maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Yeah for me I tried the hybrid once in the previous GS450h and honestly not before 2030 when I buy another hybrid not even electric as I am very skeptical on BEV and more to FCEV

Reactions
Yeah for me I tried the hybrid once in the previous GS450h and honestly not before 2030 when I buy another hybrid not even electric as I am very skeptical on BEV and more to FCEV

I don't think any of the 1st generation BEV's with conventional Lion batteries from any manufacturer - will be that good.
Limited range, takes long to charge, limited cycles, and very heavy weight penalizes agility - the speed of change in direction, because mass and agility are inversely proportional.

I would rather wait for the 2nd generation of BEVs and their solid state batteries, with longer range, more long term recharge cycles, faster recharge time, and smaller size & lighter weight for superior dynamics.

It's like buying a Nikon D1 digital in the late 1990's for $15k body only; very expensive, yet well behind today's digital cameras.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Correct. That's why almost all (non-fleet) BEVs are bought as the second or third car of the family. Not counting on a BEV for mobility is a logical thing to do.

On the other hand, people don't always make reasonable decisions. That's why we see a big diversity of cars on the road, instead of everyone in a RAV4/CR-V Hybrid.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Rav4 itself has a heritage as Lexus, a huge percentage from those ute lovers still remembering the first generation and thank Toyota for it being the first non ladder non BOF SUV.
This is amazing selling point Toyota needs not to mess with

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
The GS has no connection to the S220, likely because the S220 Crown is on a different variation of TNGA, called N. The LS and LC versions are called GA-L, with no TN prefix in the acronym.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The GS has no connection to the S220, likely because the S220 Crown is on a different variation of TNGA, called N. The LS and LC versions are called GA-L, with no TN prefix in the acronym.

I wonder if Crown is a refresh of the old platform?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I wonder if Crown is a refresh of the old platform?

Maybe not, as the Camry introduced TNGA-K. The 2001 Highlander introduced the K Platform in January 2001 and the 2002 Camry, the sedan version of K in July 2001 and is only being phased out, ending with the redesign of the RX (5RX) and 500N Sienna in 2020.

Although the name is similar regarding suffixes, they are not the same. K is different from TNGA-K and GA-K.

The Century seems to have an unknown platform, as nothing shows it to be GA-L nor anything much of New N.

I assume you are basing this on your professional take on industry ;) and the ever important economies of scale. You see it as, it doesn't make sense to make a distinct variation of TNGA for the Crown.

Last edited:

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The Century seems to have an unknown platform, as nothing shows it to be GA-L nor anything much of New N.
@Carmaker1 : Didn't you once state (likely on the Toyota Century thread on these forums) that the 3rd-gen Century was essentially a rebodied Lexus 4LS 600hL? The wheelbases are a very close match, not to mention the shared powertrains. If that's the case, Century3 sits on the 4LS's "old N" platform. It's noteworthy that the Century3's official news releases don't say a word about TNGA or which platform/architecture it sits on.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Guys Guys
The GA-L is 100% the TNGA-N
Maybe the different naming is just because of the different brand
+
TNGA is not only regarding the Wheelbase

Reactions
I feel they do have a business case for the new GS if they want to finally inject some R&D cash into it and not gimp on it because of brain-dead bean counters.

From what I feel, if they were to fire back up and give it a redo, NONE of the technology and performance characteristics should ever reach the ES and will remain to everything else in the lineup except for the ES and RX (unless they bother to change their architecture and move EVERYTHING upmarket). This way anything that is not the ES and RX are unique. As of now, it would be no solid turbo 4-cylinder engine, no Twin-Turbocharged V6, no new Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD system, no F model, no BESPOKE interior, no better hybrid offerings and that multistage hybrid transmission (not to mention the new automatic that's in the LS and LC) for the ES and RX. That's the only way I can see our boys and girls from Japan to inject life into the GS project.

Now if I hear a rebuttal and say "they will do that anyways", my answer to that is no. There would be no other viable choice for them to do that unless they revamp everything FWD based to RWD. I have said it before, and I have said it now. There is only so much fundamentally that these FWD platforms that underpin the ES, NX, and RX can handle. Unless they go for an Audi solution but then that messes up their entire lineup. It's quite an easy solution and they are able to have a linear lineup. But hey who am I, it seems like retarded bean counters are against the voice of common sense and reason.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'm curious - what about that article is giving either of you hope? The most encouraging part it is the title, and it's misleading in the context of the actual content.

Last quote: When pressed further regarding a GS successor, Christ made it pretty clear he wasn’t ready to talk about that: "We’ll be making the appropriate announcements at later and undecided date.”

The appropriate forthcoming announcement will be: "We're adding AWD to the ES, and given market conditions, will be going forward with a 'one midsize sedan' strategy."

And trust me - I hate that more than anyone.

The article is clickbait.

RAL

Reactions
yes/no ... yes/no ... yes/no ... who knows ...

David Christ's comments certainly leave wiggle room. He may just be putting words to what we already know. The GS is not dead yet, just on life-support. The question remains: will they pull the plug? ... maybe yes, maybe no.

Mr. Christ said:
"On GS, although it is a little older, it achieved our plan for the year and it seems to be holding up well considering its age,” Christ said. "It fits really well with our lineup and we continue to invest in it and keep it. We feel it’s an important part of our lineup and it continues to meet our expectations.”

Is this double-talk? "It fits really well with our lineup ... we continue to invest in and keep it ..."

Who knows ... :no_mouth:

LexiF

Fan
Reactions
The GS won’t be returning as we know it...We all knew this right? Every manufacturer doesn’t have 2 large executive saloons side by side competing for customers but instead follow Merc’s strategy which is turning out to work pretty well. Look to their line up and see where she will be competing. Facts are facts and as we all know the ES out sells the GS ten fold and so something had to give, I loved the GSF and really upset it’s gone but the DNA still remains to be forged into something totally new for Lexus.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
The GS won’t be returning as we know it...We all knew this right? Every manufacturer doesn’t have 2 large executive saloons side by side competing for customers but instead follow Merc’s strategy which is turning out to work pretty well. Look to their line up and see where she will be competing. Facts are facts and as we all know the ES out sells the GS ten fold and so something had to give, I loved the GSF and really upset it’s gone but the DNA still remains to be forged into something totally new for Lexus.
That’s some of the reason I paid extra to get the GS. I was worried it would be gone soon and I’d never be able to get it. I really have no idea what I’m going to do for my next car. Hopefully the next IS is bigger and better or I start making more money for the LS! GSF is still amazing but agree as long as DNA stays I’m happy!