isanatori

Follower
Reactions
It pains me to disappoint my daughter and possibly my wife for reneging on a statement that we might get a German BEV (Q4 etron, Macan if priced reasonable) but damn, I'm the only person bringing our cars in for servicing and repairs and I'm not a glutton for punishment.

Lexus is probably a good compromise. I doubt Toyota will be aggressive with BEVs in its Toyota North American line up, at least in the next five or six years.

Are German cars an option, yet? I thought, customers wouldn't like to give power to Charlemagnes after the uncovering.

Anyway, I have some news.

Watch the advertising of Toyota BEV in China. Pause at 0:12. It's range is competitive with Chevy Volt plug in hybrid, EV range.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^That frame doesn't say anything about range.

What they Did show is that it will have 11 packs (5+3 double stack). These packs also don't span the full track width like competitors do.

I it's possible to deduce capacity using these two pieces of information. I won't go through the trouble of doing that, but it roughly looks like 60 kWh.

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
^^That frame doesn't say anything about range.

What they Did show is that it will have 11 packs (5+3 double stack). These packs also don't span the full track width like competitors do.

I it's possible to deduce capacity using these two pieces of information. I won't go through the trouble of doing that, but it roughly looks like 60 kWh.

At 0:12 seconds
By looking at the dashboard
Bottom-Left: the ev charge capacity is full green. 100%

Top-Right : Range distance ⛽<100 km
Therefore, according to dashboard, range is 62 US miles when battery fully charged.

What do you think?

Last edited:

flexus

Admirer
Reactions

Therefore, according to dashboard, range is 62 US miles when battery fully charged.

What do you think?
It's the speed limit set for cruise control. Seems like lane assist is also engaged. Maybe it has some level of semiautonomus driving capabilities.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Was the TNGA designed to fit various powertrains? I'm interested info about EV and FCV. Also is Toyota developing any diesel engines or will they just use old ones or Skyactiv-D? I belive they aren't offering any diesel models in Europe at the moment.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

What do you think?

Have you ever used cruiser control?

At least try to use some logic when posting something like this. What makes you think a BEV only has 100 km of electric range? It obviously makes zero sense.

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
At least try to use some logic when posting something like this. What makes you think a BEV only has 100 km of electric range? It obviously makes zero sense.
I think 100 km should be more than enough for city use. Toyota also have supplied some cities with i-road sometime in the past and it has been working pretty well, having much less range.
Wouldn't need also less time to charge a low energy capacity battery than one with a higher energy capacity?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think 100 km should be more than enough for city use. Toyota also have supplied some cities with i-road sometime in the past and it has been working pretty well, having much less range.
Wouldn't need also less time to charge a low energy capacity battery than one with a higher energy capacity?

The I-Road is a NEV, which means it's not designed as a fully functional car. It's for point-to-point urban transit only.

The problem with such tiny batteries is that the owner is forced to develop a habit of keeping it charged. Range anxiety is a huge factor when consumers buy a BEV, which is why most BEVs have way more range than required for average person's commute.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Was the TNGA designed to fit various powertrains? I'm interested info about EV and FCV. Also is Toyota developing any diesel engines or will they just use old ones or Skyactiv-D? I belive they aren't offering any diesel models in Europe at the moment.

Yes. From the TNGA announcement, I believe it can support gas, batteries, hybrids, alternatives (hydrogen) and who knows what else?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Are German cars an option, yet? I thought, customers wouldn't like to give power to Charlemagnes after the uncovering.

Anyway, I have some news.

Watch the advertising of Toyota BEV in China. Pause at 0:12. It's range is competitive with Chevy Volt plug in hybrid, EV range.

German BEVs are an option when nothing is coming out of Toyota or Honda for North America. What is the German going to do this time with a battery pack, let it self-destruct after eight years? :)

Things are changing though.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27206772/honda-ohio-plant-adds-hybrids-evs/

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota promises a next-generation Land Cruiser is on its way
New body-on-frame SUV expected to go all V6 in the U.S.

On sale since the 2008 model year and facelifted twice in the interim, the Toyota Land Cruiser has lately begun rolling out the special editions. Last year we got the 2019 Lexus LX Inspiration, this year we got the 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition. This likely means a changing of the model guard is close, the 300-Series Land Cruiser on the horizon to replace the current 200-Series. When Motor Authority asked Toyota SVP Bill Fay about the U.S. getting the next generation, Fay replied, "We are fully committed to the Land Cruiser for the foreseeable future."

The reason for the question could have been Land Cruiser sales figures for the past 14 years, when the model never cleared 5,000 units. The swankier Lexus LX sibling sells in greater numbers, but even lumping the two trucks, they've crested 10,000 sales just twice since 2005. On top of that, two of the largest regional markets for the Land Cruiser are Australia and the Middle East, which have different regulatory regimes, and the 2019 Highlander has a three-row option.

Why carry on with the Land Cruiser here? Fay told MA the body-on-frame bruiser is a "heritage vehicle," a staple in the U.S. lineup since 1958.

But the Cruiser that comes next is expected to LS-ify its powertrain formula, which means getting rid of V8s for V6s. The 5.7-liter V8 with 381 horsepower, 401 pound-feet of torque, and an EPA rating of 15 miles per gallon combined should go away. The 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 in the Lexus LS 500 gets the nod to take its place, as the Land Cruiser make concessions to fuel economy and emissions standards. A poster on a forum said it's possible that a Dynamic Force version of that engine might appear. As is, that engine makes 416 hp and 442 lb-ft in the luxury sedan and is mated to a 10-speed automatic, the same transmission said to replace the current eight-speed in the Land Cruiser. Automotive mediums predict a hybrid Cruiser, too, potentially with the same 3.5-liter naturally aspirated V6 and 10-speed auto in the LS hybrid, putting out 354 combined horsepower in the sedan.

Because there are so many Land Cruiser versions around the world, it's impossible to say whether V8 options will die globally. Land Cruiser fans, either through desperation or good intel, say that isn't the case. For instance, another forum poster said the 3.5-liter TT V6 and NA V6 would replace two V8s and a V6 we don't get here, but that the "Top V8 will get a new V8 not replaced with 3.5 V6." Diesel's certain to live on overseas as well, and with a Toyota engineer once stating that the Land Cruiser was designed to survive 25 years of of service in a Third World country, simple and robust options must remain on the menu. An Australian report said the "more agricultural 70 Series ... Land Cruiser ute, wagon and TroopCarrier derivatives are likely to solider on unchanged for the foreseeable future."

A Japanese report laid out dimensions for the 300 Series, which barely deviate from the current truck. The new ladder-frame chassis is said to underpin an SUV that's 194.8 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 75.6 inches high, on a 112.2-inch wheelbase. That means a vehicle just 1.6 inches taller and 0.1 inches shorter in length than the one we have now.

Sleeker lines, LED headlights, a lot more technology, and more differentiation between the Land Cruiser and the LX are said to be coming. Toyota Safety Sense and a new infotainment system seem a given, perhaps with the 12.3-inch screen. We could get a preview of the model at this year's Tokyo Motor Show. Production is said to commence for the Land Cruiser in mid-2020 as a 2021 model year, the LX following a year later in 2022.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/22/toyota-land-cruiser-next-generation/

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
You do realize that information about V8 is from this forum? So somehow our random speculations become a credible source?

I should stop posting on their EV Info then...I could imagine some media claiming the C-HR BEV having 60 kWh battery and 143 kW motor because I once said it, which is never intended to be factually correct.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
You do realize that information about V8 is from this forum? So somehow our random speculations become a credible source?

I should stop posting on their EV Info then...I could imagine some media claiming the C-HR BEV having 60 kWh battery and 143 kW motor because I once said it, which is never intended to be factually correct.

Yes, both the V6 and V8 rumors originated here, evidently :joy:

Reactions
Okay, so the 2GR-FKS in the Tacoma has the self cleaning tech... Do all versions/applications of this engine have the self cleaning tech? Like in the Camry? Also, what about other new engines in the line-up?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Okay, so the 2GR-FKS in the Tacoma has the self cleaning tech... Do all versions/applications of this engine have the self cleaning tech? Like in the Camry? Also, what about other new engines in the line-up?

If engine has D4S, then yes... I am not aware of their engines today that have DI but not full D4S, so I guess all of them have it.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The only D-4 engine in their lineup is the 8NR-FTS. Apparently that engine has a lot of reliability problems in China, though not related to the fuel system. Now that the Mark X is discontinued their D-4 V6 engines are all out of production.

Reactions
The only D-4 engine in their lineup is the 8NR-FTS. Apparently that engine has a lot of reliability problems in China, though not related to the fuel system. Now that the Mark X is discontinued their D-4 V6 engines are all out of production.
Okay, so D-4 is strictly direct injection and D-4S is direct and port injection, but how do we know which engines have the self cleaning tech? Or even which applications of the 2GR-FKS. I guess what I am getting at is, if Toyota has D-4S in an engine, they better have the self cleaning tech come standard. As has been pointed out, DI has some serious carbon build-up issues.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Okay, so D-4 is strictly direct injection and D-4S is direct and port injection, but how do we know which engines have the self cleaning tech? Or even which applications of the 2GR-FKS. I guess what I am getting at is, if Toyota has D-4S in an engine, they better have the self cleaning tech come standard. As has been pointed out, DI has some serious carbon build-up issues.

Engines with D4S always have carbon deposit cleaning, and these engines never had carbon deposit issues... i believe first one was released 14 years ago, so the "solution" works and is proven in practice.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The most informative account I've read on D-4S self-cleaning functionality is an August 2015 article by Christie Schweinsberg of WardsAuto. Although it seems that D4-S, because of its very use of dual injectors, has always had some degree of self-cleaning ability, it markedly improved with the transition of the 2GR V6 from FSE to FKS, which debuted with the 2016 Toyota Tacoma. Here are key passages from her article:

“What we’re doing is we have a slit on the side of our injector and we’re blowing that carbon off,” Mike Sweers, the ’16 Tacoma’s chief engineer, tells WardsAuto here during the truck’s media preview. “If we tried to use just high pressure, using just the nozzle itself, you would clean the bottom of that nozzle.

“But since the carbon grows from the outside and comes around, you would still plug up that injector,” he adds. “So by cleaning on the outside of that, we get a clean injector all the time.”

Drivers may hear the self-cleaning taking place during a hot idle, and the process could last from 10 seconds to as long as 10 minutes, depending on driving patterns and the amount of build-up on the injectors.

“When you go into a hot-idle situation, the system is going to look at the time that it ran, the number of cycles the injectors went through, the temperature of the injectors and then it goes into a self-cleaning mode,” Sweers says. “Because we have the port injection, I can continue idling the engine without having any side effects.”

He compares the technology to a self-cleaning oven, as no additives are necessary.

“You stop at a light (and) it may clean for 10 seconds, you’re going to take off and stop at another light and it’s going to clean for (another) 10 seconds,” he says, noting the engine will deliver torque when a driver wants it and shut off the cleaning mode.

The 10-minute cleaning cycle occurs during longer idling, such as in a drive-thru line.

The next-generation D-4S is paired with the next generation of Toyota’s 2GR engine family, the 3.5L 2GR-FKS.

Given that the above article was written in 2015, upon the launch of the first 2GR-FKS V6 (again, in the 2016 Tacoma), it naturally doesn't address subsequent applications of the 2GR-FKS. I'd say that it's a safe bet to assume that they've all gained this enhanced self-cleaning functionality. I do know that all of the North America 2GR 3.5-liter V6s currently sold in new-car showrooms are the upgraded FKS. I'm not sure if the enhanced self-cleaning injectors have made their way to other Toyota/Lexus D4-S applications (UR V8s; the Subaru flat-4 in the 86/BRZ; alternate GR V6 displacements and JDM GR V6 applications such as Mark X, Alphard, Vellfire and Lexus LM, etc.).

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
German BEVs are an option when nothing is coming out of Toyota or Honda for North America. What is the German going to do this time with a battery pack, let it self-destruct after eight years? :)

Things are changing though.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a27206772/honda-ohio-plant-adds-hybrids-evs/

Toyota has been giving lessons the whole industrial world, how great company it is. Such great that, it does not deserve us.

Toyota (fans?) instead of showing some respect to Toyota, they are expressing negativity in favor of press!

Press had been really hostile against the prius introduction, yet it is Toyota being vindicated against press.

Of course, it's a given that press has no reason to go against the ongoing Goebbelist practices of the German lobby, as they have been getting uncovered since 2015.
Press is supporting them by hosting their ads and testing /benchmarking their products.

Everyone's responsible for his own actions and deserve the appropriate respect according to his actions.

Yet us, instead of keeping a cautious stance towards Toyota criticism, we are putting such pressure on Toyota, as if we are fighting them!

Toyota dislikes BEV batteries for some reasons. But you want to change that!
I have seen many positive comments about Mazda skyactive (partial) HCCI engines and Mazda deserves credit nevertheless.

But, we have yet to see HCCI on HSD s too! Not only that, but the HSD makes the HCCI adaptation even more easy! Actually, the more HSD improves, the easiest will be possible for ICE engines to become more efficient. There are so many components in HSD gasoline engines that could be removed or replaced with more fragile ones!

In Toyotas HSD book, ICE has a great future in the world of zero emission vehicles.

I conclude with probably the most wise comment I have ever read on forums. Instead of respecting Toyota, we are ridiculing them in favor of the <Germans the crooks>. That's how I apprehend spwolf comment.

spwolf deserves huge credit for his genius. If I could, I would have clicked Like some dozens of times!

It is pretty ironic that main reason Lexus ever got away from touchscreens was that media wrote how it was same as Toyota and how Germans have much better remote interfaces and how touch screens were passe...