Popping Noise in Front End

Reactions
2007 LX with 120,000 miles. Recently replaced the front struts/shocks and now hear a more pronounced "popping" noise when turning full lock to lock on either side whilst maneuvering around a parking area. The noise was there earlier, but has intensified with the new components. Usually most noticeable at full lock. My tie rods are unequal from side to side, causing about a 460 degree steering wheel turn to the right and 440 to the left. My shop put a wrench on all bolts/nuts in the front end and says everything's tight and everything under there looks solid. Alignment (toe) will go out of spec within days of re-setting. I've taken this to multiple shops and all are perplexed with this. The noise is driving me crazy...HELP!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
2007 LX with 120,000 miles. Recently replaced the front struts/shocks and now hear a more pronounced "popping" noise when turning full lock to lock on either side whilst maneuvering around a parking area. The noise was there earlier, but has intensified with the new components. Usually most noticeable at full lock. My tie rods are unequal from side to side, causing about a 460 degree steering wheel turn to the right and 440 to the left. My shop put a wrench on all bolts/nuts in the front end and says everything's tight and everything under there looks solid. Alignment (toe) will go out of spec within days of re-setting. I've taken this to multiple shops and all are perplexed with this. The noise is driving me crazy...HELP!

Welcome to LE as a new poster.

Several things could cause that popping noise, but a fairly common one is a problem in the steering rack....particularly if you also feel a slight burr or catch in the steering wheel with the sound.

Reactions
Thanks, but nothing like that has occurred. Today I heard the sounds while moving slowly ahead several feet, then hitting the brakes hard. The pop occurred again!