Reviews & News: The Lexus LC 500

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
"When I describe the LC 500 to people, I don't use car words. I use... dessert words."

Will1991

Reactions
Suddenly I've realized, I'm starting to doubt about V8 cancelation for Lexus...

We can clearly see there isn't a hybrid version for the LC convertible, most probably due to chassis reinforcement:

LC-Convertible-structure-01.jpg

And required space for the top to fold down:
Lexus-LC-Convertible-roof-mech-02.jpg

This being said, Lexus is pushing it really hard (marketing wise) to sell it as making all the perfect sound:

"The interior body structure has optimal placement and shape of braces to yield high dynamic performance faithful to the driver's intentions. And thanks to the car's robust and sensual sounding V8, the LC 500 Convertible accelerates in a pleasantly linear manner."

"Creating the ideal engine note
Lexus engineers enhanced the pulsating sound characteristics of the LC Convertible’s large-capacity V8 engine by using acoustic technologies. "

Even the first ad, it clearly wants to show the engine note when you put the top down:

This being said, in my opinion:
  1. V6+Hybrid will not go into the LC convertible since it doesn't have enough space for the traction battery
  2. V35A-FTS, even with a tuned exhaust doesn't sound as good as the V8 (see bellow)

So, in conclusion, I really think for the facelift (due to next year) will bring a new V8 in different states of tune, to keep LC going and to power LF-1 / LX.

Last edited:

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I don't it is a matter of what Lexus WANTS to do. It is a matter of what the CAFE emissions standards etc. are forcing the industry to do. If Lexus allows 2UR engine to continue then it will be very difficult for them to meet European emissions standards overall in terms of what is required. Especially, if RCF production ends in 2021, there will be even less of a business case to keep producing this engine in such small numbers since all of the R&D cost for the 2UR engine was absorbed during RCF development in 2013 - 2014.

That is why they would need to go with downsized turbo engines in order to avoid being left behind. I believe, if LC500 is going to continue in subsequent years, it will have a more powerful version of the 3.5 Liter V6 in the LS500. That is my prediction.

Will1991

Reactions
@Levi , and announce it before the postponed Nurburing 24h test? We officially know they wanted to test it "one last time".

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I haven't seen that green before, it looks incredible. Then again, the LC always looks incredible.

Reactions
I haven't seen that green before, it looks incredible. Then again, the LC always looks incredible.
For me also, that picture's green would be an awesome green. However, that picture has been modified in some way. In the video, it's clear they have a Nori Green LC. [I also checked to see if Lexus Canada had different colors, but it's the same palette]
I want to like the Nori Green, but I just cannot. I would absolutely love the picture's shade, but would need some tinted glasses to make it that way ...

Reactions
Why does the lc500 sound so much meaner than the rcf? Its the opposite of what it should be. The lc500 is an awesome luxury cruiser and the rcf is an m3 competitor. Nori is nice but I do think a deeper racing or forest green would be amazing. Ugh if only car seats could fit in the back...

mikeavelli

Reactions
Why does the lc500 sound so much meaner than the rcf? Its the opposite of what it should be. The lc500 is an awesome luxury cruiser and the rcf is an m3 competitor. Nori is nice but I do think a deeper racing or forest green would be amazing. Ugh if only car seats could fit in the back...

Different acoustics... they nailed the LC... RC F still sounds good to me though