CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Just some future information here, don't expect Toyota or Lexus to go wild with EV models worldwide. Internally Toyota is still not convinced on the EV hype, and that translating to enough real world buyers. EV models will definitely be offered, but not on a massive worldwide scale. Hybrids will still be a huge part, and the main electrification strategy going forward with Toyota and Lexus models. Even if they're plug-ins, they'll still be hybrids and not pure EVs.

Also hydrogen will become a huge part of Toyota and Lexus in the farther future. Many people doubt this, but internally ToMoCo (and other major automakers) wants this to happen and Toyota will push very hard for this to happen.

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
What is roughly the 0-100 km/h performance of the new Camry hybrid?

7.4-7.9 seconds, depending on the reviews that you read. So averaged out, it's roughly mid 7 seconds 0-60 time. Note: these times are for 0-60 (mph) so 0-100 km/h times will be a fraction slower.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I seriously hope Toyota puts more emphasis on the performance of their engines and transmissions.

For example, I've heard people complain about the hybrid and V6 powertains in the new Camry, Avalon and ES, saying their performance feels neutered by the tuning of the engine and transmission.

Reactions
I seriously hope Toyota puts more emphasis on the performance of their engines and transmissions.

For example, I've heard people complain about the hybrid and V6 powertains in the new Camry, Avalon and ES, saying their performance feels neutered by the tuning of the engine and transmission.

Yup. Back in the mid-2000's Toyota and Lexus had cars that went as fast, or even faster than current cars go today, and that's because they're focusing on fuel economy in sacrifice of performance. It has to do with the tuning of the transmission (long gear ratios) and the engine as well (engine is asleep until 4000 RPM for V6 vehicles). It has also to do with how they are configurating their engines to primarily be in Atkinson Cycle then under strenuous performance it will change to the Otto Cycle. Net result of this are cars that are pretty anemic and sleepy. In order for the driver to get any satisfactory performance you would have to wring the neck of the car for that to happen.

An infamous example are cars that have the Lexus 5.0L V8. In any application (except IS F), there has always been complaints that the gearing was too long (Toyota and Lexus' attempt to be fuel efficient with a gas guzzling engine), but on the other hand the shifts are stupidly fast (like dual-clutch level).

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

i have pretty much every review that exists for ES and I have never saw anyone complain about it... are you talking about complains from people on other forums or reviewers and people who actually drove the car?

Same goes for Avalon and Camry... Camry had a TSB for improving transmission earlier this year or late last one, i forgot.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I couldn't imagine how would anyone complain about the V6. The V6 Camry/Avalon/ES are all traction limited because fwd and the engine actually overpowers the cars, since 2006. Having a more 'performance-oriented tune' wouldn't do any good because the bottleneck here is traction (which will be solved by AWD).

I can understand the complain about the new hybrid though. Way too soft on the tuning. But I guess the eCVT needs to 'learn' the driver as well?

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I couldn't imagine how would anyone complain about the V6. The V6 Camry/Avalon/ES are all traction limited because fwd and the engine actually overpowers the cars, since 2006. Having a more 'performance-oriented tune' wouldn't do any good because the bottleneck here is traction (which will be solved by AWD).

I can understand the complain about the new hybrid though. Way too soft on the tuning. But I guess the eCVT needs to 'learn' the driver as well?

nobody real is complaining about either... it is just forum trolls on other forums.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

Will they offer AWD for the Camry/Avalon/ES once the RAV4 and its Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system official go on sale?

I saw a video on YouTube where they test the Camry Hybrid's acceleration, it seemed to accelerate quite well all the way to 180 km/h, it's from Japan though and ignore the fact that its 0-100km/h time is based on the speedometer.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Will they offer AWD for the Camry/Avalon/ES once the RAV4 and its Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system official go on sale?

I saw a video on YouTube where they test the Camry Hybrid's acceleration, it seemed to accelerate quite well all the way to 180 km/h, it's from Japan though and ignore the fact that its 0-100km/h time is based on the speedometer.

we dont know what type of AWD is coming into all these vehicles, but they should start arriving in 2019.

I dont think it has anything to do with Rav4 introduction.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
@ssun30 ping - best car came out with info about Prius MMC and it has li-ion batteries on all models... interesting since Prius sells around 100k in Japan alone, and likely around 300k around the world... it seems they will significantly increase their li-ion battery production next year.

It is coming soon, December 2018.

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/newcar/44432

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
^^The plan to expand Li-ion production was announced back in March along with plans to expand HV battery (NiMH) production in China, as well as setting up a new HV plant in Thailand. So it seems that they are moving NiMH production out of Japan and focus on Li-ion at their mainland plant. Also, it's good to see Toyota is NOT sourcing batteries from some cheap third-party OEM in China for their PHVs.

Sad to see the Mark X gone! Wish the FWD Mark X is not true.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Wouldn't a FWD Mark X basically be a Camry reskin?

I'm eager to see what hybrid vehicles are in the pipeline and really hope Toyota starts using more Li-ion batteries instead of the long in the tooth NiMH batteries.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions

I'm eager to see what hybrid vehicles are in the pipeline and really hope Toyota starts using more Li-ion batteries instead of the long in the tooth NiMH batteries.

They are not sold on Li-ion yet. They keep NiMH for HVs because it has good enough performance, and is much safer than Li-ion. NiMH cells are self-limiting, meaning overheating will stop them from discharging. Li-ion is the opposite: once it overheats, it catches fire due to thermal runaway and is basically impossible to put out other than cooling it and wait. So they are using Japan as a testing ground for Li-ion. After all, the Japanese press is much easier to handle than the western media.

The biggest downside of NiMH for HVs is cost. Li-ion packs are cheaper to manufacture because fewer cells and supporting components are required.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
^^The plan to expand Li-ion production was announced back in March along with plans to expand HV battery (NiMH) production in China, as well as setting up a new HV plant in Thailand. So it seems that they are moving NiMH production out of Japan and focus on Li-ion at their mainland plant. Also, it's good to see Toyota is NOT sourcing batteries from some cheap third-party OEM in China for their PHVs.

yeah, but not moving, rather expanding as you said above... they are now limited by production for their hybrids, they need to increase their hybrid components by 100% in next 3 years max.... they sell 1.5m today worldwide and they plan to do around 3m in 2021:

To bridge the gap, the battery manufacturer is expanding aggressively. By 2021, it plans to ramp up capacity in Japan to near 2.5 million packs a year. It will also double China production to about 210,000 packs annually when a second factory comes on line in 2020.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...xation-clear-from-supplier-with-no-ev-battery

IMHO it has to mean large cost reductions that will bring the prices down, otherwise they would not be able to sell 3m hybirds in 2021 up from maybe 1.6m-1.7m in 2018. They are already offering hybrids on most of their models in Europe, Japan, China and NA, so for sales to double, it means prices will be more competitive.

For instance, C-HR hybrid around here is $5k more expensive than 1.2t, which is really a huge difference... so this will likely go down to 2.5k or something for sales to double.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
A FWD Mark X would, most likely, be a rebadge of the latest Avalon.

Also worth noting is that "the Mark X gone" refers to China, where (as the Reiz) it went out of production exactly a year ago. The Mark X is still produced and sold in new Toyota dealerships in Japan.