Price aside, IS350 or RC350?

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
Dear IS Owners

I'm considering the purchase of either an IS350 or an RC350 and would love to hear what existing IS owners think of the RC350.

A friend is asking me whether the price difference is worth it when comparing the RC350 to the IS350, since the IS 0-60 (0-100km) performance is better. Your thoughts on this would be great :)

Thanks

Reactions
I drove a coupe prior to buying the IS, so initially, I wanted an IS coupe, but since they didn't have one at the time, went with the IS, as the styling, handling, power and reliability appealed to me. Now that the RC has come out, I'd still go with the IS, as the styling of the IS just appeals to me more. Some of the nit picky things that aren't to my liking on the RC are, specifically, the fog lights, the extra wide width of the grill, the sunroof not retracting inside the roof, the window frame-less doors, and the lack of a mechanical key lock in the door. So really, if you put price aside, the choice comes down purely to an opinion as to which you like better aesthetically and which one meets your lifestyle needs more. Now, all that gibberish above aside, had they released the concept IS coupe I've attached a picture of, would have gone with that in a heartbeat. Long post short (too late, I know), price aside, you know in your gut which one you like better, go for it!

Attachments

• IS Coupe Concept.jpg
    IS Coupe Concept.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 9

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
I drove a coupe prior to buying the IS, so initially, I wanted an IS coupe, but since they didn't have one at the time, went with the IS, as the styling, handling, power and reliability appealed to me. Now that the RC has come out, I'd still go with the IS, as the styling of the IS just appeals to me more. Some of the nit picky things that aren't to my liking on the RC are, specifically, the fog lights, the extra wide width of the grill, the sunroof not retracting inside the roof, the window frame-less doors, and the lack of a mechanical key lock in the door. So really, if you put price aside, the choice comes down purely to an opinion as to which you like better aesthetically and which one meets your lifestyle needs more. Now, all that gibberish above aside, had they released the concept IS coupe I've attached a picture of, would have gone with that in a heartbeat. Long post short (too late, I know), price aside, you know in your gut which one you like better, go for it!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts :) It's a tough, yet fun, decision for me. Test drove both over the weekend. I can do with only two doors (we don't have kids yet and my wife drive's an NX for when we need the space). The IS has a better 0-100 and also feels faster than the RC when accelerating in a straight line. The RC feels sportier and slightly more confident than the IS when handling it around corners, but it does feel a tad overweight during straight line acceleration. I like the looks of both, although the RC would be my first option based on aesthetics. I prefer the bigger seats in the RC, whilst on the other hand, like you, I prefer the door frames on the IS. Also in favour of the IS is the puck / joystick instead of new RTI controller. Looking forward to others also sharing their views :)

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
My opinion is the RC350 needs a significant power bump to deal with about 300 extra pounds of curb weight, something I'd rather wait for.

I haven't driven RC350 yet, but I've driven both gens of IS350 fairly extensively.

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
My opinion is the RC350 needs a significant power bump to deal with about 300 extra pounds of curb weight, something I'd rather wait for.

I haven't driven RC350 yet, but I've driven both gens of IS350 fairly extensively.
Thanks for the comment. I agree with you and signed for an IS350 F Sport yesterday, the deciding factor being a more feasible power : weight ratio when compared to the RC.

Ruksac

Follower
Reactions
I prefer the IS to the RC. The main reason being I hate the touch pad. I prefer the mouse-style remote touch controller. The pad isn't in the greatest location on the console and the interaction is too jumpy for me.

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
Certainly also prefer the joystick / puck over the touch pad. Picked up my IS350 F Sport (Sonic Titanium + Black) on Thursday and having spent time with it through the weekend, am very happy with my decision :)

Attachments

• IMG_4751.jpg
    IMG_4751.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah, any updates! :D
Hi Guys

Having now driven ~ 4,500 km / 2,800 miles with my IS 350 F Sport, I love it more and more every day! Having owned more performance-oriented vehicles in the past, I was initially concerned about the straight line acceleration of the vehicle with its naturally aspirated engine at Johannesburg altitude, but the way in which the IS delivers its power makes it fun to drive when the conditions allow, whilst providing class-leading comfort when having to take it easy, e.g. in traffic and on wet roads.

I don't keep my vehicles for too long, but when I do trade in the IS, it will be out of curiosity for whatever will follow and not due to any form of shortcoming with the vehicle on hand. Overall the IS 350 F Sport is extremely well balanced with aggressive yet mature styling, top-notch build quality and an adventurous side hiding behind its perpetually composed character.

Any other owner feedback re the IS, would love to hear :)