No Green Ignition Light

Reactions
Hi All.

2006 IS220d SE. Standard mileage for age.

Completely out of the blue, the most reliable car I have ever owned, fails. No green ignition LED when putting my foot on the clutch pedal.

Due to Covid the car had sat for a while and of course the battery had almost drained because of the security system. The battery hadn't drained completely, the key fob still unlocked the doors and talked to the windows.

I trickle charged the battery over night and ensured with a volt meter that it was sat with around 13v.

Just to be on the safe side I changed both key fob batteries.

I have spoken with my Lexus dealer who ran me through a number of checks.

Battery Voltage.

Fuses (2 lots under the bonnet) & (2 lots in the foot wells).

All fuses check out correctly with the volt meter.

And still nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Heard of another Lexus owner who may not even be on the forum with the same problem?

Getting pretty desperate here

RAL

Reactions
welcome @martinpittaway
regrettably no words of wisdom for you, but hopefully someone else here. I wish you well resolving this issue.

Will1991

Reactions
Maybe your security system isn’t disabling your engine immobilizer or isn’t enabling your engine start button... As far as I know those systems require doing something after a battery replacement/discharge.
Is your system installed from factory or was it provided by a aftermarket unit?
My advice would be to look up for the security system user manual and see how you could do it or contact a car electrician.

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
If you know someone with a scan tool, I'd bet there's probably a code being thrown that would point to what's wrong.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
Hi All.

2006 IS220d SE. Standard mileage for age.

Completely out of the blue, the most reliable car I have ever owned, fails. No green ignition LED when putting my foot on the clutch pedal.

Due to Covid the car had sat for a while and of course the battery had almost drained because of the security system. The battery hadn't drained completely, the key fob still unlocked the doors and talked to the windows.

I trickle charged the battery over night and ensured with a volt meter that it was sat with around 13v.

Just to be on the safe side I changed both key fob batteries.

I have spoken with my Lexus dealer who ran me through a number of checks.

Battery Voltage.

Fuses (2 lots under the bonnet) & (2 lots in the foot wells).

All fuses check out correctly with the volt meter.

And still nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Heard of another Lexus owner who may not even be on the forum with the same problem?

Getting pretty desperate here

I bet you it's as simple as replacing the LED in the start button itself. LED's do burn out overtime. It could be as simple as even replacing the whole push button start assembly.

Reactions
I bet you it's as simple as replacing the LED in the start button itself. LED's do burn out overtime. It could be as simple as even replacing the whole push button start assembly.
Thanks to Ian and to flip side.

Ian. The car is so dead there is nil response from the OBD connection or whatever it's called that the engineers plug a tester into. Brand new battery installed on the car so not that.

Fliside. Have already changed the start button for a unit that has been tested and seen working in an identical Lexus. My car dead. Put the button back in the other Lexus and all good again. Plus have also changed the Blue Ignition relay.

For information. We noticed that when opening the drivers door the red door open LED did not light up. All other doors showed open. Currently awaiting a replacement courtesy light switch for the door.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
If there's nothing on the OBD-II connector, then I'd suspect that while it was sitting the wiring became a buffet for rodents. That's been a fairly common story during Covid. You'll probably need to have it towed either to a dealer or a mechanic.