ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Best Car March 10, 2024 issue [Magazine]

"Engine Return Theory" - Morizo

Not the best translation, but talks more about Toyota not moving to full electric vehicles.
It would be more helpful to post the original Japanese text instead of machine translations.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
So according to that, Toyota is working on a 2.2L 4 cylinder version of the G16E? Am I understanding that correctly? I kinda struggle seeing where that would be used. The MR2 makes the most sense, but aside from that, I dunno. The rumored 86 sedan and wagon? GR Camry? ES-F? RX-F? None of those seem to be a justifiable business case for a whole new engine, especially with the T24, S20, and hybrid as options.

I think if Toyota were to add cylinders to the G16, they should add three more and have a TT I6 to use in the Supra, RC+LC, IS-F, and LS.

Reactions
So according to that, Toyota is working on a 2.2L 4 cylinder version of the G16E? Am I understanding that correctly? I kinda struggle seeing where that would be used. The MR2 makes the most sense, but aside from that, I dunno. The rumored 86 sedan and wagon? GR Camry? ES-F? RX-F? None of those seem to be a justifiable business case for a whole new engine, especially with the T24, S20, and hybrid as options.

I think if Toyota were to add cylinders to the G16, they should add three more and have a TT I6 to use in the Supra, RC+LC, IS-F, and LS.

That's what I want. 😫

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
One of the earliest BestCar rumors on the GR GT3 (right after Tokyo Auto Salon) was that the racing engine will actually be a 4-cylinder. Maybe the old 5.4L will live on for a couple of years, but the TTV8 was not supposed in the race car because it's too heavy and way oversized for GT3. The G16E-GTS already makes over 500PS with factory internals, making a 600PS+ 4-cylinder version is trivial.

Toyota's most successful racing engine in history was the 3S-GTE and 503E derived from it. 850PS from a 2.1L I4. Won almost every category it raced in. Having a really small, light, durable, easy to repair I4 is a big advantage in motorsport. A "G22-GTS" will be 2157cc which is almost identical to the 2142cc 503E.

So I think the LFR and GR GT might actually be twin models with the former being a 1000PS V8TT PHEV and the latter being a 500PS I4 ICEV but much lighter and suitable for racing.

Last edited:

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

Toyota’s joint venture battery company with Panasonic will become a wholly owned subsidiary of the Japanese automaker later this month.

The company, Primearth EV Energy Co., Ltd (PEVE), is currently 51% owned by Toyota and 49% owned by Panasonic. It mass produces batteries for hybrid electric vehicles but plans to also begin producing batteries for BEVs and PHEVs and play an important role in Toyota’s growing electrification plans.

Toyota says that “more competitive batteries will enhance the appeal of Toyota’s electric vehicle offerings and contribute to achieving carbon neutrality through a multi-pathway approach.”

Primearth EV Energy was formed as Panasonic EV Energy Co in December 1996 with Toyota holding a 40% stake and Panasonic having the remaining 60% stake. The company was renamed Primearth EV Energy in June 2010 and at the time was 80.5% owned by Toyota. It currently employs approximately 4,700 people.

The car manufacturer notes that the acquisition of PEVE will allow it to flexibly respond to growing battery demand and boost its competitiveness.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Yep, battery is key differentiator, in the EV landscape. Probably doesn't want JV to supply Tesla's Asian manufacturing either lol.

Probably why Honda quit the JV with GM.