flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
We really need a true large SUV that is inline with the size of the Navigator and Escalade. Everyone in the US wants an SUV, but what they really need is a minivan. Lexus LM would make more sense and practicality than a bof SUV.

I have high hopes a future TX will solve some of the people moving/cargo aspects that the RX L, GX and LX can't deliver.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
turbo v8 powered ISF will be interesting. will make it again the last of its kind.

Will1991

Reactions
Toyota recently published a patent for an all-solid-state battery:

"An all-solid-state battery includes a positive electrode layer, a solid electrolyte layer, and a negative electrode layer. The solid electrolyte layer separates the positive electrode layer from the negative electrode layer. The positive electrode layer includes a positive electrode active material, a conductive material, an oxide-based lithium ion conductor, and a sulfide-based solid electrolyte. A cross section of the positive electrode layer satisfies a relational expression (1): 3%≤SB/SA≤30%. In the relational expression (1), “SA” represents a partial area of the oxide-based lithium ion conductor that is in contact with the positive electrode active material, and “SB” represents a partial area of the oxide-based lithium ion conductor that is surrounded by the sulfide-based solid electrolyte."

In the same patent, they mention a way to solve or mitigate the possible internal resistance increase associated with solid state batteries:

"For reducing interface resistance, use of a covering layer has been proposed. More specifically, a positive electrode active material (particles) is covered with an oxide-based Li ion conductor. Thus, a covering layer consisting of the oxide-based Li ion conductor is formed. The covering layer may reduce the number of contacts between the sulfide-based solid electrolyte and the positive electrode active material. As a result, the interface resistance may be reduced. The covering layer is also called a buffer layer or a reaction-reducing layer, for example."

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
It’s always interesting to me to see complete bullshit posted and how it spreads so quickly. Then when the actual facts come out no one cares and it isn’t posted nearly as quickly.

It’s like car people like being lied to lol...
Toyota recently published a patent for an all-solid-state battery:

"An all-solid-state battery includes a positive electrode layer, a solid electrolyte layer, and a negative electrode layer. The solid electrolyte layer separates the positive electrode layer from the negative electrode layer. The positive electrode layer includes a positive electrode active material, a conductive material, an oxide-based lithium ion conductor, and a sulfide-based solid electrolyte. A cross section of the positive electrode layer satisfies a relational expression (1): 3%≤SB/SA≤30%. In the relational expression (1), “SA” represents a partial area of the oxide-based lithium ion conductor that is in contact with the positive electrode active material, and “SB” represents a partial area of the oxide-based lithium ion conductor that is surrounded by the sulfide-based solid electrolyte."

In the same patent, they mention a way to solve or mitigate the possible internal resistance increase associated with solid state batteries:

"For reducing interface resistance, use of a covering layer has been proposed. More specifically, a positive electrode active material (particles) is covered with an oxide-based Li ion conductor. Thus, a covering layer consisting of the oxide-based Li ion conductor is formed. The covering layer may reduce the number of contacts between the sulfide-based solid electrolyte and the positive electrode active material. As a result, the interface resistance may be reduced. The covering layer is also called a buffer layer or a reaction-reducing layer, for example."
when it debuts, true game changer

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
In a 2019 conference at a poster session I talked to a Spanish-Japanese collab group sponsored by Toyota who were working on this exact buffer layer material. I won't name the compound and process used but back then they were able to improve interface impedance by 10x while maintaining 98% capacity at 0.1C for 500 cycles (the work was done 2016-2017 and published in 2018). And their process is scalable at production level not just in labs.

It looks like they made a lot of progress between now and then. However I still haven't seen anyone talk about performance over 1C. Every paper I read the tests are done at sub-1C. Therefore I am skeptical about commercialization before 2025.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
Now that you mentioned it, I did look into some patents for solid state cathodes/batteries production for vehicles… But I’m still not sure about my interpretation, if it’s for prototype production or for volume production…

Either way, it seems TMC is in an amazing path!

SSB’s, a truly amazing Fuel Cell system (IMO, they’re short selling what they’ve made) and some other info’s about controlling a compression self-ignition internal combustion engine (???).

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Any news on the horizon to expect? I imagine NX must reveal at some point soon.

We are halfway thru 2021 and I'm not impressed by this supposed lineup refresh, given we have heard effectively nothing of real substance.

It's going to be another month til we see the new NX, and any other reveals probably won't be until late Q3 or into Q4.

Then what, at least a few months until any of it hits dealerships?

It's going to be Q1, Q2 2022 by the time all their talk even starts to materialize in dealerships.

That's a brutal performance given the velocity of accouncements from other companies.

Mike and others in the loop, this can't really be how Lexus wants to deliver, is it? This pace doesn't inspire confidence.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

We are halfway thru 2021 and I'm not impressed by this supposed lineup refresh, given we have heard effectively nothing of real substance.

It's going to be another month til we see the new NX, and any other reveals probably won't be until late Q3 or into Q4.

It's going to be Q1, Q2 2022 by the time all their talk even starts to materialize in dealerships.

That's a brutal performance given the velocity of accouncements from other companies.

Mike and others in the loop, this can't really be how Lexus wants to deliver, is it? This pace doesn't inspire confidence.

they are breaking their sales records, launch timing is in line with their traditional new model launches. Weather it is 1 month sooner or later really does not matter.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Many companies are breaking records so far this year. We broke records in Q1. It's an outlier quarter. Taking long term strategy efficacy readthroughs from it is lunacy.

Also nice logic, I complain they're still doing the same old thing that left them with an outdated lineup and a 5 year dead period, and customers who largely only can point to service quality as why they buy a Lexus (as opposed to having compelling models), and your response is "it is fine, recent quarter sales were OK"

The decisions you make today aren't supposed to be about what just happened or is about to happen. It's supposed to be about positioning yourself for success in 5, 10, 15 years.

It is mind-boggling to me that people can't grasp this.

They are screwing up their attempt at changing how people think of them, and regardless of what people who don't know better think, it will be reflected in their economics, market share and share price relative to where they COULD be in the future.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions

I totally get your impatience. Trust me I wish for a LC F tomorrow lol. Just stay tuned and have your check books ready 🤣

I also can’t message you. Send me a message you have a RC F and would love you at a Lexus Racing event if possible.