Levi

Expert
Reactions
Can't really blame what he said. German Car Fans and Buyers are usually automotive ignorant. The only thing they know and care about is Badge Value.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Hey guys let's not get carried away. If Toyota's hybrid system is fitted with a solid state battery, would it improve its performance?

When it comes to the under 2.0l engine, is it going to be a 3 cylinder or a 4 cylinder? Is it going to be NA or turbo?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Hey guys let's not get carried away. If Toyota's hybrid system is fitted with a solid state battery, would it improve its performance?

Unlikely, since solid state batteries have low power density, making them only suitable for BEVs. Toyota is more likely to stick with liquid electrolyte Li-ion for HVs/PHVs. It is now at 1kW/kg at package level, but there's still a lot of potential. 3kW/kg is achievable on liquid electrolyte Li-ion (the Chevy Malibu Hybrid already achieved that with the 5kW/kg Fujitsu cell).

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Unlikely, since solid state batteries have low power density, making them only suitable for BEVs. They are more likely to stick with liquid electrolyte Li-ion for HVs/PHVs. They are now at 1kW/kg at package level, but there's still a lot of potential. 3kW/kg is achievable on liquid electrolyte Li-ion (the Chevy Malibu Hybrid already achieved that with the 5kW/kg Fujitsu cell).

Is there any reason Toyota kept their batteries at a low power density? Is it a cost issue or safety issue?

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
www.thedrive.com/tech/15584/toyotas-solid-state-battery-lifespan-disappoints-face-still-more-challenges

I hadn't heard about this tech and its developments. A little googling found this article. Apparently, it's not the energy density, so much as the lifespan of the batteries. "He did note that customers would not buy an electric car if the battery pack needed to be replaced after three years." This quote leads me to believe that the SSBs tend to wear out quickly.

It will be sometime before Toyota truly make high performance hybrids for the public. I personally hope Gazoo Racing churns out some badass vehicles in the future.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
www.thedrive.com/tech/15584/toyotas-solid-state-battery-lifespan-disappoints-face-still-more-challenges

I hadn't heard about this tech and its developments. A little googling found this article. Apparently, it's not the energy density, so much as the lifespan of the batteries. "He did note that customers would not buy an electric car if the battery pack needed to be replaced after three years." This quote leads me to believe that the SSBs tend to wear out quickly.

That article was a clickbait amongst all the anti-Toyota pro-Tesla press which was prevalent during that time. BBC reported it in a more neutral tone and the words used were like "Toyota wants a battery that could last well beyond 150,000km". The "three years" comment was not referring to the SSBs, but some sloppy Li-ion batteries made by some Chinese OEMs. Overall, they are making solid (no pun intended) progress in that front, although just like any new technology, they won't completely switch to it on Day One.

Low power density is an inherent characteristic of SSBs, since the electrodes have high impedence and thus low charge flux across them. You can Google it; it is shown clearly on a research funded by Toyota that, SSBs will have at most 2kW/L of volumetric power density, which is well below what regular Li-ion batteries can achieve.

Is there any reason Toyota kept their batteries at a low power density? Is it a cost issue or safety issue?

We don't really know what metric Toyota uses for battery power. Some manufacturers quote 15-second burst maximum, some 30-second burst maximum, and it can even be sustained output. These values can be wildly different. It could also be that the battery pack itself is not the limit, but rather it is the inverter. The true specs of the batteries are their trade secret, so we can only speculate. The 500h system has a 45kg pack with 45kW, making it roughly 1kW/kg, that's the only number accessible on our part.

What we do know is that the TS050 LMP1 car has a battery with more than 368kW, while the car itself only weighs 870kg (again, specific numbers of the battery is a trade secret). So clearly TMC should have a few cards up its sleeves. Maybe we will see the true potential of their batteries when they release their first mass-produced THS-R sports car.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Anyone have any ideas about what engine the next generation Yaris/Vios is going to have?

I would guess new 1.5 NR engine that they started putting everywhere last year, Europe has estec version.

And of course new 1.5l hybrid.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I will again bring the China-only Corolla/Levin hybrids to this discussion, because honestly TMEC Suzhou did the best job at making hybrids that are not annoying to drive. The Corolla hybrid is tuned for two scenarios: 0-50kph and 30-60kph acceleration which are the most common on chinese roads (starting from a green light and accelerating onto a highway ramp). At these speeds the hybrid system employs electric boost very aggressively, almost ramping up to maximum output instantly, unlike the Prius that just bogs even at WOT. To compensate for that, they also employ more aggressive regen strategies. Their market campaign repeatedly show the Corolla outrunning the BMW 320i or the Audi A4 TFSI. The end result is very positive; people recognize hybrids as not only more fuel efficient but also very fast.

An overly conservative software is what gave the Prius a terrible reputation. To preserve battery and maximize MPG, the hybrid system is programmed to, well, do nothing. The Corolla hybrid uses an identical hybrid system found on the Gen 4 Prius, but the two couldn't be further apart in terms of driving quality. The fuel economy for the Prius and the Corolla hybrid is 4.3L/100km and 4.7L/100km respectively. That's a 9% difference, but the Prius also had tons of aerodynamic and weight-saving tricks so I would say the actual advantage is less than 5%.

Very interesting, this is last year hybrid, what system does it have? Same as Prius?

Actually Toyota has mentioned more aggressive battery power in sport mode for both UX and ES. I wonder if this is basis of rumors of upcoming Prius engine update with more power.

Since many countries tax on CO2, and especially based on WLTP, they will likely put this in Sport mode only, since that will allow them to have both savings in standard more and extra power in Sports mode. This is of course very nice because users do not need full acceleration for a very long sustained time and is of course possible to do.

First gen GS450h actually had two "speeds" and it allowed for a lot more torque and power at up to 40 mph or whatever it was (forgot) but it was supposedly terribly expensive.

Also, main reason they are doing above is to counter Nissan's e-Power series hybrids that are becoming super popular in Japan, and exactly for the same reason - Nissan tuned it to deliver very good output at low speeds, and still deliver good rated mpg.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterl...at-the-hybrid-car-of-the-future/#f8ebebf7797c

Nissan keeps saying how their system is cheaper than parallel hybrid, but I seriously do question that since they would produce it outside Japan if this was the case. There is really no reason for them to let Toyota grab all the sales in Europe. However this year Nissan Note has overcome Prius this year to be #1 best seller, i would guess big reason is this e-power system.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Very interesting, this is last year hybrid, what system does it have? Same as Prius?
The Corolla HV shares powertrain with Gen.4 Prius, not the latest one. Gen.5 Prius powertrain is coming on the 2019 facelifted Corolla HV and Corolla PHV.

First gen GS450h actually had two "speeds" and it allowed for a lot more torque and power at up to 40 mph or whatever it was (forgot) but it was supposedly terribly expensive.
It is the predecessor to the multistage, a two stage system using a ravigenaux planetary gear.. The multistage expands upon that by adding an extra set of planetary gear giving four different ratios. It's misleading when Toyota PR say the multistage is a hybrid mated to a four speed auto, since the extra planetary gear sets are part of the hybrid system, and there's no torque converter. By their definition the GS450h had a hybrid mated to a two speed auto.

Also, main reason they are doing above is to counter Nissan's e-Power series hybrids that are becoming super popular in Japan, and exactly for the same reason - Nissan tuned it to deliver very good output at low speeds, and still deliver good rated mpg.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterl...at-the-hybrid-car-of-the-future/#f8ebebf7797c

Nissan keeps saying how their system is cheaper than parallel hybrid, but I seriously do question that since they would produce it outside Japan if this was the case. There is really no reason for them to let Toyota grab all the sales in Europe. However this year Nissan Note has overcome Prius this year to be #1 best seller, i would guess big reason is this e-power system.

e-Power is a pure serial hybrid that suits kei cars and subcompact city cars very well since it's very simple, hence its popularity in Japan. Actually Toyota regards it as a very competent threat and is investigating its own serial hybrid powertrain for Daihatsu. Alternatively it could source the mild-hybrid system from Suzuki, although it won't be nearly as efficient.

The problem is that it's not scalable. You see, it needs an ICE, a generator, a motor, and a very high power density battery, all of which become really expensive when required power levels grow above 60kW. The Chevy Volt (also a serial hybrid) has a huge battery that acts as a buffer to decouple the power of the generator and the motor. e-Power has close to no energy reservoir, so all the components need to be sized to exactly the same specs which drives up the cost.

Let's say you are making a 100kW hybrid car. On a pure serial hybrid you will need a 100kW ICE, a 100kW generator, a 100kW battery, and a 100kW motor (although the ICE and generator can be downsized to ~50kW). A serial-parallel needs a 75kW ICE, a 25kW generator, a 25kW battery, a 50kW motor, and a planetary gear system. Finally a parallel hybrid needs a 75kW ICE, a 25kW battery, a 25kW motor, and a mechanical gearbox. Now you see how e-Power becomes awkward in high power applications.

So in the end e-Power has its own sweet spot in Japan, but not enough of a threat in markets that need larger vehicles.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The Corolla HV shares powertrain with Gen.4 Prius, not the latest one. Gen.5 Prius powertrain is coming on the 2019 facelifted Corolla HV and Corolla PHV.

---

e-Power is a pure serial hybrid that suits kei cars and subcompact city cars very well since it's very simple, hence its popularity in Japan. Actually Toyota regards it as a very competent threat and is investigating its own serial hybrid powertrain for Daihatsu. Alternatively it could source the mild-hybrid system from Suzuki, although it won't be nearly as efficient.

1. Cool for Corolla Hybrid, this is what I thought. Upcoming PHEV should use Prime's.
2. It might be much simpler technologically (but still not cheaper possibly) but customer does not care about such things. They care that it is fast off the line (Prius c/ Vitz main issue) and that it gets good mpg.

It is good for us that customer likes Nissan's hybrids because it will make Toyota focus on speed, not just mpg.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
It is the predecessor to the multistage, a two stage system using a ravigenaux planetary gear.. The multistage expands upon that by adding an extra set of planetary gear giving four different ratios. It's misleading when Toyota PR say the multistage is a hybrid mated to a four speed auto, since the extra planetary gear sets are part of the hybrid system, and there's no torque converter. By their definition the GS450h had a hybrid mated to a two speed auto.

I thought a ravigneaux gear set was basically a double planetary gear with 2 suns and rings that is used by many 4 speed automatics. It seems a little overkill for a 2 speed. Maybe that's what the multistage is using?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I thought a ravigneaux gear set was basically a double planetary gear with 2 suns and rings that is used by many 4 speed automatics. It seems a little overkill for a 2 speed. Maybe that's what the multistage is using?

A ravigenaux gearset offers three forward ratios and one reverse ratio right? I think those 4ATs usually have an overdrive attached for the 4th gear.

The GS450h only makes use of two out of the three ratios. The multi-stage uses two separate planetary gearsets.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Great off the line acceleration and overtaking performance plus great fuel economy will help Toyota get even more supporters. Time to get rid of the sluggish acceleration found on the Pruis/Prius C.

And as for Gazoo Racing, THS-R please.

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
I love how Lexus reported a monthly sales increase this past month by using percentage rates, whereas most manufacturers reported true numbers.

Typical of Toyota: over reporting and over stating values, just like their engines.

I wouldn’t call that ignorance, though. Let’s see, what word would fit better? Hmm. Denial. There we go.

Rhambler is just a troll who is not actually a lexus enthusiast but just has too much time on his hands.

The Lexus numbers are reported every month but only an actual lexus enthusiast would know that :eyes:

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
I just never noticed it before and it is misleading in my opinion.

I only noticed it after reading Tragic’s post in the April Sales thread, where Lexus reported a monthly sales increase, while the media (and numbers) shows a decline.

Go to the summary release of other manufactuers and they report percentages based on volume, which to me makes more sense.

Like I said, denial, or it paints a misleading picture. Either way, regardless of how they report, it’s not changing (nor can it hide for long) the fact that another luxury maker will overtake Lexus if the REAL RATES don’t change.

Mercedes-Benz USA, propelled by strong demand for SUVs, topped the luxury U.S. sales race in April and continues to outpace its nearest rivals, No. 2 BMW and No. 3 Lexus, year to date.

Mercedes' U.S. sales inched 1 percent higher in April to 27,207, excluding the brand's commercial van sales. U.S. sales at Mercedes for January through April dipped 0.4 percent to 105,681 from a year ago. BMW sales rose 3.8 percent in April to 23,482, while Lexus volume dipped 2.1 percent to 21,642.

Rounding out the luxury segment's top five brands in April U.S. sales were Audi, with sales of 19,104, up 2.1 percent; and Acura, with deliveries of 11,888, down 16 percent.

Even with a dip in volume, Mercedes remains in first place among luxury brands year to date, followed by BMW (97,317) and Lexus (85,853).

Mercedes-Benz' volume leaders in April were the GLC, C class and GLE. The GLC took the lead in April with U.S. sales of 5,853, followed by C class deliveries of 5,148. The GLE rounded out the top three with 4,110 units sold.

"April sales are leading us into a solid second quarter," Mercedes-Benz USA CEO Dietmar Exler said in a statement. "We continue to see strong demand for our SUVs, and our increasingly diverse product lineup will continue this momentum as we enter into the summer months."

Porsche Cars North America Inc. reported April U.S. sales of 5,570 -- a monthly retail record -- and a 0.7 percent gain over April 2017. Retail sales for January through April rose 7 percent to 19,524 vehicles.

"The Porsche mix of two- and four-door sports cars is getting a broad welcome from customers," Porsche Cars North America CEO Klaus Zellmer said in a statement. "We see this in the strong April demand that crosses model lines."

April growth leaders were the 718 Cayman, up 67 percent year-over-year, and the Macan, which gained 33 percent from April 2017.

Total U.S. luxury sales dipped 2.2 percent in April, excluding Cadillac's results. And for the year, deliveries of luxury brands are up 1.3 percent, excluding Cadillac. General Motors is now releasing quarterly U.S. sales results, rather than monthly, for Cadillac and its other core brands, Chevrolet, GMC and Buick.

Overall, the luxury market is outperforming the total U.S. light-vehicle market, which slipped an estimated 4.8 percent in April but is up 0.2 percent year to date.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Great off the line acceleration and overtaking performance plus great fuel economy will help Toyota get even more supporters. Time to get rid of the sluggish acceleration found on the Pruis/Prius C.

And as for Gazoo Racing, THS-R please.

There are rumors of sport models with 250hp 1.6l 3cl turbo engine... I dont think it will be a hybrid (not a full one anyway).