Questions for the Podcast!

Reactions
Binge listened to all the 2021 episodes and congratulations on having a great Lexus-centric Podcast guys.

I'm making this thread for people to ask questions that you guys might want to answer on future episodes.

I'll kick it off with my burning question:

I'm looking to buy a new luxury sports sedan late this year or early next (Replacing a much loved car from the opposite end of the reliability scale, a Jaguar XE). I have been narrowing my choices down and I think I have very nearly decided that the IS 350 F-Sport RWD will be the one best suited for my needs and price range. However the only thing giving me pause is the frankly dated interior that I am not a big fan of. The interior lags well behind the German brands in terms of styling and bells and whistles (one "small" thing that I really want, ambient lighting, is nowhere to be found). But then the new NX is announced and the interior has been updated just perfectly in my eyes, not too flashy but definitely modern and at least on par with the rest of the competition. However, I don't want a CUV or SUV, I want a sedan. I know the IS just got refreshed again but what are the chances that this updated interior gets fitted on the IS for next year? When do you think a new interior will happen? When the NEXT IS is announced in 3 years or more?

I hope you guys give your thoughts on this on the next podcast episode and I hope other people will add their questions for you guys on this thread as well. Keep up the great work!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Binge listened to all the 2021 episodes and congratulations on having a great Lexus-centric Podcast guys.

I'm making this thread for people to ask questions that you guys might want to answer on future episodes.

I'm looking to buy a new luxury sports sedan late this year or early next (Replacing a much loved car from the opposite end of the reliability scale, a Jaguar XE). I have been narrowing my choices down and I think I have very nearly decided that the IS 350 F-Sport RWD will be the one best suited for my needs and price range. However the only thing giving me pause is the frankly dated interior that I am not a big fan of. The interior lags well behind the German brands in terms of styling and bells and whistles (one "small" thing that I really want, ambient lighting, is nowhere to be found). But then the new NX is announced and the interior has been updated just perfectly in my eyes, not too flashy but definitely modern and at least on par with the rest of the competition. However, I don't want a CUV or SUV, I want a sedan. I know the IS just got refreshed again but what are the chances that this updated interior gets fitted on the IS for next year? When do you think a new interior will happen? When the NEXT IS is announced in 3 years or more?

I hope you guys give your thoughts on this on the next podcast episode and I hope other people will add their questions for you guys on this thread as well. Keep up the great work!

Hey, @ToyHammer thanks for your question! We'll take it up on the next podcast which is being recorded tomorrow!

Reactions

It looks like now that Lexus has been seeing a huge wave of positive response for the 2021 IS, with also the IS500s having a long waitlist, and replacing the RC F GT3 in 2024, to me it sounds like they'll go all in with a better effort on the IS, and RC.

To me, I feel like they're going to either fix the TNGA-N platform, or MAYBE go with a new platform for all of their smaller RWD products. It could bode well for a new GR86 or GR Supra too.

My guess is that they'll fully introduce a 4th generation IS in ~2025 (and I would assume this given that if the RC F GT3 will be replaced in 2024, then there SHOULD be a RC production car, and the IS shares the same platform as the RC). So you're a few years out. I would have 3 choices if I were you.

1. You either keep the XE until then (but I'm not sure if it will last).
2. Lease a NX that you like until the new IS comes out.
3. Lease a German car (they're great vehicles) of the same caliber like a BMW M340i until the new IS is revealed by then.

Last edited:

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Yeah, I think a new IS/RC should be coming our way If the E/C class or the 3/5 series are not gone the IS/RC will continue. Yeah I know the GS was dropped. but if the NX is any indication of the future the next ES might be a more interesting car to look forward to than even the LS.

Reactions
Hey, @ToyHammer thanks for your question! We'll take it up on the next podcast which is being recorded tomorrow!
Thanks for the quick reply! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the podcast when it drops.
My guess is that they'll fully introduce a 4th generation IS in ~2025 (and I would assume this given that if the RC F GT3 will be replaced in 2024, then there SHOULD be a RC production car, and the IS shares the same platform as the RC). So you're a few years out. I would have 3 choices if I were you.

1. You either keep the XE until then (but I'm not sure if it will last).
2. Lease a NX that you like until the new IS comes out.
3. Lease a German car (they're great vehicles) of the same caliber like a BMW M340i until the new IS is revealed by then.
1) I don't think I want to hang on to the XE until 2025.
2) No Dice on wanting another CUV/SUV (I already have one of those in the garage)
3) A CLA 35 might be in second place right now but I'm not sure it's worth that much of a premium over the IS350. I like that interior much more but not sure about the price.

Reactions
Thanks for the quick reply! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the podcast when it drops.

1) I don't think I want to hang on to the XE until 2025.
2) No Dice on wanting another CUV/SUV (I already have one of those in the garage)
3) A CLA 35 might be in second place right now but I'm not sure it's worth that much of a premium over the IS350. I like that interior much more but not sure about the price.

A BMW M340i is definitely more expensive than the IS350, but you're getting a ton of car for the money. The CLA 35 is just obnoxiously expensive. I'd go for a C-Class instead.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
@ToyHammer The latest podcast just came out and I wanted to let you know we will answer your questions on the next podcast. This one ran long with all of the info from the Product Showcase Event, so we had to bump a few items to next time.

With that said, I think the advice given here is very sound. I doubt the IS is going to get any further changes until its next generation. After the 2021 refresh and then bringing the IS 500 F SPORT Performance, I think they've done as much as they'll do with the car for now... but we can never be 100% sure.

Reactions
Anxiously awaited the next podcast but I guess a Q&A portion is not in the books. Thanks for answering it here though, keep up the great work guys!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Anxiously awaited the next podcast but I guess a Q&A portion is not in the books. Thanks for answering it here though, keep up the great work guys!

Oof! Totally forgot... very sorry! We meant to cover it on Ep 16 and then forgot.

At least the folks here have given you some good feedback on your question. Good luck with your search... let us know what you decide!