Rattle Sound NX 200T

Reactions
Hey, Guys!

I have the NX200T 2016.

Have 22000 km on it, and until yesterday there were no sounds inside the car. Yesterday I was driving not a not very good road and with a slight shaking, something began to rattle and make an unpleasant sound at the back of the car.

I took everything out of the trunk, even took off the plate, drove again along the road and heard again that there is a sound from behind.

I was at the dealer, they tested the car with me, said that this sound comes from the leather seats and it is normal for them because they are tight.

Although I folded the seats completely and the sound remained.

Who faced this issue before? How to solve it?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hey, Guys!

I have the NX200T 2016.

Have 22000 km on it, and until yesterday there were no sounds inside the car. Yesterday I was driving not a not very good road and with a slight shaking, something began to rattle and make an unpleasant sound at the back of the car.

I took everything out of the trunk, even took off the plate, drove again along the road and heard again that there is a sound from behind.

I was at the dealer, they tested the car with me, said that this sound comes from the leather seats and it is normal for them because they are tight.

Although I folded the seats completely and the sound remained.

Who faced this issue before? How to solve it?

Welcome to Lexus Enthusiast. :)

I can't fully-comment without hearing the sound myself, but right off-hand, I think they are giving you a line of bull at the dealership. Leather seats don't rattle, though in a few circumstances (very few), they can make a rubbing or squishing sound if a load is bouncing up and down on them.

I'd say have them check two things at the back....first, the closing/locking hardware for the rear hatch (which can sometimes develop rattles with age), and, it that's OK, then check the rear suspension for a loose fit. You will be more likely to hear rattles on a rough road (especially with firmly-pumped up tires), than on a smooth one.

RAL

Reactions
Welcome Rinat! ...
When we first got our NX, the rear speaker in the tailgate was causing the tag frame to rattle intermittently during some bass tones. Nothing more aggravating than an intermittent rattle! Weather stripping prevented it ...
Wish I had a suggestion for you ... Hope you find it.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Welcome Rinat! ...
When we first got our NX, the rear speaker in the tailgate was causing the tag frame to rattle intermittently during some bass tones. Nothing more aggravating than an intermittent rattle! Weather stripping prevented it ...
Wish I had a suggestion for you ... Hope you find it.

Interesting point on the speaker. Given the fact, though, that the OP mentioned the rattle being a problem mostly on rough roads, seems to me like it would take more than just too much bass coming through....generally in the other hardware. But..... you might be correct. It's an interesting thought.

Reactions: CIF
Reactions
Welcome to Lexus Enthusiast. :)

I can't fully-comment without hearing the sound myself, but right off-hand, I think they are giving you a line of bull at the dealership. Leather seats don't rattle, though in a few circumstances (very few), they can make a rubbing or squishing sound if a load is bouncing up and down on them.

I'd say have them check two things at the back....first, the closing/locking hardware for the rear hatch (which can sometimes develop rattles with age), and, it that's OK, then check the rear suspension for a loose fit. You will be more likely to hear rattles on a rough road (especially with firmly-pumped up tires), than on a smooth one.
Hi!

Sorry for the late response.

I went to the dealer in Toronto, where the car has been serviced since the purchase. They insulated subwoofer for me; also we test drove the vehicle with rear seatbelts buckled because technician said they can create some sounds and the rattle still there. The mechanic checked suspension for loose items, and nothing was found.

We took everything out of the car; even rear windshield wiper was removed to check if it is the source of rattling and the noise was not gone.

Right now, Lexus Canada just doesn't know what to do to help me. My final guess is the lock mechanism because as you know, we get snow a lot and maybe it caused damage to locking hardware.

Do you think it can be the reason of my problems too? I do not hear any sounds/rattles when I go on the even road. I hear some metallic rattling from the back of the car only when I drive through some potholes or speed bumps.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hi!

Sorry for the late response.

I went to the dealer in Toronto, where the car has been serviced since the purchase. They insulated subwoofer for me; also we test drove the vehicle with rear seatbelts buckled because technician said they can create some sounds and the rattle still there. The mechanic checked suspension for loose items, and nothing was found.

We took everything out of the car; even rear windshield wiper was removed to check if it is the source of rattling and the noise was not gone.

Right now, Lexus Canada just doesn't know what to do to help me. My final guess is the lock mechanism because as you know, we get snow a lot and maybe it caused damage to locking hardware.

Do you think it can be the reason of my problems too? I do not hear any sounds/rattles when I go on the even road. I hear some metallic rattling from the back of the car only when I drive through some potholes or speed bumps.

About the only other thing I can think of, off-hand, is a loose piece in the suspension or strut. I've seen cars come off the assembly line with loosely-attached struts, though that was some time ago.

Good Luck with it.....hope they find it. :)

Reactions
About the only other thing I can think of, off-hand, is a loose piece in the suspension or strut. I've seen cars come off the assembly line with loosely-attached struts, though that was some time ago.

Good Luck with it.....hope they find it. :)
Hello Guys!

Need your help.

I complained several times to the dealer about the rattle sounds in the trunk of my NX. They said they don't hear anything.

Today my wife was driving the car, and I was in the back seat and recorded noises.

Please check the video here.

RAL

Reactions
Years ago a rattle developed seemingly in the sunroof of our ES. Our service advisor road with me in the car and heard the rattle. A day later after the repair, when I drove the car home, I no longer heard the rattle. But days after that, to my dismay, I began to hear the same rattle again! I took the car back to our Lexus dealer. Once again we were provided a courtesy car ... and the dealer continued to pursue the rattle.

There after, every few days I called our service advisor. And each time he told me they were continuing to attempt to repair the rattle, but so far without success. Yet he reassured me of their persistence in the matter. So I decided to be more patient. Well, at the end of the second week I decided it was time to call again. I told our advisor that while I appreciated the use of the courtesy car over the last many days, I wondered where things stood. Whereupon, he told me he thought they may have just discovered a solution ...

Indeed, the next day he called to say he was happy to report he believed the rattle had been repaired! And he explained that after multiple attempts at repair, they finally had to contact Lexus technicians in Japan for help before they arrived at a correct course of action. Long story, but suffice it to say ... our dealer did not stop until the rattle was repaired. And throughout I was never given any hint of a reason to doubt that the issue couldn't somehow be resolved.

I've taken the time to relate to you @Rinat this story to demonstrate the reason for my confidence, over the last ten years, in Lexus and our dealer to take care of our service needs, regardless.

Judging by the sound of the rattle in this video, something is obviously very wrong. The vehicle is under warranty. If I were you, I would again take the vehicle back to your Lexus dealer.

I wish you well and I hope you can get satisfaction.

Reactions
Years ago a rattle developed seemingly in the sunroof of our ES. Our service advisor road with me in the car and heard the rattle. A day later after the repair, when I drove the car home, I no longer heard the rattle. But days after that, to my dismay, I began to hear the same rattle again! I took the car back to our Lexus dealer. Once again we were provided a courtesy car ... and the dealer continued to pursue the rattle.

There after, every few days I called our service advisor. And each time he told me they were continuing to attempt to repair the rattle, but so far without success. Yet he reassured me of their persistence in the matter. So I decided to be more patient. Well, at the end of the second week I decided it was time to call again. I told our advisor that we appreciated the use of the courtesy car over the last many days, but I wondered where things stood. Whereupon, he told me he thought they may have just discovered a solution ...

Indeed, the next day he called to say he was happy to report he believed the rattle had been repaired! And he explained that after multiple attempts at repair, they finally had to contact Lexus technicians in Japan for help before they arrived at a correct course of action. Long story, but suffice it to say ... our dealer did not stop until the rattle was repaired. And throughout I was never given any hint of a reason to doubt that the issue couldn't somehow be resolved.

I've taken the time to relate to you @Rinat this story to demonstrate the reason for my confidence, over the last ten years, in Lexus and our dealer to take care of our service needs, regardless.

Judging by the sound of the rattle in this video, something is obviously very wrong. The vehicle is under warranty. If I were you, I would again take the vehicle back to your Lexus dealer.

I wish you well, and I hope you can get satisfaction.
Hi. I like Lexus brand too. No doubt. Thank you for your kind words and I will for sure stop by the dealer today and if they 'We do not hear this sound again" I will just get in touch with Lexus Canada to ask for their involvement.

Reactions
Noise from backseat solved NX 300h 2015. I had an annoying noise from the back of my car. Sounded like a cage full of canaries especially when driven in cobblestone roads, which we have a lot in Europe. Removed everything from the back of the car, suspected the trunk cover, the stryropor around the spare tyre etc. Showed to the dealer, they couldn’t find it. Finally I could replicate the noise to the dealer by dropping down the armrest, which produced the squeaking.
The stripped down the whole back seat backrest, the fault was the tubes inside the backrest making the sound, so they isolated them with padding and now the noise is gone (at least for the time being).
Hope this helps

Reactions: RAL