Our Lexus RX 350 F-Sport Baby Build

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hi everyone! As some of you know we turned in the GS 350 F-Sport for a RX 350 F-Sport in late August. While my wife really enjoyed her GS, especially the interior and how it handled, she was clamoring to return to a SUV since we now have a 2 year old.

We searched for quite a few different options as this is an impressive field but Lexus seems to have hit most of the right marks with the new RX. Finding a loaded one like ours was a major PITA but we were fortunate to find one with every option. After nearly two months she loves her new RX and I have to admit Lexus did an amazing job with the new one, especially the interior.

Naturally, its not going to stay stock for long :D and this morning I took it to Vossen to get measured by one of our engineers as I will know exactly what will work for the RX, including Forged Wheels! RS-R is working overtime on suspension for the 350. They make suspension currently for the 450h but not the 350. That will change very soon!

In the clip below you can see me walk-around the car and showing some things you usually don't see like the suspension area and the undercarriage. Also note this car does have twin pipes from a single exhaust.

Mike

Reactions
No baby build is complete without
RECARO-ProRIDE-Convertible-Car-Seats.png

mikeavelli

Reactions
So RS-R made coilovers and springs for the RX 450h as early as last fall but nothing for the RX 350. As you know we are pretty much like family and I've been hinting for RX 350 springs for awhile, even before we picked one up. Seems in Japan the RX F-Sport there has some active sway bar. They got a RX 350 F-Sport right away and seems our cars here don't have it. R&D was done right away and these arrived yesterday :)

More pics here

30602401585_62e0bc56f5_b.jpg

30602401155_b4d5aa130a_b.jpg

30602400695_24aecef876_b.jpg

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I know, I'm waaay behind but I had been on the road every weekend and nearly every week last month....updates coming this week I promise!

mikeavelli

Reactions
Car is FILTHY but I took this pic for a couple of reasons.

1. To show you have much (or how little) work the rear wiper does. I've rarely been super impressed with any.
2. The rear wiper is totally hidden under the rear roof spoiler. Huge points Lexus!

IMG_5536.JPG

mikeavelli

Reactions
Thanks to my friends at Miami AutoSport....Here she is waiting on her new Vossen VFS-6 flow formed technology Wheels.

IMG_6623.JPG

Another shot of the rear OEM Diffuser
IMG_9169.JPG

I plan to have multiple sets of Vossen Wheel's on the RX. For the GS we didn't change very often but for the RX, I'm kind of excited to try as much as possible. I choose our flow formed technology VFS-6 first for one big reason. We found out the 2016+ RX can fit A 9.5" width wheel with our +25 offset front and rear with no issues and being nearly flush with the fenders. This is a HUGE HUGE difference compared to past RX cars where only a 20x9 fits with the flat face and its not really flush. The 10.5" wheel always gave trouble without being super aggressive and with some lowering. I have not tested it yet but it seems the 10.5 should work with the right offsets. The cool thing means you can run the 9.5" wheel up front and the 10.5 in the rear if you want a staggered look or you can run a square setup. I can only imagine it lowered on 22's!!! Some might ask will it mess with the AWD system. I haven't heard of any issues with AWD and staggered setups. Most of the time with the new RX AWD system its running FWD anyway. That said I haven't ran it on the new RX so don't quote me on that.

These are 20x9.5+25 (available now in stock lol). We have this fitment in the VFS-1, VFS-2, VFS-5, VFS-6. You can go with a 21x9.5 as well and I hope to have pics of that setup soon.

IMG_1216.JPG

Another cool thing. If you want, the OEM LEXUS CENTERCAP FITS the VFS-5 and VFS-6! :)

IMG_6565.JPG

One more thing. I used the stock tires! They are the OEM size 235/55/20. Now ideally I would have went with a 245/55/20 for the wheel fit more flush with the tire but as you can see it fits fine with a slight bit of stretch. You might like that or not. After driving the car, its great. When I finalize my setup I will go with wider tires to make the RX feel more planted, as well as add the RS-R Springs.

For those that don't want he stretch the 20x9 +32 works as the 20x9+38. The +32 sits more flush with the fender. Honestly though, I am really REALLY pleased with how the 9.5 width looks on the RX and again, its mid-concave.
IMG_6767.JPG

I will have much better pictures, more feedback and a video on my youtube page this weekend!

Next steps;
Test Fit Vossen x Work Wheels (2-piece)
Install 21" Wheels and Tires
Install 22" Wheels and Tires ( I am a bit behind to some other awesome guys who have done it but its still part of my plan)
Install RS-R Lowering Springs
Install 20" Wheels and Tires
Install 21" Wheels and Tires
Install 22" Wheels and Tires
Build Custom Vossen Forged Set for the RX (leaning toward the new HC-1 if wife likes it lol)
Wheel_Gallery_HC-1_baa0a92c.jpg

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Finally had a chance to film my video and explanation of things. This is the first setup and the new RX allows for wider wheels compared to the past. As I explain you can still use the 20/21/22x9 inch wide wheel but the face will be flat.

Below is the 20x9.5 "mid concave" Vossen VFS-6 wheel. As you can see compared to the stock wheel or a 9" wide wheel there is a nice concave look. This also allows you to stay with a square setup (same width front and rear). I also used the stock 235 series tires! Super cost effective. There is a slight "stretch" but since the tire is so meaty the wheel sits fine. If you do want to buy tires a 245 or 255 series tire would be recommended.

Next up, a 21" setup then a 22" setup!

Full explanation below

31816262696_97c2bb926f_b.jpg

Mid-Concave

31481288040_3b8ab92a37_b.jpg

31481286980_16cd34cdd4_b.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
2. The rear wiper is totally hidden under the rear roof spoiler. Huge points Lexus!

Does that make the rear wiper blade (or insert) difficult to replace? My experience has been that, on most cars, they tend to last for about year or so before the wiping action starts to deteriorate....especially in areas with a lot of sun and/or high ozone concentration, which attacks the rubber.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Finally getting the RS-R Springs installed today by Miami Power Wheels. I'll have some immediate feedback and pics and then will be driving the RX extensively to provide everyone feedback. Then a Group Buy will come!

mikeavelli

Reactions
I wanted to upload this fast since its been MONTHS I've been promising results. The ride is fantastic, IMO better than stock more Lexus Like by being less harsh. The RX is lowered about 1.5 inches. Springs are about 10% stiffer than stock.. Big thanks to my friends at Miami Power Wheels!!

More videos coming this week.

Last edited: