Porsche Taycan Thread

Reactions
View attachment 3411

Really, really nice. The details are good too: the clock reads "9:11".

I literally screamed in joy for this interior reveal. This, the EQC and the E-Tron are the only electric cars that I really am excited for (I like the Model X too).

The interior just blows me away, even more so than the 992.1 911's interior. Yes, it has a sh*t load of screens which can be a bit of a hassle in the present day and the future (I must say it looks cool though), but it stirs me a lot more than the 911's interior. What a knock out of the park Porsche! :)

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I can not avoid pointing out the hypocrisy towards german cars. This Porsche has everything that was criticized with other brands many years ago: too many screens, too many glossy fingerprint attractive surfaces, electric ventilation vents.

Exterior will be watered down/not like concept, but no one will say a thing.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I love it inside and out thus far. Porsche doesn't enter a market to enter it, they enter to dominate and win.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
They've now shown the whole car, and it's surprisingly close to the Mission-E concept (although not as close as the production LC was to its concept). On the downside it's stupid expensive and the range is relatively low (240 miles EPA).

A few links...

]https://www.caranddriver.com/2020-porsche-taycan-ev/

mikeavelli

Reactions
A lot of people even people with the means complaining about the price. I heard there are 7k deposits already but most were hearing 90k to start. 150-200k or so, this is another Toy. I understand its a halo vehicle first but it would be nice to have something cheaper.

I guess its a Porsche tho lol.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
240 mi range for a $200k car. 93 kWh from a 630 kg battery. Sorry Porsche but try harder next time.

And of course they put the battery-destroying overboost trickery for bragging rights.

The only positive thing I have to say is the two-speed transmission. There are actually a lot of benefits from a second range. Many People think EVs only need direct drive because electric motors make max torque at 0 rpm so gears don't matter. This is incorrect.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
At that price it's pretty clearly a low-volume halo car to get real-world testing of the technology. And it's damned pretty.

The only positive thing I have to say is the two-speed transmission. There are actually a lot of benefits from a second range. Many People think EVs only need direct drive because electric motors make max torque at 0 rpm so gears don't matter. This is incorrect.

Right. Among other things, a transmission means you can run the motors at a lower RPM for a given driving speed, which extends the range.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
A lot of people even people with the means complaining about the price. I heard there are 7k deposits already but most were hearing 90k to start. 150-200k or so, this is another Toy. I understand its a halo vehicle first but it would be nice to have something cheaper.

I guess its a Porsche tho lol.

Perhaps the less expensive models will come later?

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
240 mi range for a $200k car. 93 kWh from a 630 kg battery. Sorry Porsche but try harder next time.

And of course they put the battery-destroying overboost trickery for bragging rights.

Right. Among other things, a transmission means you can run the motors at a lower RPM for a given driving speed, which extends the range.

Equally as important is the flat torque curve of the electric drive motor which means you do not need a multi-speed gearbox to ensure the motor is always running at its torque peak.

Tesla's first car, the Roadster, was supposed to have a 2-speed automatic transmission, but Tesla was not satisfied with it and all subsequent models have had a single-speed transmission.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Equally as important is the flat torque curve of the electric drive motor which means you do not need a multi-speed gearbox to ensure the motor is always running at its torque peak.

This is only technically true. In reality as rpm increases the losses in the stator and the power electronics will grow significantly. The motor will lose efficiency even though its rated power output remains the same. For highway cruising having a reduction gear to operate the motor at lower rpm is beneficial.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
This is only technically true. In reality as rpm increases the losses in the stator and the power electronics will grow significantly. The motor will lose efficiency even though its rated power output remains the same. For highway cruising having a reduction gear to operate the motor at lower rpm is beneficial.

Right, which is why Teslas fall behind ICE cars at high speeds. A gearbox would solve that for them.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

That is true. That is why hybrids (and especially plug-in hybrids) run the internal combustion engine to drive the vehicle at high road speeds because the electric motor is not efficient at high speeds.

Will1991

Reactions

The gearbox part we can thank Elon... Maybe when Tesla return with a gearbox we all can get things right again.