ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Toyota said they're over with developing new diesel engines though... The top two engines above the V35A-FTS has to be a V8 or something else. It doesn't make any sense at all...
No more diesels after this one. The new V6 diesel is more or less confirmed by their patent applications and interview with chief of Toyota Australia. I don't think there will be a new I4 diesel after the recently refreshed 1GD since I think they will merge their diesel program with Skyactiv-D developed by Mazda.

Will1991

Reactions
No way current RX will live until 2023!

Current one was launched as a MY2016 and received a facelift for MY2019... Given how much the segment changed the last few years, I’m betting a 2021 release as a MY2022, a year after the 2NX.

It’s almost funny how a article starts with “New Toyota Motor North America CEO Ted Ogawa says he wants to change the product cadence and powertrain options at Lexus to boost the Japanese luxury brand.” and ends up stating a longer product life cycle...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
No way current RX will live until 2023!

Current one was launched as a MY2016 and received a facelift for MY2019... Given how much the segment changed the last few years, I’m betting a 2021 release as a MY2022, a year after the 2NX.

It’s almost funny how a article starts with “New Toyota Motor North America CEO Ted Ogawa says he wants to change the product cadence and powertrain options at Lexus to boost the Japanese luxury brand.” and ends up stating a longer product life cycle...

The NX came out in 2014 as a 2015MY, is now already 6 years old, and rumors point to a 2021 release as 2022MY. The RX would have to be after that, so my assumption is 2022 as 2023MY.

Never mind the LX going back to 2008MY with no word or spy shots of a replacement, and same for GX launching in 2009 as 2010MY.

Keep in mind the LS went 11 years without a full redesign too.

Anything is possible - this is Lexus we’re talking about. 😬

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Don't have time to post all of this:

Lots of F models coming next year, LF, good news fans.

V8tt is coming soon.

Reactions

V8tt is coming soon.

Wow. Will believe it when I see it but if this all turns out to be true it is fantastic news. Lexus is in dire need of getting a good dose of excitement injected, both to offer compelling alternatives to the sportier high-performance german models and for their brand image.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I hope it's true also. Although I have never for once believed the TTV8 was cancelled. That made zero sense to me considering the fact that every luxurious automaker have a form of V8.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

V8tt is coming soon.

While I hope a lot of this is true, there are a lot of red flags. NX still 2 years out? Carryover 5.7L V8 in LX when all other rumors indicate TT V6? No mention of IS 500 but rather IS F when there is no trademark?

Hmm...

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
LA auto show moved to May Next Year. I hope we still get some kind of evidence to back these rumour up from Lexus in November. Especially with the IS.

super51fan

Follower
Reactions
That's just how Japanese magazines speculate. They publish all possibilities of rumors so they are always right in the end, like shooting a target with a shotgun.
BestCar and Mag-X are two different magazines though, this is BestCar's first mention of the LC-F or TT V8 in a long time

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
BestCar and Mag-X are two different magazines though, this is BestCar's first mention of the LC-F or TT V8 in a long time
Works the same way. Mag-X writes a rumor, BestCar writes the opposite. Each has a 50% chance to be right.

Will1991

Reactions
Well, we can always get back to an official Lexus statement:

I don’t recall Toyota not achieving or not doing something they said officially, and they say:
“newly-developed V8 twin-turbo engine and peripheral new technologies”.

Given sales already are at least at 84% of ore-pandemic levels:

They no longer can say insufficient funds for R&D.

Maybe we need to give Lexus the benefit of the doubt?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's been an interesting few weeks with trademarks and model news. One of my theories on the state of Lexus has been that Akio needed to get Toyota together as his primary point of focus, and hopefully that momentum would later shift to Lexus for an overhaul.

I'm beginning to think an overhaul may be coming indeed. Following upcoming model changes, rumors and trademarks, it seems like we could have the following over just the next 3 years:
  • Refreshed UX
  • All-new NX: plugins, hybrids, turbo 4
  • All-new RX: probably same as above + 500h model
  • All-new TX model: Replacing RX-L (this is a HUGE opportunity for Lexus they have essentially just left for Acura and Infiniti)
  • All-new GX
  • All-new LX
  • All-new LF-1 production model
  • All-new RZ model: hypothetical midsize CUV coupe with electric powertrains
  • IS F/IS 500
  • Refreshed ES
  • New/heavy refreshed LS
Of course I am tempering expectations, but the above seems pretty realistic to me... which is also very exciting. 😯

mikeavelli

Reactions
It's been an interesting few weeks with trademarks and model news. One of my theories on the state of Lexus has been that Akio needed to get Toyota together as his primary point of focus, and hopefully that momentum would later shift to Lexus for an overhaul.

I'm beginning to think an overhaul may be coming indeed. Following upcoming model changes, rumors and trademarks, it seems like we could have the following over just the next 3 years:
  • Refreshed UX
  • All-new TX model: Replacing RX-L (this is a HUGE opportunity for Lexus they have essentially just left for Acura and Infiniti)
  • All-new GX
  • All-new LX
  • IS F/IS 500
  • Refreshed ES
  • New/heavy refreshed LS
Of course I am tempering expectations, but the above seems pretty realistic to me... which is also very exciting. 😯

25a.jpg

James

Founding Member
Reactions

• Refreshed UX
  • All-new GX
  • All-new LX
  • IS F/IS 500
  • Refreshed ES
  • New/heavy refreshed LS
Okay @Gecko these past idk 18-24 months any optimism I have had with Lexus you have completely ruined for me (you were right on all accounts btw!) to the point of me being pretty much pissed as hell at Lexus for pretty much anything and everything, are now saying that there is optimism of the above being pretty realistic in the next 3 years?? I honestly don't know what to say...I've pretty much avoided this site since I blew up on Lexus checking about 1x a week compared to the old days of every day, twice a day, and sometimes even more, because I would log on and just more and more mad that honestly for my health I just stopped really reading or posting to cool off. I know this question to you is something I'm sure you don't have a legit answer to but of the above how confident are you that it happens? Bc every good rumor from Lexus the last few years has been wrong and you were right.

Last question to you Gecko, is the TTV8 still dead? Bc honestly since I blew up on Lexus I have been researching outside Lexus more and more and if I get approval from the wife the X5 M seems to be a sick SUV to own and without a TTV8 Lexus has nothing anywhere close to it (even the X5 M50 they can't compete with!).

Okay Gecko the last person I thought who would bring me back after crushing all my dreams lol will Lexus do the above...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Okay @Gecko these past idk 18-24 months any optimism I have had with Lexus you have completely ruined for me (you were right on all accounts btw!) to the point of me being pretty much pissed as hell at Lexus for pretty much anything and everything, are now saying that there is optimism of the above being pretty realistic in the next 3 years?? I honestly don't know what to say...I've pretty much avoided this site since I blew up on Lexus checking about 1x a week compared to the old days of every day, twice a day, and sometimes even more, because I would log on and just more and more mad that honestly for my health I just stopped really reading or posting to cool off. I know this question to you is something I'm sure you don't have a legit answer to but of the above how confident are you that it happens? Bc every good rumor from Lexus the last few years has been wrong and you were right.

Last question to you Gecko, is the TTV8 still dead? Bc honestly since I blew up on Lexus I have been researching outside Lexus more and more and if I get approval from the wife the X5 M seems to be a sick SUV to own and without a TTV8 Lexus has nothing anywhere close to it (even the X5 M50 they can't compete with!).

Okay Gecko the last person I thought who would bring me back after crushing all my dreams lol will Lexus do the above...

Haha, as much as I may be the Lexus angel of death, I'm here to be optimistic and excited when it's warranted too 😂 !

I think everything about refreshed UX, new NX, new RX, TX, new GX, new LX, refreshed ES, updated/new LS is true. The ones I'm less sure of are the IS 500/IS F, RZ (because we don't know what it is for sure) and the LF-1. I didn't include any F products aside from the IS F because I think the F brand could very well be dead.

As for the V8... I'm torn, but don't have any insider scoop or anything. We've been hearing about Lexus developing a new TT V8 since 2007, so for them to kill the entire project at the last mile seems like a huge waste to me, especially since silky smooth V8s are part of Lexus' heritage. On the flip side, the world is definitely changing and it seems like 8cyl engines are going away. If there's no V8 planned for the Tundra or Toyota, Lexus would need a pretty wide use case to justify developing one: LS, LS F, LC, LC F, LX, LX F, LF-1, LF-1 F at least. I'm not sure I can see all of that happening, but time will tell. Coronavirus is a curve ball nobody saw coming, and things can be lost in translation (Japanese rumor mags), so I'm really 50/50 on the V8.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Haha, as much as I may be the Lexus angel of death, I'm here to be optimistic and excited when it's warranted too 😂 !

I think everything about refreshed UX, new NX, new RX, TX, new GX, new LX, refreshed ES, updated/new LS is true. The ones I'm less sure of are the IS 500/IS F, RZ (because we don't know what it is for sure) and the LF-1. I didn't include any F products aside from the IS F because I think the F brand could very well be dead.

As for the V8... I'm torn, but don't have any insider scoop or anything. We've been hearing about Lexus developing a new TT V8 since 2007, so for them to kill the entire project at the last mile seems like a huge waste to me, especially since silky smooth V8s are part of Lexus' heritage. On the flip side, the world is definitely changing and it seems like 8cyl engines are going away. If there's no V8 planned for the Tundra or Toyota, Lexus would need a pretty wide use case to justify developing one: LS, LS F, LC, LC F, LX, LX F, LF-1, LF-1 F at least. I'm not sure I can see all of that happening, but time will tell. Coronavirus is a curve ball nobody saw coming, and things can be lost in translation (Japanese rumor mags), so I'm really 50/50 on the V8.
Not to be all V8 here cause I know that's not "bread and butter" but I still find it hard to believe that Lexus won't make 1 of them. I mean so you don't go the full TTV8 of the RS line or M line with 600 HP but how do you not have at least have a 450-500 range to have the low 4s 0-60? I know V8s aren't the future but those still bring excitement to a brand to have. If your truly a luxury brand why would you want clients to go from the lower end models to have to leave when they make more money and want the more expensive cars? I would never knock anyone for buying an ES, NX, or anything like that but why is it so hard for Lexus to say we need to keep these clients if they want something a little faster or better. I hear the well people just love their Germans and would never come to Lexus for a fast car but has Lexus truly given them a reason to ever? They've never even done 1 second generation F model.

Interesting that we still haven't heard anything about LF-1 isn't it...I mean 4th quarter 2020 is here and isn't LF-1 coming in 2021? Didn't you say you talked to @Carmaker1 a few months ago as well about LX coming in 2021? I feel like we have to be hearing news something right? Next auto show is...?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not to be all V8 here cause I know that's not "bread and butter" but I still find it hard to believe that Lexus won't make 1 of them. I mean so you don't go the full TTV8 of the RS line or M line with 600 HP but how do you not have at least have a 450-500 range to have the low 4s 0-60? I know V8s aren't the future but those still bring excitement to a brand to have. If your truly a luxury brand why would you want clients to go from the lower end models to have to leave when they make more money and want the more expensive cars? I would never knock anyone for buying an ES, NX, or anything like that but why is it so hard for Lexus to say we need to keep these clients if they want something a little faster or better. I hear the well people just love their Germans and would never come to Lexus for a fast car but has Lexus truly given them a reason to ever? They've never even done 1 second generation F model.

Interesting that we still haven't heard anything about LF-1 isn't it...I mean 4th quarter 2020 is here and isn't LF-1 coming in 2021? Didn't you say you talked to @Carmaker1 a few months ago as well about LX coming in 2021? I feel like we have to be hearing news something right? Next auto show is...?

Something interesting that goes to your point: most of the people I know who bought RC Fs, GS Fs or IS Fs didn't buy them because of "F"... almost all of them just wanted a Lexus product with a little more performance. That's it. Not to mod, drag race or collect - just an every day car with a little bite.

The bar for Lexus performance products has been set so low, and they have a built-in audience who wants something outside of their core vanilla product set. They just have to build it... and know how to market it.