Status
Not open for further replies.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
So... debut in 2020 as a 2021, then the F Sport coming a year later in 2022? I know it's all rumors at this point, but if the regular IS lineup is all 4cylinder, be it 2.0T, 2.4T or 2.5L hybrid, then I wonder if there is some validity in the rumor of an F Sport car having a bigger engine option, similar to A4/S4 and C300/C43 AMG?

It's hard to even plot out what the lineup or engines could look like without some idea of what we should expect from the rumored 2.4L I4. Single turbo? twin turbo?

I could see an "IS 300" base car with 2.0T single turbo, and then an "IS 400" with the 2.4L twin turbo as an upmarket option... or I could just see one engine option for USA being 2.4L single turbo with something like 285 hp.

It would be cool to see them do an IS 500 F Sport with V35A-FTS as well as a V8 IS F, but I am not sure Lexus is really investing or trying to do "more" with any of their sedans for the foreseeable future.

in the case of IS, I can see 2.0t, 2.4t and V6tt options, as well as IS300h.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Next-Generation Lexus IS Sedan to be Offered with BMW Inline-6 Engine?

19-02-18-lexus-is-sedan-next-generation.jpg

Wild rumors out of Japan.
View the original article post

James

Founding Member
Reactions
I would prefer a Lexus engine but hell don’t care that much. Make a quicker top IS that’s below the F that can be AWD for us northern climaters so we can get it and not worry as much. In the high 4s would be a great 0-60

zeusus

Follower
Reactions
I don't know, one would think Lexus would learn from getting shat on all over the internet for the Supra. BMW essentially stole the show and came out looking like the winner on the release of the Supra.

Now Toyota/Lexus wants to do it again? Im sure they see some sort of financial gain that outweighs street cred.

Btw, this is a great rendering.

Last edited:

GNS

Follower
Reactions
I would prefer a Lexus engine but hell don’t care that much. Make a quicker top IS that’s below the F that can be AWD for us northern climaters so we can get it and not worry as much. In the high 4s would be a great 0-60

Basically an M340i competitor, except without that horrid grille that looks like someone puked up Cheerios all over it, and without the notorious unreliability.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I could see an "IS 300" base car with 2.0T single turbo, and then an "IS 400" with the 2.4L twin turbo as an upmarket option... or I could just see one engine option for USA being 2.4L single turbo with something like 285 hp.

Why would anyone develop a twin turbo Inline-4? Single turbo is perfectly fine to get over 150hp/L.

Another thing: A25A-FKS has received a fair amount of flak for being rough and unrefined in both Rav4 and Camry. If they are going to move this engine into the Lexus lineup in some way, I hope there are plans to make it more refined.

I don't see how it's rough and unrefined in the Camry. Maybe in the RAV4 true since they cheaped out on dampening in the engine bay. The NVH of this engine won't make itself noticeable unless you hammer it all the time.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Honestly I keep silent regarding that crazy news

If they want to squeeze the BMW i6 TT engine to other models, why not started with the more anticipated next generation Mark-X as we know that the Mark is always the Supra 4 doors !

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Honestly I keep silent regarding that crazy news

If they want to squeeze the BMW i6 TT engine to other models, why not started with the more anticipated next generation Mark-X as we know that the Mark is always the Supra 4 doors !
Yes bestcarweb says in that article that there is a chance that it will be put in Mark-X GR top sport sedan of Toyota. There have been talk in Japanese media about discontinuation of Mark-X in favour of Lexus. Makes sense because Crown RS is top sport model right now.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Yes bestcarweb says in that article that there is a chance that it will be put in Mark-X GR top sport sedan of Toyota. There have been talk in Japanese media about discontinuation of Mark-X in favour of Lexus. Makes sense because Crown RS is top sport model right now.

Did the article you link say model year 2021 for the next gen IS, or did it say calendar year? Waiting until 2021 calendar year seems like an awful long time for the 4IS.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Did the article you link say model year 2021 for the next gen IS, or did it say calendar year? Waiting until 2021 calendar year seems like an awful long time for the 4IS.
気になるデビューは、次期型ISが2021年春で、直6搭載モデルはその1年後の2022年となりそうだ。
Long awaited debut of the next-gen IS is due in spring of 2021 and the inline 6 model is likely to be unveiled year after in 2022.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Next-gen IS could see 6000 per month sales in Japan. It was very popular model but overshadowed by Crown and newer German models. It really needs an upgrade as it is size wise best sedan for Japan. Camry and ES are just too big. Back in the 00's and 90's when Toyota released Altezza it was Car of the Year same with IS when brought to JDM in 2005. If Toyota makes IS under 1600kg and powerful hybrid motor it will sell like cakes.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

So , something not accurate in the talking regarding a lot of points

1) Mark-X on/off is still there
2) IS 4.7 m is good tall little than Mark-X but more than current IS
3) if there's Mark-X will they squeeze the use of the BMW i6 amount 3 cars between Toyota and Lexus
4) what's the destiny of the V6TT in the next IS, with the current output it can't be next IS-F but also there's the i6TT
5) this newly discovered 2.4 will it be a TT version of the 2.5 i4 in current Camry & RAV4 or completely new
6) where's the other hybrid, we all know that lexus new strategy as well as Toyota is to have 2 different hybrids in every car one as economic and the other as sporty , so where's the other hybrid in the next IS and what's its specs

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Hopefully that base hybrid does come with AWD but still RWD-biased. If the base Lexus UX250H in Canada comes with heated/ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot monitor, auto dimming rear view mirror and TSS 2.0, I'm sure the next IS will have the TSS 2.0 full range DRCC too.

I am okay with 85-90% of German rival performance (I'd even take 80%) but at half (or even less) the total cost of ownership.

The Toyota/Lexus hybrid's beltness design is a bonus because there are less mechanical components to break down.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
So , something not accurate in the talking regarding a lot of points

1) Mark-X on/off is still there
2) IS 4.7 m is good tall little than Mark-X but more than current IS
3) if there's Mark-X will they squeeze the use of the BMW i6 amount 3 cars between Toyota and Lexus
4) what's the destiny of the V6TT in the next IS, with the current output it can't be next IS-F but also there's the i6TT
5) this newly discovered 2.4 will it be a TT version of the 2.5 i4 in current Camry & RAV4 or completely new
6) where's the other hybrid, we all know that lexus new strategy as well as Toyota is to have 2 different hybrids in every car one as economic and the other as sporty , so where's the other hybrid in the next IS and what's its specs
Well there should be new hybrid system based on the UX250H and Corolla Sports but of course more powerful maybe 220-250HP. I think there will be newly developed hybrid for the more powerful model. 450H is outdated so 500H maybe? Definetely going to be multistage hybrid. Also maybe thereis HV and turbo combination on this multistage hybrid. Personally I want plug-in hybrid with range of 60-70km paired with 300hp+ engine. Gasoline engine for RWD and Electric FWD then in hybrid Mode you can have eAWD.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
^ I don't mind the higher-end hybrid too. Over 12 years, I am confident it will still cost less than a Model 3 Tesla LR + Dual Motors, even with the gasoline savings. :)

If I don't go for a BEV, I am sticking with a Toyota/Lexus RWD-biased hybrid vehicle with e-AWD. Some people on Edmunds complain that their Hybrid Accords are getting like 35-39 MPG during the colder winter months and that's not acceptable when our 16 RAV4H is getting about 30 MPG with makeshift grill blockers.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
^ I don't mind the higher-end hybrid too. Over 12 years, I am confident it will still cost less than a Model 3 Tesla LR + Dual Motors, even with the gasoline savings. :)

If I don't go for a BEV, I am sticking with a Toyota/Lexus RWD-biased hybrid vehicle with e-AWD. Some people on Edmunds complain that their Hybrid Accords are getting like 35-39 MPG during the colder winter months and that's not acceptable when our 16 RAV4H is getting about 30 MPG with makeshift grill blockers.
In Finland renewable energy production accounts 50% and carbon neutral 78%. You can drive 110000km on a 2019 Qashqai before your car emits more than 40kWh Leaf. Comparing Models S P100 with TMC hybrid Models S will likely never emit less than HV Corolla or Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.