3RZ

Reactions
Question: Since when did Toyota's stance on this https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BBAB&usg=AOvVaw2QQgs-ghPdamcar0BenhzT&ampcf=1 change? I am still convinced that NA V6s and V8s are coming.

Also, if Toyota is adapting the Dynamic Force tech to V6 and V8 applications, why doesn't the 2020 Highlander have one as an option? Why keep the 2GR-FKS? Delays in development? Maybe it will be an option later?

I dont think it has changed. The GR series that has long powered many Toyota cars and suvs should start getting phased out next year with the debut of the new IS and its rumored 2.4 turbo DF engine. (A25A-FTS)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
NEW 1.5 HYBRID DYNAMIC FORCE– MORE RESPONSIVE AND MORE EFFICIENT
  • All-new 1.5 Hybrid Dynamic Force system
  • More responsive with a 15% increase in combined power and a more than 20% increase in fuel efficiency
  • 4th generation hybrid technology optimised for weight, package and efficiency
  • Includes new 1.5 Dynamic Force petrol engine with 40% thermal efficiency
Toyota’s recognised leadership in self-charging hybrid technology is built on more than 20 years’ experience. With billions of kilometres of driving experience around the world, Toyota hybrids have also proved their outstanding quality, durability and reliability. It is estimated that Toyota hybrid vehicles collectively drive over 500 million kilometres around the world every day.
Since the introduction of the first Prius back in 1997, Toyota Motor Corporation has sold more than 14 million hybrid vehicles worldwide – including 2.5 million in Europe – constantly improving the technology and introducing new models across a wide range of market segments. The Yaris Hybrid, the world’s first full hybrid B-segment model, was introduced in 2012, since when more than 500,000 have been sold in Europe, establishing it as a key product in creating wider public awareness and appreciation of the benefits of Toyota’s hybrid technology.
The 4th generation Hybrid system has been tested in different cities around Europe such as Rome, Paris, and Darmstadt. Results show that when it is used in an urban area, almost 80% of the time is been driving in Zero Emission Vehicle.

Interesting part here is 80% of city drive being in EV mode, means a lot better regen than before - I think for Prius and Corolla this was quoted around 55% or so.

They expect 80% of sales in Western Europe to be Hybrids, there will be 1KR and M15A 1.5 3cly version with direct shift CVT.
Was 1.5l M15A shown before? Maybe in China?

Also there will be e-awd version for some markets, first for Yaris.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Was 1.5l M15A shown before? Maybe in China?
Not to my knowledge. I think that M15A debuts alongside the TNGA-B 4th-gen Yaris.

With M15A being a 3-cylinder, 1.5-liter engine of the same family as the 2-liter 4-cylinder M20A (used in North America's Corolla Hatchback and upper-level Corolla sedans, plus Lexus UX 200), I strongly suspect that both engines share the same bore x stroke dimensions. If so, Toyota would be the latest carmaker to hop aboard the "modular cylinder" engine bandwagon. This trend is best exemplified by BMW, but other carmakers that have used or currently used this include Volvo, Mercedes-Benz and Jaguar Land Rover, off the top of my head.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I've always believed this, as that will be a December 2020 launch.

It makes sense, and would also explain Toyota trademarking "Harrier" for the US as a temporary placeholder, since it's the same product.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I strongly suspect that both engines share the same bore x stroke dimensions. If so, Toyota would be the latest carmaker to hop aboard the "modular cylinder" engine bandwagon.

Yes it is. The engine dimensions, power output, and torque values were shared in this thread a while ago. You even commented on that!

From Toyota Europe's press release it seems that the 1.5L THS-II will have lower output (15% higher than 74kW on current-gen Yaris = 85kW/114hp) than the 1.5L gasoline engine (87kW/117hp). Unless the 1.5L THS-II uses the 1.8L THS-II 's rating system (wheel hp instead of crank hp) this will be the only Dynamic Force hybrid system with a lower output than the gasoline-only counterpart.

Last edited:

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I wonder how's the torque curve like with this M15A, hopefully it's nice and flat so that it always feel energetic and doesn't feel lethargic.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Sorry for the double post but I must point out that my theory of a possibility of it being a hybrid is inaccurate because there is no h suffix at the end. That being said a new LX 500d is coming for select markets, as per another trademark filing on October 10th in Moldova by Toyota.

This is definitely a V8 twin-turbo, maybe for 4.0 to 4.5 litres.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The image shows the use of D-4D instead of D-4S (to save cost). The missing port injectors may account for some of the lost specific power and efficiency compared to 4-cylinder variants? I wonder how it suppresses carbon build-up without the self-cleaning function.

I wonder how's the torque curve like with this M15A, hopefully it's nice and flat so that it always feel energetic and doesn't feel lethargic.

See Shizhi's picture. 30% more torque than the 1.3L 1NR-FKE it replaces. But that's a puny little engine so the comparison is not very fair.

EDIT: I just checked the 1NR-FKE's torque curve and it produces 105N.m at 2,000rpm and 110N.m at 2600rpm. Multiply that by 30% and you get 137N.m@2,000 and 143N.m@2600. So it may have more torque at 2,000 rpm than the last-gen 1.5L at its peak (136N.m at 4,400).

Last edited:

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
@flexus : Do you have a link to the source article for those images? I'm very curious to see if it contains more information (timing of launch, architecture, etc.) about those vehicles.
It's on Bestcar but they already launched. Here is the launch article

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
It's on Bestcar but they already launched. Here is the launch article
BestCarWeb is such a pain with their ever-shifting links to articles! I finally located the article in question. Here are links to the original and Google-translated versions. A worthwhile read, as it covers quite a bit of ground. Here's my summary and commentary:

Toyota Rise / Daihatsu Rocky
2017TMS-hirano-0181-600x400.jpg

According to BestCarWeb, this one's quite far along, with talk of late September 2019 dealer test drives, Toyota Rise order books having opened on October 1, 10,000 order on hand and official release on 5 November 2019. But why wasn't it at the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show? I'm becoming more and more convinced that this will be the second TNGA-B product, the Yaris-derived crossover that will also be eventually be built in Valenciennes, France.

Toyota Tj Cruiser
b2faf9a379014772aa2bc5bfe9603e3f1-600x347.jpg

The production version of this crossover/minivan mashup concept from the 2017 Tokyo Motor show is expected to go on sale in May 2020. With the concept's 2750mm wheelbase, it could go either way as far as being a long TNGA-C or short TNGA-K platform vehicle, although talk of 2.5-liter gas-only and hybrid powertrains points to the latter. Also unclear is whether this will be a niche JDM-only offering or if it will be exported to major markets.

Toyota Harrier
066ef2f272f5e45407a06a946ca685bd-600x377.jpg

See commentary in our separate Garage "Venza revival" thread, which also touches upon Harrier.

Toyota Land Cruiser 300
4ce3e9b07769b3250e85d1ffb44a26f911-600x367.jpg

See commentary in our separate Garage 300-Series Land Cruiser thread.