Official Toyota & Lexus Future Powertrain/Product Discussion

Reaction score
The image shows the use of D-4D instead of D-4S (to save cost). The missing port injectors may account for some of the lost specific power and efficiency compared to 4-cylinder variants? I wonder how it suppresses carbon build-up without the self-cleaning function.

See Shizhi's picture. 30% more torque than the 1.3L 1NR-FKE it replaces. But that's a puny little engine so the comparison is not very fair.

EDIT: I just checked the 1NR-FKE's torque curve and it produces 105N.m at 2,000rpm and 110N.m at 2600rpm. Multiply that by 30% and you get 137N.m@2,000 and 143N.m@2600. So it may have more torque at 2,000 rpm than the last-gen 1.5L at its peak (136N.m at 4,400).
I am confused. I thought D-4D had to do with diesel applications and had nothing to do with D-4S?

Joaquin Ruhi

Expert
Staff member
Reaction score
Since when does the UR engine family have anything to do with Ford? Some trolls edited this wiki trying to spread misleading info.
Definitely a troll. I just read the "footnote source" after the sentence making that outrageous and baseless claim in Wikipedia (a 2006 Automotive Design & Production article by well-respected automotive journalist Gary Vasilach) and it makes no reference whatsoever to Ford origins for the UR V8. I tried to go into the Wikipedia article to remove that B.S., but I couldn't find the "link" to edit the article's introductory paragraph where that outlandish claim appears.

carguy420

Follower
Reaction score

Gecko

Connoisseur
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How will coronavirus and a global recession impact Lexus going forward?

Knowing how sensitive and conservative Japanese culture is, and seeing that Toyota's commitment to/investment in Lexus has seemed tepid for many years now, I am worried that some of the great new products we all hoped for and heard about could be pushed further off into the future. Many people feel that the tsunami and earthquakes of 2011 were a large factor in Lexus' strategy shift and resulting struggles.

If the market remains soft, will Lexus pull back further than it already has? While I know that decisions about product are made years in advance, many of Lexus recent product decisions already show great restraint - perhaps too much so - and I'm worried about how leadership might react to what is happening now.

Thoughts?

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
Depends on whether the recovery is 'V-shaped' or more like the Great Depression. They were betting too heavily on China and while the media tries to downplay the short-term contraction and predict double-digit growth in second half, the reality on the ground is millions of job losses, factories reopening but not producing anything, huge wage cuts, and nobody willing to spend money. I expect similar around the world. Maybe India emerges as the next big economic center but who knows.

'Experts' are counting on 5G infrastructure investment and increase in online content consumption. But you can't build the economy on hollow ground, you can't build an economy on people watching internet shows and playing video games.

Last edited:

Will1991

Follower
Reaction score
This time around is different, since I'm not seeing Lexus spending R&D money on older engines, here in Europe we're around 2 years away of being unable to sell older generation cars due to emissions legislation (Euro 6 Step-E), this being current CT/IS/NX which are a big part of European sales.

Even if they managed to get this older platforms to comply with them, they will be taking a big hit on average fleet emissions, so BEV/PHEV's will need to come...

Also, besides this both older models (CT/IS/NX) and the remaining non-global line up, (LX/GX for example), they will need to launch new models to be able to improve efficiencies and profit margins with TNGA platform...

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
The good thing is Toyota is the most disasters-proof car manufacturer in the world period. Unlike its competitors that are bleeding money even in good times, they have been preparing for this moment.

Unfortunately under the 'Toyota first' strategy it's uncertain whether the parent company is willing to invest heavily to 'bail out' Lexus, or just let it live or die on its own.

As far as powertrain is concerned. The investment has already been made on Gen.2 DF engines as far back as 2016. As the single most important component of any automobile, powertrains have very long lead times on development (over a decade, powertrain engineer is a very stable job).

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
I recently found this article by JSAE discussing new generation ICEs. It seems this is the first documentation with the exact thermal efficiency number of the V35A-FTS. It's 37% or ~227 g/kWh BSFC, which is slightly higher than the 2GR-FKS (230g/kWh) and comparable to the 8GR-FXS.

It is not the most efficient forced induction engine out there since I don't think it uses the combined Atkinson/Otto cycle as other DF engines do (can't confirm). The Honda L15B7 and VW EA211 Evo2 are both slightly more efficient at 225g/kWh or 37.5% using simulated Atkinson cycle. However neither of these engines are designed to handle massive amounts of power and torque and both are Inline-4 designs which are inherently less lossy than V6. It is also nowhere near the 40% efficiency of the Nissan KR20DDET with variable compression, but the latter is a significantly more complex design.

Compared to the benchmark (Ford Ecoboost 99G) it's noticeably more efficient. The 272kW (365hp) gen-2 variant used on the F-150 was tested by SAE to have a thermal efficiency of 35% or 238g/kWh, while being 13% less powerful than the V35A variant on the LS500. The 335kW(450hp) variant used on the Raptor should be even less efficient due to lower compression ratio.

The V35A-FTS and the 8GR-FXS Multistage are two very impressive powertrains that are heldback by a car weighing over 2200kg. Both would be much better received by the media if they were able to show their true potential on a lighter car like the GS. If only...

Last edited: