Rattling in the trunk?

Reactions
Just picked up my 2016 NX 200t AWD with the 10 speaker system. Absolutely love the car...except for the rattle I hear when I have the music turned up. I put some dampening material underneath the license plate holder, but it seems to be coming from the 8 inch sub in the trunk which makes it rattle. Seems like they should have used some dynamat or something. Wondering if anybody else is having this issue and if Lexus has done anything to rectify this small yet annoying problem to an otherwise superb vehicle.Thanks

Reactions: RAL

RAL

Reactions
To solve the problem I had to do away with the plate holder. I put quarter-inch dampening material on/around the entire perimeter of the plate which effectively separated the plate from any contact with the body. This was necessary because there is so much vibration coming from that sub in the gate.

Reactions
Cool, thanks. I ordered some dynamat for the plate and will be putting some cushioning between the plate and the trunk.

Reactions: RAL

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Congratulations on the new NX...and Happy New Year. :)

I agree with RAL. Toss the plate holder. Outside of keeping the plates straight in automatic car-washes, most of the ones that come from the dealership on few vehicles serve very little useful purpose, anyway, except as over-chromed rolling ads for the dealership. They do tend to vibrate and cause rattles or humming at certain harmonic frequencies...and when you open and shut the rear hatch.

Much more useful are the clear covers that cover all of the plate-surface...they keep the plates from getting bent in car-washes, while protecting the plate from road debris and dirt. They typically run from $2.99 to $6.99 (maybe a little more) at auto parts stores.

81mZzH7jDaL._SX522_.jpg