Official 4th Generation IS Discussion Thread

mikeavelli

Connoisseur
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there still literally nothing else we know about the 4IS even in Sept 2019? Will there be a 2020 IS as the last model year of the 3IS? This wait (and lack of new info) is killing me.
It has been pretty tight lipped....

internalaudit

Follower
Reaction score
One likely thing to happen is for Toyota to adopt its (wardauto) award winning UX/infotainment in the RX to the 4IS and other models. Rather than getting criticized mainly for the current infotainment systems, at least, critics can focus on other elements of design or car features.

Just imagine planned obsolescence disappearing with CA/AA compatibility and future-proofing with next gen battery technology in the 4IS.

ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
Daimler halted development of all future ICEs and will only focus on electric power. No more update to future Mercedes engines. They realized they are woefully underprepared for the electric revolution. Unfortunately for them switching to full electric right now is a path to disaster and a competitive hybrid needs a super efficient ICE which they don't have.

The hard truth is that TM3 is eating mid-size sedans for breakfast and the IS will be DOA if it doesn't launch with a competitive full-electric model.

GNS

Fan
Reaction score
Looks like the 2020 IS is showing on Lexus.com. Anybody with info on what's different between 2019 and 2020? The info on the website is so curated and controlled that it's really hard to tell what changed. I know the powertrain is still the same though.

Will1991

Follower
Reaction score
Daimler halted development of all future ICEs and will only focus on electric power. No more update to future Mercedes engines. They realized they are woefully underprepared for the electric revolution. Unfortunately for them switching to full electric right now is a path to disaster and a competitive hybrid needs a super efficient ICE which they don't have.

The hard truth is that TM3 is eating mid-size sedans for breakfast and the IS will be DOA if it doesn't launch with a competitive full-electric model.
We’ve got to give it to Elon, he really managed to put an entire industry in hyperdrive to BEV’s!

Maybe before Tesla a hydrogen car would make much more sense than now with the current state of battery development, but it’s still very good for us (the costumers) to have all of this choice and different technologies pushing one for the other.

Looks like the 2020 IS is showing on Lexus.com. Anybody with info on what's different between 2019 and 2020? The info on the website is so curated and controlled that it's really hard to tell what changed. I know the powertrain is still the same though.
So, only for MY2021 a new IS in the best case cenario?

internalaudit

Follower
Reaction score
^ I think so.

The problem I see is Toyota is bent on using the E-TNGA platform for the upcoming 10 electric cars (6 global models and 4 likely for China) by 2025 but the newer Lexus vehicles will be on the TNGA-L so now I'm kinda doubting that the 4IS will come in a BEV variant unless the holy grail of BEV -- battery technology -- makes leaps and bounds before 2025, permitting vehicles on the TNGA-L platform to be customized as BEVs.

Will1991

Follower
Reaction score
@internalaudit , I want to believe it’s possible due to CHR has been announced as a BEV and it’s built on ‘normal’ TNGA’ and we even have a very good indication as the UX being the first Lexus BEV and it’s also ‘normal’ TNGA...

What we can see it’s how big of a deal the next couple of years will be for Toyota and specially Lexus due to several Model changes.

internalaudit

Follower
Reaction score
@internalaudit , I want to believe it’s possible due to CHR has been announced as a BEV and it’s built on ‘normal’ TNGA’ and we even have a very good indication as the UX being the first Lexus BEV and it’s also ‘normal’ TNGA...

What we can see it’s how big of a deal the next couple of years will be for Toyota and specially Lexus due to several Model changes.
Almost every car maker now talks about getting many of their BEVs out by 2025. Even existing battery makers such as CATL is predicting lots of progress on current Li-on technology:

and many newer solid state batteries kinda have the same target but we know Toyota will announce its own SSB progress next summer.

Good thing my horizon can stretch that far, thanks to owning a Toyota and two Honda vehicles and because we know depreciation is the number one pocketbook killer and I can probably scoop up used BEVs (if need be) for a song if Toyota and Honda delay their BEV offerings to Canada. :)

Last edited: