meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
With BMW now debuting the 8 series gran coupe, I can only wish that Lexus made the GS a 4 door coupe. This is still an exploding segment and does wonders for having a hip image.

I can only imagine something like a 4 door LC..... makes me drool....
so which one? GS Coupe or 4-door LC? They would be the same size so it makes no sense to have both.

I personally think a GS Coupe with LC inspired visuals yet still visually distinct from the LC would be better. In my opinion, the LC would look awkward when longer.

Reactions: RAL

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
But honestly, the 4 doors LC as next gen GS will be much more better marketing wise and also for brand recognition

Regarding the awkwardness that can be found in 4 doors LC I think if valid we won't see a complete rip-off maybe the front and mid front and from the rear will take it from MK3 GS a small hatchback trunk

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
Anyone else see the new Toyota Mirai "Concept"?
I think it looks great, and this is what I was hoping the roofline of the next GS would look like. It's also a few inches longer and wider than the current GS, which is perfect because the GS does need to size up a teeny bit. 3473

mikeavelli

Reactions
Anyone else see the new Toyota Mirai "Concept"?
I think it looks great, and this is what I was hoping the roofline of the next GS would look like. It's also a few inches longer and wider than the current GS, which is perfect because the GS does need to size up a teeny bit. View attachment 3473
View attachment 3474

My phone has been non stop buzzing about "HEY MIKE WHY ISN"T THIS THE GS, WHERE IS THE GS, HOW IS TOYOTA GETTING THIS" thus I'm on my third glass of Bourbon...

It is gorgeous for the most part inside and out. It is LS based. Around 60k. RWD. 12.3" screen. It is a Toyota, not a Lexus. Going to get 30% better MPG than the current 60 eMPG rating....

About to get my 4th glass and maybe get on the waiting list for this thing...

Honestly I am so confused right now. I can only hope there is some GS version otw which would bring smiles to all our faces......

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Hopefully the development costs are reduced further by spreading them across more vehicles (which is the whole point of TNGA)...which will help justify the case of the new GS?
EDIT: Now that I think about it, could this be Toyota salvaging what they developed from the cancelled 300B project as to not waste their resources? It seems like all signs point to it, especially how Lexus-like the Mirai feels...

Last edited:
Reactions
Hmmm.....I sat in the new LS and it struck me that the floor seemed high, meaning the floor to roof was less than I expected. This could be expected if they planned for a ”skateboard“ floor to have a future install of batteries or maybe a something to do with a fuel cell. Anybody else notice that?

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
Just another thought, I think the greatest irony here is that Toyota was willing to develop their midsize RWD platform for the Mirai, a car that has significantly less sales than the GS. I understand that this is supposed to elevate the brand and bring awareness to its technology, but a new GS seems like a no brainer to me compared to this. The GS is simply on the short end of the stick; I don't understand why they didn't green light the next generation GS when they approved of this...

Maybe there is hope for a new GS, as Toyota seems committed to using this platform...

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
The interior is pure Lexus
Honestly I will be more than happy if they will start using the FR in Toyota , that means they will continue using it always and maybe, just maybe my fancy dreams comes true and find lexus as well as Toyota have mostly FR than FF

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Unfortunately this is why I got mine almost two years ago. I always loved the GS and was afraid it was going to be gone next generation. Sad but the writing seems to have been on the wall for a long time now.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I guess I'll just state it explicitly: Mirai is what the 5th gen GS project became.

So, this is your 5th gen GS. There isn't a "Lexus version" planned.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
I hope my emoji doesn't hurt your post, but this explains my frustration with product planners at Lexus and likely executive management. Anything not an easy to develop FWD vehicle or Akio's sports car vision, is backburnered or cancelled. Hell, where are the all wheel drive GA-K sedans? They definitely have to be coming as I don't see what would prevent them.

He couldn't cancel the LS because it is the flagship and starter of the brand. I don't see how this benefits them with the lower volume Mirai, using a Lexus. All of a sudden, this March 2016 rendering makes sense. This was the final design for the next gen GS and possibly an early look at future Lexus models. I wonder if the LS+ used this design because the GS would no longer have it? Argh!!
17-10-26-lexus-gs-f-rendering.jpg
lexus-ls-concept-2017-tokyo-motor-show_100629246_h.jpg
slide-1-of-12-2021-toyota-mirai-concept__780693_.jpg

What gets me, is that this rendering was done in the early months of 2016 when no one had a lick of an idea what was going on, except those with likely Lexus leaking out details of the Next Generation design.

It was so easy for anyone else to write off this rendering as nothing, but my information came from the same source as the Camry rendering, which was very accurate (outside of T-shaped upper grille). The same artist responsible for this Kodansha rendering in December 2015, saw Camry clay buck itself or CAD drawing for sure. Meaning the GS-F rendering was accurate and we just will never see it.

December 2015 XV70 Hybrid Rendering 2017toka-001.jpg
Actual XV70 Camry
camry-Thermalyte.pngmaxresdefault.jpg
a613144b97c3c065dbe351c1c0071504.jpgoriginal.jpg

They have spent the last 36 months reworking this car into the Mirai. I am so disappointed in this brand for the first time ever, not just annoyed, because their failure to execute the GS facelift properly is what resulted in abysmal 2016 sales.

The decision in the fall of 2016 to indefinitely halt the GS program, after they had already settled on a final design, judging by the date of launch targeted and some supplier information (JDM) was definitely influenced a large degree by active sales performance.

By October 2016, the 240/241B 2019 ES design was frozen and already being shown to Lexus personnel. The idea was to elevate the ES but I don't think it was ever engineered to replace the GS. Anything development wise post late 2016 for the ES, only marginally could have countered Lexus 300B cancellation.

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

So you're telling me, for a moment, that rendering above was the GS-F we could have expected?
😍😫😖😭

EDIT: I guess Lexus' approach to their product lineup makes a bit more sense ("we had to cancel the GS but hey, we may rebadge private jets after we JV'd this yacht!") if you assume it's centered around "whatever Akio wants to have around, and the beancounters can optimize the rest to help fund it".

Aka, I need a yacht, I don't want to buy someone else's yacht, it should be a Lexus. I need a private jet, i don't want to buy someone else's private jet, Lexus should have one. I want a beautiful sports car, i don't want to buy someone else's. I want a convertible too! Long term commercial argument would be "we need to create a real luxury lifestyle brand, and we are going to become a mobility company as opposed to a car company, so we can justify it."

To some extent it gives us stuff like the LC, the LC convertible, the LY 650, and whatever else, but at the same time you're not really doing a good job of targeting "aspirational buyers" and guiding them up through your product range as they progress through life if your entry level and mid-range offerings aren't competitive or have their own respective "sub-halo halo" offerings, and the stuff that's really compelling is completely out of reach.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
They have spent the last 36 months reworking this car into the Mirai. I am so disappointed in this brand for the first time ever, not just annoyed, because their failure to execute the GS facelift properly is what resulted in abysmal 2016 sales.

I have been questioning Lexus decision-making for some time now, but mostly in their lackadaisical product releases and focusing on lifestyle without the product necessary to sustain consumer interest.

Like you, the Mirai2 is the first time I've actually been disappointed in Lexus/Toyota. I can't believe they took the next-gen GS and turned into a low-volume Toyota with an advanced high-tech powertrain.