RC200T

Reactions
Call me greedy, but I love the fact that there are so few RCs on the road. This can mostly be attributed to the fact that it's a new model, but I think it also has a lot to do with the base model in the US being an RC350. If an RC200t is offered, the car would be widespread and everywhere with the lower base price and affordability. I see IS's everywhere since the 250 is such a hot seller and would hate to see these cars everywhere like that. Sorry, just being brutally honest.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Probably won't make you particularly happy, but we'll most likely see the RC 200t later this year.

I really don't think this is a bad thing. There will also be a new V6 coming, so a ~250hp base engine and ~330hp upper level engine build out a solid stable. I just wish the RC 300h was also an option, but hopefully for the next generation.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Well it has outsold the A5 and G37 the last two months and is still relatively new but won't selling amounts like a Mustang or Camaro....

I think they want to see about 1,000 a month, the IS sells between 4-5k most months....

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Coupes have always been lower volume than equivalent sedans, but the growing lux coupe market deserves the attention its getting in recent years. Personally I'm thinking of a premium sports coupe to replace my IS350 sedan later. And the RC and redesigned (2016) Mercedes C-class coupe are at the top of my list. Whatever coupe I select, it needs to have 300+hp.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Coupes have always been lower volume than equivalent sedans, but the growing lux coupe market deserves the attention its getting in recent years. Personally I'm thinking of a premium sports coupe to replace my IS350 sedan later. And the RC and redesigned (2016) Mercedes C-class coupe are at the top of my list. Whatever coupe I select, it needs to have 300+hp.

I'm with you there. The new C-class interior is a winner to me and I think the S-class coupe looks perfect so a mini version would be amazing. We know they do offer the AMG + model with I think 350hp! Lexus really needs to step it up with the new engines and maybe offering F-Sports with more power than their non F-Sport counterparts.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
And I do realize the importance of the turbo4 configuration with these premium coupes (and compact sport sedans), because that will be the volume setup typically. Today I use the Mercedes turbo4's (driven extensively both 1.8L and 2.0L) as the benchmark for 4 banger refinement and NVH, they are very smooth right up to 6500 rpm (most consider it to be more refined that the more powerful BMW turbo4). I assume the Lexus turbo4 found in the NX will the engine used in RC200T, if so what are your impressions of this engine (as experienced in the NX)?

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Mustang and Camaro coupes are in s segment of their own, unique to just the North American market. And a lot of those sales are cheaply configured models that go into rental car fleets, not a market that Lexus wants to dominate in thankfully.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Speaking of coupes, I think coupes have much more sales potential than convertibles today in 2016. Premium car brands need to offer good coupes.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Speaking of coupes, I think coupes have much more sales potential than convertibles today in 2016. Premium car brands need to offer good coupes.

Agree with you on that. And in a shrinking market for anything other than SUVs, I think we're going to see fewer and fewer convertibles.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Agree with you on that. And in a shrinking market for anything other than SUVs, I think we're going to see fewer and fewer convertibles.

Two things that also go against convertibles:
  • Outside of very select locations, weather is just too temperamental.
  • Convertibles leave you very exposed, and that can be scary in this day & age.
Plus, every convertible in the world just looks weird.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Two things that also go against convertibles:
  • Outside of very select locations, weather is just too temperamental.
  • Convertibles leave you very exposed, and that can be scary in this day & age.
Plus, every convertible in the world just looks weird.

Yes, hardtop convertibles are especially ugly often with too many cut lines, butt heavy, bad proportions and overweight too.

A nice power-operated moon/targa/pano roof , allows convertible feel in good weather without 'vert pitfalls.

Reactions
Anybody get a RC200t lately?
i bought an RC200t about a month ago. It's my first Lexus, coming from a 535i. Unfortunately, the curse of German Engineering is negative equity so instead of getting a 350, i had to settle with a 200t.

honestly, i've fell in love with the RC since the first time i saw one in person in front a Las Vegas hotel 2 years ago. and for this reason, is why i didnt even bother to care about the 4 banger. the car is terrible when taking off, the turbo lag is one thats hard to ignore. however, when it finally kicks in, it rips (enough). Besides that, i love the car. i do see them more often now but owning one plays a big part in that. we always pay more attention to cars similar to ours so we tend to notice them more as soon as we drive out of the dealer. but compared to any other cars in its class, its still pretty rare.

im not sure if its the dealer plates or not, but i consistently get compliments at gas stations and parking lots. we all know, that never gets old. btw, yes, my plates have arrive and im planning on putting them on soon (maybe once the new car smell goes away lol)