carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
For some reason Carwow suggests the petrol version of the new Yaris will use a 1.0L turbo but with unknown number of cylinders. Maybe a variation of the 1KR-VET 3 cylinder turbo? It would be awesome if it gained D4-S, might add too much cost though.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
For some reason Carwow suggests the petrol version of the new Yaris will use a 1.0L turbo but with unknown number of cylinders. Maybe a variation of the 1KR-VET 3 cylinder turbo? It would be awesome if it gained D4-S, might add too much cost though.

might be next gen of that engine too. Although 1.5l is also really good, so lets see what happens.

I keep being reminded that 1.6l 3cly (?) with 240-250hp is coming, so we might get 1.0l turbo that is not the "base" engine.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
might be next gen of that engine too. Although 1.5l is also really good, so lets see what happens.

I keep being reminded that 1.6l 3cly (?) with 240-250hp is coming, so we might get 1.0l turbo that is not the "base" engine.
Isn't it confirmed that the 1.6L turbo is a 4 cylinder in a previous interview with Tommi Makinen?

So the 1.0L turbo sits above the 1.5L NA?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Isn't it confirmed that the 1.6L turbo is a 4 cylinder in a previous interview with Tommi Makinen?

So the 1.0L turbo sits above the 1.5L NA?

I have no idea. Current 1.0l KR turbo would be replacement for 1. 5l which doesnt make too much sense. But then again they were happy to raise Corolla costs in Europe significantly due to 1.2t being base engine. Maybe new NA 3cly M20a version is coming to replace it but right now here in eastern Europe I see 2k-2.5k difference between sedan with 1.6l and hatch with 1.2t while hybrids are similar price.

Also 3cly turbo rumors are still happening, and China has that 3cly version of new M20 engine coming so I can see turbo being variation of that engine series.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
This is it guys, the baby brother of TNGA, the TNGA-B. I'm a little surprised that it is designed to have either a torsion beam or a multilink rear suspension, multilink rear suspension has become almost unheard of in modern B-segment cars. Toyota is getting real serious with this one.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Daihatsu DN Trek & Toyota version of it
Most likely, but this reminds me of something I'm not really clear on. Holistically, Toyota's smallest current "new" architecture is DNGA (Daihatsu New Global Architecture), developed by its wholly-owned small car affiliate. Although DNGA has thus far appeared only on some of Toyota and Daihatsu's JDM kei cars, I remember reading that DNGA is "scalable for vehicles in the 1-liter class".

With Toyota ending its agreement with Peugeot Citroën at the end of the current Aygo / 108 / C1's life cycle, it stands to reason that Toyota will turn inward (or to Daihatsu) for its successor. But what architecture will it use? A stretched DNGA? Or a new occasionally rumored TNGA-A? Would a stand-alone TNGA-A be closely related to DNGA much as the relation between the latest Toyota Crown's TNGA-N and Lexus' GA-L?

Final question: Is the Daihatsu DN Trek Concept A-segment or B-segment-sized? (I don't recall offhand).

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Most likely, but this reminds me of something I'm not really clear on. Holistically, Toyota's smallest current "new" architecture is DNGA (Daihatsu New Global Architecture), developed by its wholly-owned small car affiliate. Although DNGA has thus far appeared only on some of Toyota and Daihatsu's JDM kei cars, I remember reading that DNGA is "scalable for vehicles in the 1-liter class".

With Toyota ending its agreement with Peugeot Citroën at the end of the current Aygo / 108 / C1's life cycle, it stands to reason that Toyota will turn inward (or to Daihatsu) for its successor. But what architecture will it use? A stretched DNGA? Or a new occasionally rumored TNGA-A? Would a stand-alone TNGA-A be closely related to DNGA much as the relation between the latest Toyota Crown's TNGA-N and Lexus' GA-L?

Final question: Is the Daihatsu DN Trek Concept A-segment or B-segment-sized? (I don't recall offhand).
3995×1695×1620mm

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The SWB, narrow-body Vitz has been accompanied by the LWB, wide-body Vios since early 2000s. The latter is Toyota's core product in SEA. The extra dimensions allow them to offer a Corolla-sized mainstream car at a lower cost. Vios is also Toyota's entry-level product in China, where the sub-4m size just doesn't sell. Almost every ChDM Segment B products are stretched LWB versions. Since TNGA-B allows variable wheelbase and length, I believe they will still offer the Asia-centric Vios separate from the EU-centric Vitz.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
3995×1695×1620mm
For reference:

Toyota Aygo
Wheelbase: 2340mm (92.1")
Length: 3455mm (136")
Width: 1615mm (63.6")
Height: 1460mm (57.5")

Toyota Yaris
Wheelbase: 2510mm (98.8")
Length: 3945mm (155.3")
Width: 1695mm (66.7")
Height: 1510mm (59.4")

Daihatsu DN Trec (concept)
Wheelbase: ?
Length: 3980mm (156.7")
Width: 1695mm (66.7")
Height: 1600mm (63")

Even with the all-important wheelbase figure a mystery, it's still clear that the Daihatsu DN Trec concept is closer in size to Yaris (B-segment) than to Aygo (A-segment). So, yes, the Daihatsu DN Trec may well be a preview of the long-rumored TNGA-B, Yaris-derived crossover. Then again, it's not unheard of for concepts to change size classes once they reach production. Case in point: Volkswagen's 1994 Concept One that previewed the original New Beetle revival was based on the B-segment Volkswagen Polo. By the time it went into production in 1997, it was instead based on the larger C-segment Golf.

On a final note, I notice slight differences between my DN Trec numbers and Flexus'. Not sure what his source is, but mine is Carlist.my.
https://www.carlist.my/news/tokyo-2017-daihatsu-dn-trec-concept-next-perodua-suv/47989/

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I doubt Toyota will let Daihatsu use this TNGA-B platform, it's basically like letting your little brother step on your toes for as much as he likes.

FYI Daihatsu has a lot of interesting concept cars that look production ready but they never made it into production for almost all the time, I mean just look at how bland their current product lineup is, only the Copen can be considered as an exception but then again it's a Kei car and it's not very suitable for most countries other than Japan.

Why Daihatsu and Perodua these days refuse to make small cars that are interesting and fun to drive? It's not like they never made fun little cars before.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I doubt Toyota will let Daihatsu use this TNGA-B platform, it's basically like letting your little brother step on your toes for as much as he likes.

FYI Daihatsu has a lot of interesting concept cars that look production ready but they never made it into production for almost all the time...
You make an excellent point. Conversely, there are a couple of larger Toyotas rebadged as Daihatsu for the Japanese market (Altis=rebadged Camry and Mebius=rebadged Prius v) so it's conceivable that DN Trec could actually be a Toyota that has been previewed as a Daihatsu concept. Or maybe we're all just getting carried away by a particularly compelling Daihatsu concept. While we're on that subject, I'll also admit to being a fan of the DN Compagno concept that was shown at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show. This one's a retro-flavored update of what was perhaps the last non-Toyota Daihatsu before its 1967 takeover by the big T.