maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Not bad imo, not bad at all my only concern will be the power, it can't be another classic failure as the previous SC

It's a looker, hope the same handling as the coupe and more power for both

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-07-04-lexus-lc-convertible-front-goodwood.jpg

Autocar reports that the Lexus LC Convertible will go on sale next year, along with some other obvious details:

Autocar understands that a production LC Convertible has been prioritized over a range-topping F variant of the LC in Lexus’s product plan due to its higher potential for global sales.
The production version of the LC Convertible is likely to be offered in both the 5.0-litre naturally aspirated V8 in the LC500, and the 3.5-litre V6 in the LC500h hybrid variant, which, coupled to a pair of electric motors, produces 354bhp.
It’s set to weigh more than the 1935kg coupé on which it is based, meaning a slight drop in top speed and acceleration times.

Autocar does contain a sliver of insight here — a hybrid powertrain is necessary in markets outside North...

Continue reading...

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Would really love to know what is the bottleneck when it comes to product development or planning. In this case such bottleneck hit them real hard to the point that they cannot develop and release at the same pace two variations of the exact same model. Something to think about: Convertible will be released as 21MY which would mark exactly 3 years of LC being in production which then begs the question will LC ever get a facelift? Does it make sense to debut the convertible and then next model year introduce a facelift version? So either this convertible is one model year late to the market or life cycle of LC will be more than usual. LC-F probably holds the key to this question, I would assume LC-F will also debut the LC facelift design but at this point I'm pretty sure earliest we will see it is 23MY /Spring 2022.

I get the dilemma they had here, either go with convertible and stack up the sales volume or roll out LC-F as halo and give boost to dried out F brand. If they had asked me to make that decision I wouldn't know what to say honestly. But I will tell you this, if Limitless production RWD SUV doesn't debut in F trim with V8TT from the day zero it would be a lost cause for the F brand. With sporadic F treatment of the models in the lineup Lexus shouldn't mimic German's release of M or AMG that usually comes in second or third MY, for a flagship vehicle they should do it first and then release pedestrian models. I think reverse strategy could work really well for F brand.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Would really love to know what is the bottleneck when it comes to product development or planning. In this case such bottleneck hit them real hard to the point that they cannot develop and release at the same pace two variations of the exact same model. Something to think about: Convertible will be released as 21MY which would mark exactly 3 years of LC being in production which then begs the question will LC ever get a facelift? Does it make sense to debut the convertible and then next model year introduce a facelift version? So either this convertible is one model year late to the market or life cycle of LC will be more than usual. LC-F probably holds the key to this question, I would assume LC-F will also debut the LC facelift design but at this point I'm pretty sure earliest we will see it is 23MY /Spring 2022.

I get the dilemma they had here, either go with convertible and stack up the sales volume or roll out LC-F as halo and give boost to dried out F brand. If they had asked me to make that decision I wouldn't know what to say honestly. But I will tell you this, if Limitless production RWD SUV doesn't debut in F trim with V8TT from the day zero it would be a lost cause for the F brand. With sporadic F treatment of the models in the lineup Lexus shouldn't mimic German's release of M or AMG that usually comes in second or third MY, for a flagship vehicle they should do it first and then release pedestrian models. I think reverse strategy could work really well for F brand.
I would just like to see some consistency on the F brand. The ISF should come out on each new design and so on so forth for the F models. i know the GSF might be dead, but it shouldn't be what 6 years since the last ISF? I would of considered an ISF but instead all there was was the GSF which is amazing but couldn't afford it and the RCF which I didn't really want a two seater. Anyway glad the LC convertible is coming out but would still like to see more power and quicker instead of less, but looks great!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-07-10-lexus-lc-convertible-sales.jpg

Website Motor1 spoke to Lexus LC Convertible chief engineer Koji Sato about sales expectations for the new drop-top:

“In the U.S. market, the convertible will share almost half [of sales] with the coupe,” Sato notes. “That means we are expecting the same level of excitement in that market.” Cities like Los Angeles and Miami, which “don’t get a lot of rain,” he says, make more sense for the LC Convertible than many other global markets.

Lexus USA sold 1,979 LC coupes last year, and are on track to sell less than 1,000 units this year. Projected out, this would put the LC Convertible put the LC Convertible at a peak of approximately 1,000 units per...

Continue reading...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

I would just like to see some consistency on the F brand. The ISF should come out on each new design and so on so forth for the F models. i know the GSF might be dead, but it shouldn't be what 6 years since the last ISF? I would of considered an ISF but instead all there was was the GSF which is amazing but couldn't afford it and the RCF which I didn't really want a two seater. Anyway glad the LC convertible is coming out but would still like to see more power and quicker instead of less, but looks great!

I remember when Lexus rolled out the RC and RC F and said it would be the first model introduction of their new strategy that involved launching standard, hybrid, F-Sport and F models all within 12 months. I forget where it was published and who from Lexus spoke on it, but they talked about this new launch strategy that made F more of a core part of the platform. Turns out that was a one-and-done failed promise as we have seen with the GS/GS F and LC, no IS F, no F SUVs, no LS F, etc.

It's very hard to sit back and continue to have faith in this brand with the continuous product planning failures and blunders. The list is endless and only getting longer. Why was this LC C a concept of a concept - they already showed the car in 99% production spec in Detroit... then they show it camouflaged now? What is the point?

mikeavelli

Reactions
I also thought it was going to be a production car, not another preview. I do think its gorgeous. So anxiously waiting on the LC F....

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-07-11-lexus-lc-convertible-video.jpg

Lexus has released video of the LC Convertible taking part in the Goodwood Festival of Speed hill climb:

There’s still no official confirmation in regards to the convertible’s roof, though EVO Magazine feels confident in naming it a soft-top:

The design of the open-top model will remain similar to the production coupe, with eye-catching futuristic design cues alongside an exotic, muscular stance. The roof will be a fabric unit, completely electrified of course, and slip underneath a new tonneau that contributes to the new rear-end design.

Motortrend was less sure, but came to the same conclusion:

Although Lexus...

Continue reading...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-09-30-lexus-lc-convertible-roof.jpg

New spy photos of the Lexus LC Convertible reveal a soft-top roof, answering one of the few remaining questions about the upcoming coupe variant:
19-09-30-lexus-lc-convertible-roof-side.jpg

A CNET spy photographer caught the convertible testing in Southern California. Retired racer Scott Pruett was also in the group, possibly sharing his feedback on the handling and overall tuning.
It’s expected that the LC Convertible will arrive at dealerships next year.

Continue reading...

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
Looking at it with the top up, I'm thinking the non-vert roofline and design is far superior. You'll have to really love/want/need a convertible to choose it. If released in 2020, will it come with a refresh?

From the link provided, here are some additional easter eggs

- different seats
- photographer heard turbos spooling, deeper aggressive sound (LCF + LCF vert?)
- Bmw 8 present for benchmarking

lexus-lc-convertible-prototype-15.jpg

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I won't ever complain about seeing more of the LC, but I actually much prefer the coupe and I can't put my finger on why.

None the less, happy to see this hopefully heading towards production.

Same issue the Jag F type had, but I think the LC convertible is a nicer execution, relative.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Looking at it with the top up, I'm thinking the non-vert roofline and design is far superior. You'll have to really love/want/need a convertible to choose it. If released in 2020, will it come with a refresh?

From the link provided, here are some additional easter eggs

- different seats
- photographer heard turbos spooling, deeper aggressive sound (LCF + LCF vert?)
- Bmw 8 present for benchmarking

lexus-lc-convertible-prototype-15.jpg

Is it normal for a test bed for a higher performance vehicle to fit neatly inside the envelope of the base car? And be out without camo?

What are the chances that what we are seeing here is some sort of step between the full LC F and the 500? Either a refresh/bump with a detuned LC F engine and much less reengineering, or an "LC 650" of sorts?

The above is guaranteed to be wrong, but interesting to think about if Lexus went the AMG 45 route to capture more market from preexisting assets.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Is it normal for a test bed for a higher performance vehicle to fit neatly inside the envelope of the base car? And be out without camo?

What are the chances that what we are seeing here is some sort of step between the full LC F and the 500? Either a refresh/bump with a detuned LC F engine and much less reengineering, or an "LC 650" of sorts?

The above is guaranteed to be wrong, but interesting to think about if Lexus went the AMG 45 route to capture more market from preexisting assets.

LC sales volume is small as is. Adding another model just adds logistics headaches.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions