Status
Not open for further replies.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Maybe the IS might be the first to get the 2.4L TT in the TS050 (who knows...)

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The 2.4L turbo will be Inline-4 not a 90-degree V6.
If I remember correctly, a number of engines in the past (Audi comes to mind) have reduced their displacement via thicker cylinder walls/linings when boosting their engines. Could this rumored 2.4-liter turbo be nothing more than a turbocharged version of the latest Camry's 2.5-liter A25A-FKS 4-cylinder engine? Under this theory, thicker cylinder walls/linings would reduce cylinder displacement slightly to create an A24A-FTS engine.

Reactions: CIF

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If I remember correctly, a number of engines in the past (Audi comes to mind) have reduced their displacement via thicker cylinder walls/linings when boosting their engines. Could this rumored 2.4-liter turbo be nothing more than a turbocharged version of the latest Camry's 2.5-liter A25A-FKS 4-cylinder engine? Under this theory, thicker cylinder walls/linings would reduce cylinder displacement slightly to create an A24A-FTS engine.

This is the first time I hear of this and I don't know if such practice is widely used or not. Past Toyota turbocharged engines always have the exact same dimensions as NA counterparts. We don't even know if the 2.4 number is true.

Reactions: CIF

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Japanese publication Mag X has a rough sketch of the 4IS:

06231605_5b2df12a6406d.jpg

https://www.mag-x.com/shop/products/detail.php?product_id=109

No matter how hard I tried, I could not purchase this magazine online. I have an account, but password won't work. Have requested a reset, fingers crossed!

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Actually found it on the Amazon.jp website, here's the IS article:

Screen-Shot-2018-07-04-at-3.08.45-PM.jpg

Anyone want to translate the important parts?

Rhambler

Fan
Reactions
If that indeed is what the next IS will look like, it marks the great homogenization of Lexus.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing so long as the theme and underlying design element (that is being duplicated) is good.

Mercedes, Audi, BMW are all doing it, but the drawback is if the underlying theme sucks, well, the entire lineup follows suit. It’s all or nothing. Conversely, if it’s good, the exact opposite is true. Regardless, it creates a familiar identity; BMW has used this to a fault, good or bad.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Awesome find krew! The rear end of the sketch is really rough, so they don't know exactly yet what it will look like.

I can't translate the thing, but tidbits I was able to discern:

- Talking about the LC and TNGA, the 4IS is obviously using GA-L.
- LC F and IS F are mentioned as well as the rumored 4.0L TT V8. Sounds like that means we could get a next-gen IS F with the rumored TT V8
- The UX is also oddly mentioned
- Both the 2.4L 4 cylinder turbo as well as the A25A engine are both mentioned. Different engines for different markets, or a sign that the 2.4L 4 cylinder turbo is related to the A25A?

- Listed dimensions for 4IS:
Wheelbase 2870mm (113 inch) ?
Length 4730mm (186.2 inch)
Width 1815mm (71.5 inch)
Height 1425mm height (56.1 inch)

For comparison, current 3IS dimensions:
Wheelbase 2,800 mm (110.2 in)
Length 4,681 mm (184.3 in)
Width 1,810 mm (71.3 in)
Height 1,430 mm (56.3 in)

Current 4GS dimensions:
Wheelbase 2,850 mm (112.2 in)
Length 4,879 mm (192.1 in)
Width 1,840 mm (72.4 in)
Height 1,455 mm (57.3 in)

LC dimensions:
Wheelbase 2,870 mm (113.0 in)
Length 4,760 mm (187.4 in)
Width 1,920 mm (75.6 in)
Height 1,345 mm (53.0 in)

There is a question mark though about the wheelbase as I can't read Japanese, and can't confirm if the wheelbase is indeed matching that of the LC. If true though, that's a noticeable length and significant wheelbase increase for the 4IS. That's also an identical wheelbase to the LC and extremely similar length. The IS getting LC dynamics...that would be huge. Also signifies decreased overhangs for the 4IS. Bigger wheelbase than the 4GS as well. So according to the measurements, size-wise the 4IS won't totally match the GS, but it gets closer to GS size than before. Of course, if we do get a next-gen GS in the future, it will be sure to grow in size.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
A25A-FKS = naturally aspirated
A25A-FXS = naturally aspirated + electric motor (hybrid)
A25A-FTS = forced induction (turbo)

?

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Wishful thinking the 4IS will be out as a 2020 MY and fitted with a flagship powertrain unless this is an "F" model. If anything, for a non-F version, the 3.5TT will have to be detuned to ~350hp which will be in line to compete with the 440i and S5. Needless to say, I do hope for a 4IS release in 2020 with a better quality interior, more competitive tech and powertrains, which will get me back into one.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Interesting forum comments I think they need to re vamp te IS now not in two years time, and I agree that we need an electric IS to take on Tesla. Tesla are now producing 5000 of their 3 sedan per week and climbing and still cannot fulfill the de and.
I am pretty sure Toyota will not let this go and therefore expect to see an EV sooner rather than later. Looking at Tesla on You Tube it is hard not to be impressed with their car, simple, clean design like driving an iPhone and that is want the youngster relate to.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Interesting forum comments I think they need to re vamp te IS now not in two years time, and I agree that we need an electric IS to take on Tesla. Tesla are now producing 5000 of their 3 sedan per week and climbing and still cannot fulfill the de and.
I am pretty sure Toyota will not let this go and therefore expect to see an EV sooner rather than later. Looking at Tesla on You Tube it is hard not to be impressed with their car, simple, clean design like driving an iPhone and that is want the youngster relate to.

Good point about the Model 3, another disruptor from Tesla that is taking sales from everyone...

Sakura

Fan
Reactions
Wishful thinking the 4IS will be out as a 2020 MY and fitted with a flagship powertrain unless this is an "F" model. If anything, for a non-F version, the 3.5TT will have to be detuned to ~350hp which will be in line to compete with the 440i and S5. Needless to say, I do hope for a 4IS release in 2020 with a better quality interior, more competitive tech and powertrains, which will get me back into one.

I agree. Its definitely wishful thinking the 4IS will be out by 2020 for a 2021MY with a flagship TTV6 Non F model. I wouldn't bet on this rumor - especially with the crazy SUV market going on right now. Knowing how business-minded Toyota is - I have a hard time believing they'll drop a Lexus IS400 or something with a TTV6 knowing they'll never make good sales from it. It'll be an enthusiasts car for sure but we all know enthusiasts cars don't pay the bills.

Interesting forum comments I think they need to re vamp te IS now not in two years time

I'll disagree. The Lexus IS currently is doing fine. Its following the typical Lexus IS trend sales numbers (that's even with SUV sales eating some of its profits).
Its still fresh compared to the competition and stacks up pretty well - especially with the new 10.3 inch display from refresh.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It really is interesting that no big luxury brand has jumped in. There is obviously a market here.

Their focus is on electric crossovers. Tesla shot itself in the foot by making the Model 3 first not Model Y (although they couldn't predict the SUV boom when the Model 3 was formulated). Others are playing smart by filling the hole before Model Y arrives.

arrow1982

Fan
Reactions
The next IS will debute with the 2,5 inline 4 with the multistage gearbox. The 2,0 turbo and the 3,5v6 from the camry. End of story... There will be no twin turbo stuff in a volume model.

Status
Not open for further replies.