Status
Not open for further replies.

Will1991

Reactions
According to Kirk Kreifels (YouTube video) it's 100% certain we will have a brand new IS for fall 2020 as a MY2021, and it's going to grow in size!

So, for 2020 we will have a brand new IS and CT (maybe?) perhaps as a preparation for 2021 emissions regulations.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
According to Kirk Kreifels (YouTube video) it's 100% certain we will have a brand new IS for fall 2020 as a MY2021, and it's going to grow in size!

So, for 2020 we will have a brand new IS and CT (maybe?) perhaps as a preparation for 2021 emissions regulations.

Link to said video? If it comes with only 2.4L inline 4, I'd rather have the older 2GR-FKS. I'm done with 4 banger engines.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
^ Thanks, now Lexus needs to get that twin turbo V6 mid-range competitor going. I've said this ad nauseum, but there are (or will be) seven competitors (that I know of / care about):
  1. M340i - turbo I6, 382hp / 369lb-ft
  2. S4 - turbo V6, 349hp / 369lb-ft
  3. C43 - turbo V6, 385hp / 384lb-ft
  4. Q50 Red Sport - turbo V6, 400hp / 350lb-ft
  5. G70 - turbo V6, 365hp / 376lb-ft
  6. CT5-V - turbo V6, 355hp / 400lb-ft
  7. TLX Type-S - (highly likely) turbo V6, ??? / ???
How would 2.4T even begin to compete against the above?

Reactions
The 21 IS will have 3 engine options: a 2.5 liter hybrid, a 2.5 liter turbo and a 3.5 liter v6. The v6 will b only available on FSPORT
21 IS-F is a possibility but not confirmed within Lexus. Lexus US is having conversations with Lexus Japan on bringing back the IS-F but unfortunately if they do, it will be the same 5.0 liter currently in RC-F, GS-F and LC.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
^ Thanks, now Lexus needs to get that twin turbo V6 mid-range competitor going. I've said this ad nauseum, but there are (or will be) seven competitors (that I know of / care about):
  1. M340i - turbo I6, 382hp / 369lb-ft
  2. S4 - turbo V6, 349hp / 369lb-ft
  3. C43 - turbo V6, 385hp / 384lb-ft
  4. Q50 Red Sport - turbo V6, 400hp / 350lb-ft
  5. G70 - turbo V6, 365hp / 376lb-ft
  6. CT5-V - turbo V6, 355hp / 400lb-ft
  7. TLX Type-S - (highly likely) turbo V6, ??? / ???
How would 2.4T even begin to compete against the above?

I wonder how those (including base models) rank in terms of overall reliability (also total cost of ownership) and value proposition for those who aren't millionaires yet.

I think Audi requires teknik? (Top trim) to get ACC for $1500 for the A4 here in Canada. Not sure if that is still the case.

Reactions: GNS

GNS

Follower
Reactions
I wonder how those (including base models) rank in terms of overall reliability (also total cost of ownership) and value proposition for those who aren't millionaires yet.

I agree with you, I'm in no way suggesting that I would run out there and buy any of those (except maybe the TLX Type-S, since that is Honda engineering). All the Germans are lease only, Infiniti has a bunch of Renault parts under the hood, the Cadillac is not my thing, and the G70 is still too new to tell (and Genesis is a circus show right now).

I mean, I'm not ruling out the G70 completely, but I'd like to give it more time to bake a little bit. I'm just hoping that the presence of these competitors is lighting a fire under Lexus to step up.

I think Audi requires teknik? (Top trim) to get ACC for $1500 for the A4 here in Canada. Not sure if that is still the case.

The options list on the Germans is really quite something else. I specced out a C43 with a different set of wheels or something, and it added on a $5800 package full of crap I don't even want lol.

larryren

Follower
Reactions
It seem Motor1 find the test vehicle of new IS. But they's news page say it LS fuel cell version. And I don't know it can post a link of Motor1's page to here?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I agree with you, I'm in no way suggesting that I would run out there and buy any of those (except maybe the TLX Type-S, since that is Honda engineering). All the Germans are lease only, Infiniti has a bunch of Renault parts under the hood, the Cadillac is not my thing, and the G70 is still too new to tell (and Genesis is a circus show right now).

I mean, I'm not ruling out the G70 completely, but I'd like to give it more time to bake a little bit. I'm just hoping that the presence of these competitors is lighting a fire under Lexus to step up.

The options list on the Germans is really quite something else. I specced out a C43 with a different set of wheels or something, and it added on a $5800 package full of crap I don't even want lol.

I looked at the base UX250H here in Canada and it has almost everything I want (LSS+2.0, auto dimming rearview mirror, heated steering wheel and front seats, LED lights, etc.), except for driver memory settings (which I can live without to save $9k FSport Series 2) and the power liftgate but having driven a Ford Mondeo station wagon for two weeks in Europe, it's really not such an inconvenience not to have a power liftgate, especially for me who rarely does the grocery shopping haha.

The pentagonal grill of Acura is slowly growing on me but I prefer the simpler horizontal line design on the non F Sport Lexus'es (if those simple lines were to carry over to Acura which I doubt). I may opt for an Acura TLX hybrid? if the next gen IS hybrid doesn't come to Canada. I still want a pure AWD BEV though and I think Lexus will come out with a few models much sooner than Honda.

I'm definitely not a car enthusiast which is why I am leading towards Lexus/Acura haha. I just want good handling and fuel economy and some creature comforts especially ACC but have to please the women in my household so Lexus most likely it is. Still have my 02 Civic MT and 11 Accord coupe and the 16 RAV4H is ho hum but so far has been bullet-proof.

Although I admire these upper trim models with 6-cylinder engines, I would rather wait for a BEV with the same power output, haha.

Last edited:

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
If Toyota were to announce a 4IS BEV for release before 2024 that included a class-topping driving range with solid state battery, (for as long as my ICEVs are running) I will likely stop reading articles on greencarreport, insideevs, electrive, green car congress, etc. and also stop looking at C/D, Motor1, Motortrend, etc. for upcoming new cars. :)

mikeavelli

Reactions
Is there still literally nothing else we know about the 4IS even in Sept 2019? Will there be a 2020 IS as the last model year of the 3IS? This wait (and lack of new info) is killing me.

It has been pretty tight lipped....

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
One likely thing to happen is for Toyota to adopt its (wardauto) award winning UX/infotainment in the RX to the 4IS and other models. Rather than getting criticized mainly for the current infotainment systems, at least, critics can focus on other elements of design or car features.

Just imagine planned obsolescence disappearing with CA/AA compatibility and future-proofing with next gen battery technology in the 4IS.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Daimler halted development of all future ICEs and will only focus on electric power. No more update to future Mercedes engines. They realized they are woefully underprepared for the electric revolution. Unfortunately for them switching to full electric right now is a path to disaster and a competitive hybrid needs a super efficient ICE which they don't have.

The hard truth is that TM3 is eating mid-size sedans for breakfast and the IS will be DOA if it doesn't launch with a competitive full-electric model.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Looks like the 2020 IS is showing on Lexus.com. Anybody with info on what's different between 2019 and 2020? The info on the website is so curated and controlled that it's really hard to tell what changed. I know the powertrain is still the same though.

Will1991

Reactions
Daimler halted development of all future ICEs and will only focus on electric power. No more update to future Mercedes engines. They realized they are woefully underprepared for the electric revolution. Unfortunately for them switching to full electric right now is a path to disaster and a competitive hybrid needs a super efficient ICE which they don't have.

The hard truth is that TM3 is eating mid-size sedans for breakfast and the IS will be DOA if it doesn't launch with a competitive full-electric model.

We’ve got to give it to Elon, he really managed to put an entire industry in hyperdrive to BEV’s!

Maybe before Tesla a hydrogen car would make much more sense than now with the current state of battery development, but it’s still very good for us (the costumers) to have all of this choice and different technologies pushing one for the other.

Looks like the 2020 IS is showing on Lexus.com. Anybody with info on what's different between 2019 and 2020? The info on the website is so curated and controlled that it's really hard to tell what changed. I know the powertrain is still the same though.

So, only for MY2021 a new IS in the best case cenario?

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
^ I think so.

The problem I see is Toyota is bent on using the E-TNGA platform for the upcoming 10 electric cars (6 global models and 4 likely for China) by 2025 but the newer Lexus vehicles will be on the TNGA-L so now I'm kinda doubting that the 4IS will come in a BEV variant unless the holy grail of BEV -- battery technology -- makes leaps and bounds before 2025, permitting vehicles on the TNGA-L platform to be customized as BEVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.