rodent engine blockage in RX 350

Reactions
I was told by the dealer that I needed wire mesh put into my engine compartment to block rodents from getting into the inside of my 2016 RX 350. Is this a common problem anyone else has experienced. The cost was $ 600.

RAL

Reactions
Welcome new member jzuur!

I have heard of rodents causing damage to wiring, etc., but I thought this was true in the case of older vehicles where access to the engine compartment was less restricted.

Reactions
Welcome new member jzuur!

I have heard of rodents causing damage to wiring, etc., but I thought this was true in the case of older vehicles where access to the engine compartment was less restricted.
Thanks for your input. Do you have any idea, when you say "older" vehicles, what year that this became a problem. Would this include RX 350 made in 2016?

RAL

Reactions
No, I'm speaking out of conjecture. There may be others here who can advise you. If not, I would be inclined to trust your Lexus dealer to solve the problem.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Are they actually getting inside as in the interior, or just into the engine compartment and causing damage?

Reactions
Thanks for your input. I think it is just the engine compartment (so the rep. says) and I assumed the wire mesh was to keep them out of inside of the vehicle. But, maybe it was just to keep them out of engine compartment? Should I ask him if this wire mesh restriction is just so they can't get into the engine department?

RAL

Reactions
Thanks for your input. I think it is just the engine compartment (so the rep. says) and I assumed the wire mesh was to keep them out of inside of the vehicle. But, maybe it was just to keep them out of engine compartment? Should I ask him if this wire mesh restriction is just so they can't get into the engine department?

No harm in asking the service rep exactly what the $600 cost is buying and exactly what problem it will solve. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Reactions
Thanks. Will do. Check it out - have him show me "activity" and what they purpose to do about it. Seems like a lot of $ for the job.