compared to the last generation so it is not possible to put LS into this segment by any kind of agrument. It would devaluate its whole sense and position in the market.

Axel

Fan
Reactions
Lexus should worry more about styling the IS correct. The GS should always stay as a bigger brother to the IS.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
This better be a rumor, the ES should be axed if you ask me, it's gnawing away at GS sales. They need to stop neglecting the GS like it's an unwanted stepchild, that car has lots of potential. If this happens Mercedes will definitely be earning my business.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
IS could be a tad bigger - more leg and head room would be nice. I say grow the IS, upsize the GS and scrap the ES.

Oh yeah... that whole thing about the "business case"... guess that won't happen.

Reactions: RAL

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I sincerely hope that Lexus keeps the GS line. I've owned a few over the years (GS400, 300 and 350), but my complaint has been that they are not very fun to drive (but I have not driven the GS F, which I hear is more enjoyable but not ranked very high in its class). I am hoping that the new GAL platform and a more powerful engine (than the V6 3.5l) will make it more fun to drive. I'd like to get another sedan. The LS is too big for me, and the ES is far too soft, a car for grandparents (no offense intended to ES lovers). So, if I stay with Lexus, it will be a new GS, likely a GS F or equivalent. But if the new GS is not exciting enough, there is the A6, S6, or Panamera (but that's rather pricey).

Thanks for these posts. I am learning quite a bit about the different engines and Lexus development plans. It's nice to hear all of this news as well.

D

DDas

What's the point in making a GS-F if you're just going to kill it off the entire lineup (even though it was rushed)? Mr. Toyoda, you're a great guy, but just because YOU dont want the GS, does not mean WE, the BUYERS, do not want it. The GS has always been a great car, and it has been able to beat the competition in some ways.
It is dated. Sales are bad because of that. There is a new E Class, a new 5 Series, almost a new A6, CTS is newer, etc. It's one of the oldest ones in this class. The current generation looks like a larger 2IS to me too, so it was almost dated when it came out. The styling needs to be new, not current because I have to admit: it is not the most attractive Lexus nor the most attractive in its class.
I feel the ES needs to be the "four-door coupe" competitor (so let is grow and become that) and let the GS stay the way it is. Amp up the performance of it (especially the GS-F).
DO NOT KILL THE GS.
How can you be a premium brand and not have a competitor in this class? The GS needs to stay.

C.Guenther

Founding Member
Reactions
I own a GS. A good car, but inside it is too small. I need more space.
The position against the BMW and Mercedes is inconsequent: more engines, a space wagon option like Touring or T-Model is needed (esp for Europe)
If Lexus cancels the GS I will switch to BMW 5-Series.
But in Germany the dealer are unable to sell it against Jaguar or the Germans

Levi

Expert
Reactions
ES could be the practical comfortable FWD car as it is, GS could become the more sporty RWD/AWD 4 door 4 seat "coupe" sports limousine, like the CLS/CLE, the A7 and the 6 GranCoupe.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
ES could be the practical comfortable FWD car as it is, GS could become the more sporty RWD/AWD 4 door 4 seat "coupe" sports limousine, like the CLS/CLE, the A7 and the 6 GranCoupe.

great idea, Levi!

Reactions
I am down to 1 Lexus now.... Baffled by @Lexus. Each time at the stealerships my fam and I get peddled to SUVs, CUVs. So disappointed. After this CT dies, I'm done (unless). No IS-F, killing the GS smh. I want an IS-F and a GS-F(not the current) Until then I'm with you Dean. Decision made M550 or 540i-M fully kitted, wifey loves it so its bye-bye for the foreseeable future it seems.
Hey Dreski, damn shame really... Im thinking my only real Lexus option may be the GSF BUT, they will probably kill that off also if the GS is going away...

Thinking now about a) E class AMG43 b) 2018 BMW M550i c)Cadillac CTS-V - any thoughts on these models?

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
I seriously don't think they will kill off the GS. I have heard rumors that the GS will have the new GAL platform. Anyway, there always is the LC 500 as well.

Reactions
Peter I seriously hope they don't cause I love my GS and plan to change out my lease end this year (hopefully for the 2018 GS...). If not then a switch will be my only real option. PS: The LS is nice but too damn expensive... :)

mordecai

Follower
Reactions
Its development will be "suspended" just like how the 5LS development was suspended for 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.