Please help us choose a 3rd Gen RX for our teen-- 2010, 2011 or 2012??

Reactions
Hello, long time lexus lovers here but first time posting. My hubby and I converted to Lexus in 2004 with our first GX 470. Loved that car and drove it for 15 years until it was hit by a speeding teen and totaled. Good news is it held up in the accident beautifully. The other driver was not so lucky. We now both drive LX 570s and love them, but they are too much for our 15 1/2 year old daughter. We would love to put her in a 3rd gen RX. She is responsible and a great new driver, but we want her to be safe and the car to be reliable. Which year and what features should we be looking for? Not sure if any particular year was known to have trouble etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions
Hi,

The RX is a great car and you really can't go wrong with it. We have a 2009 RX that drives like it is new. However, in terms of safety features, it may be lacking a little bit. Here's 2015 NX vs 2012 RX. I would find FCW, Rear Cross Traffic Warning and Rear View Camera very helpful. Plus, the NX is just easier to maneuver. Also, the later models of NX have AEB. The NX will probably cost a few thousand more though, but if you guys have 2 LX's... :p.

Reactions
I will piggyback onto the posters comment above. While I would generally go for the newest, single owner vehicle with a clean Carfax and proof of maintenance (which would be listed on the CarFax) - Because electronic safety features are widely available & true lifesavers (pre-collision braking, blind-spot monitoring, rear collision warning or braking, lane keep assistance, etc), this would take priority for me for a vehicle purchase for my children - more so than a certain model or brand. If you can't find a pre-owned Lexus in your price range with these electronic safety features, then I would look towards a Toyota product or Honda or Subaru model WITH these features. It's a no brainer. Good luck!

Reactions
Totally agree with Cactus99. A 14 or 15 would be my choice due to additional safety systems, a better sound system and a quieter vehicle. Be sure to get one with the safety package option.

We owned a 2010 (really HATED that RX) and recently had a 2015 with the Luxury Package. Night & day difference between the two vehicles. We liked the 2015 so much that we traded it in on a slightly used 2018 a month ago. Love the 2018 too.