Pure Electric Lexus ES Prototype Spotted in Japan?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Pure Electric Lexus ES Prototype Spotted in Japan?

19-03-04-lexus-es-electric-sedan.jpg

Shorter wheelbase to boot.
View the original article post

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Likely not an ES testing. Looks like simply an ES shell to throw us off. What is testing underneath is a mystery, based on the different wild guesses from Mag-X. Could be almost anything really. Could even possibly be a Toyota model being tested underneath that shell.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Likely not an ES testing. Looks like simply an ES shell to throw us off. What is testing underneath is a mystery, based on the different wild guesses from Mag-X. Could be almost anything really. Could even possibly be a Toyota model being tested underneath that shell.

I really enjoyed Mag-X going pure crazy and suggesting the IS would be built on a modified FWD platform. Agree with you completely, there's no guarantee it's a Lexus at all (though I do think it is).

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I really enjoyed Mag-X going pure crazy and suggesting the IS would be built on a modified FWD platform. Agree with you completely, there's no guarantee it's a Lexus at all (though I do think it is).

Hah yeah same. Remember the Frankenstein GS from years ago that was an early TNGA-L mule? Or going back to the early to mid 2000s....the Frankenstein Toyota Crown that was a mule for the XE20 IS-F? This reminds me of that, so I honestly don't know what this could be. Toyota is getting more clever with its mules.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Only certain thing about dimensions is that it's not getting any wider and it's a D-segment car.

Airplane

Fan
Reactions
If you guys look at it carefully, the front is obviously from the LS. The hood cut out, the front wheel arch/fender, the small notch on the grill, and the extruding silhouette of the side intake is clearly not from the ES. The half covered headlight is obviously from the LS. The back does look like the ES, but it also look like the IS and it does not have the weird bulge that runs from the taillights on the ES.

Why would Lexus take off 300mm from the ES just to make it a BEV? It does not make any sense. It would only make sense if they do it on the LS because it only have one wheel base, so a shorter LS BEV could mean it’s more performance focused. However, the mule looks way to small for anything close to a full size anything.

This looks like an IS mule more than anything else if the dimensions are correct, and it does look similar to the current IS.

Lastly, why would Lexus use the GAK platform and convert it to RWD for the IS? It’s easier to just shorten the GAL platform from the LS and LC.

SERIOUSLY, this magazine is just talking out their butts with all these unreasonable rumours. Do they have a beef with TMC or what?

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
not sure why would it be ES prototype? Obviously they are testing new CT Sedan

:)

They do mention HS250h on the article (one of the few designation I'm able to understand), and it would be quite an excellent product (keeping in line with LS, LC, ES, UX).

Also, I'm not seeing this one being production ready for 2020 Tokyo Olympics as it seems being in very early stages of development.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
They do mention HS250h on the article (one of the few designation I'm able to understand), and it would be quite an excellent product (keeping in line with LS, LC, ES, UX).

Also, I'm not seeing this one being production ready for 2020 Tokyo Olympics as it seems being in very early stages of development.

Do you mean EV version or CT Sedan in general? It could certainly come by July 2020.

There were many reports about Lexus launching EV by then, but I think it was supposed to be UX based.

In any case, if it is CT Sedan, then it will be offered in many configurations/powertrains, depending on the market. So hybrid, turbo, etc.

It also makes sense because 4.6-4.7m sedan factor is very popular in China, and even Europe where there is legislation supporting these EV sedans.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions

Unfortunately it doesn't say nothing about HS

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Unfortunately it doesn't say nothing about HS

i very much doubt it would be called HS... it will be version of CT most likely, but maybe not?I think it will, because markets that like sedan, dont like hatchback version and vice versa, it makes sense to make it like Corolla - identical in 95% of things.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
i very much doubt it would be called HS... it will be version of CT most likely, but maybe not?I think it will, because markets that like sedan, dont like hatchback version and vice versa, it makes sense to make it like Corolla - identical in 95% of things.
It would be market exclusive for Japan Europe and emerging markets.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
as I said, if they are making CT Sedan EV, they will make CT Sedan 250h, CT Sedan 2.0l, etc... they will not just make EV version.
Maybe different naming they are not going to discontinue hatchback.