Official Toyota & Lexus Future Powertrain/Product Discussion

carguy420

Follower
Reaction score
For some reason Carwow suggests the petrol version of the new Yaris will use a 1.0L turbo but with unknown number of cylinders. Maybe a variation of the 1KR-VET 3 cylinder turbo? It would be awesome if it gained D4-S, might add too much cost though.

spwolf

Expert
Reaction score
For some reason Carwow suggests the petrol version of the new Yaris will use a 1.0L turbo but with unknown number of cylinders. Maybe a variation of the 1KR-VET 3 cylinder turbo? It would be awesome if it gained D4-S, might add too much cost though.
might be next gen of that engine too. Although 1.5l is also really good, so lets see what happens.

I keep being reminded that 1.6l 3cly (?) with 240-250hp is coming, so we might get 1.0l turbo that is not the "base" engine.

carguy420

Follower
Reaction score
might be next gen of that engine too. Although 1.5l is also really good, so lets see what happens.

I keep being reminded that 1.6l 3cly (?) with 240-250hp is coming, so we might get 1.0l turbo that is not the "base" engine.
Isn't it confirmed that the 1.6L turbo is a 4 cylinder in a previous interview with Tommi Makinen?

So the 1.0L turbo sits above the 1.5L NA?

spwolf

Expert
Reaction score
Isn't it confirmed that the 1.6L turbo is a 4 cylinder in a previous interview with Tommi Makinen?

So the 1.0L turbo sits above the 1.5L NA?
I have no idea. Current 1.0l KR turbo would be replacement for 1. 5l which doesnt make too much sense. But then again they were happy to raise Corolla costs in Europe significantly due to 1.2t being base engine. Maybe new NA 3cly M20a version is coming to replace it but right now here in eastern Europe I see 2k-2.5k difference between sedan with 1.6l and hatch with 1.2t while hybrids are similar price.

Also 3cly turbo rumors are still happening, and China has that 3cly version of new M20 engine coming so I can see turbo being variation of that engine series.