Next Generation of Apple CarPlay

Motor

Expert
Reactions
I dig it. Some of it reminds me of the Audi Virtual Cockpit which is fantastic to use.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Toyota/Lexus was notably absent from the list of supporting manufacturers (Mercedes, BMW, and Ford were front and center), but I'll be surprised if it's not a relatively easy update for them to do on cars with Lexus Interface.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Toyota/Lexus was notably absent from the list of supporting manufacturers (Mercedes, BMW, and Ford were front and center), but I'll be surprised if it's not a relatively easy update for them to do on cars with Lexus Interface.
The new Lexus platform is supposed to be surprisingly agile, but this seems like it requires deeper hooks then just a software layer running over the infotainment screen. Customizeable gauges/widgets = more system permissions.

Will1991

Reactions
This is the next big thing for lazy automakers... Just put more screens and forget about designing the dash (EQS)...

Remember when Lexus did this in 1998?

2250365707_c4dcaaaa76_z.jpg

So much more work, so much thought required to get to this point... Now it's just an LCD, that can go out of fashion in a couple of years...

I also think that this new Lexus system might need something else in the future, the older "LFA based" system have that solid metal ring that moves to give it so much more depth.... Coming to the pinnacle on the RC F:

2018-lexus-rc-f-gauge-cluster-carbuzz-347453-1600.jpg

Perfect combination (y)

As for the infotainment, I like how Lexus is doing right now... A good standard UI, not going for "bigger is always better" approach on the screen size but offering Apple Car Play as well!

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
This is the next big thing for lazy automakers... Just put more screens and forget about designing the dash (EQS)...

Remember when Lexus did this in 1998?

2250365707_c4dcaaaa76_z.jpg

So much more work, so much thought required to get to this point... Now it's just an LCD, that can go out of fashion in a couple of years...

I also think that this new Lexus system might need something else in the future, the older "LFA based" system have that solid metal ring that moves to give it so much more depth.... Coming to the pinnacle on the RC F:

2018-lexus-rc-f-gauge-cluster-carbuzz-347453-1600.jpg

Perfect combination (y)

As for the infotainment, I like how Lexus is doing right now... A good standard UI, not going for "bigger is always better" approach on the screen size but offering Apple Car Play as well!
Lexus new MMI and IP have been getting some solid improvements with TGNA platform refreshes. No longer do we have analog gauges mixed in with small central displays that output a limited amount of vehicle info.

That being said, exiting the Lexus-sphere, the unified single big screen transition is reminiscent of how the other big players have been moving to this standard since 2015. After that transition they are jumping to the MASSIVE OLEDS as the next big thing now. TMC is playing catchup and I assume when the Big Three move to something brand new, Lexus will introduce the massive OLED.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I wonder what Apple's privacy and data retention policy will include.

What data will CarPlay collect?
How long will it be kept?
Where will that data be kept? Will it be transmitted to Apple?
Will Apple sell that data? How -- individually or aggregated?

Apple, with this new extended CarPlay, has access to a great amount of data, enough to determine the individual driver's driving habits and driving history -- how the driver tends to drive and where the driver drives. Insurance companies would love to have access to this data (which is why insurance companies offer you those dongles you plug into your ODB port).

Will Apple retain and sell this data? I hope not!

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Apple's been good about keeping things locked up on your phone that shouldn't go elsewhere. Siri and voice dictation happen entirely on the phone now instead of contacting any servers, for instance. And it's worth noting that Lexus already collects a lot of that data. If you have the Lexus app on your phone, it rates how smoothly you drive for each trip with acceleration, braking, and steering data and that's stored on Lexus' servers (and probably used by the powertrain engineers to refine the ECU software).

That's exactly the point of making everything a screen. Redesign the graphics and suddenly a hasn't-been-refreshed-in-5-years car has a dash that looks up to date.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Apple's been good about keeping things locked up on your phone that shouldn't go elsewhere. Siri and voice dictation happen entirely on the phone now instead of contacting any servers, for instance. And it's worth noting that Lexus already collects a lot of that data. If you have the Lexus app on your phone, it rates how smoothly you drive for each trip with acceleration, braking, and steering data and that's stored on Lexus' servers (and probably used by the powertrain engineers to refine the ECU software).

That's exactly the point of making everything a screen. Redesign the graphics and suddenly a hasn't-been-refreshed-in-5-years car has a dash that looks up to date.
Up to date with OLED burn-ins of outdated design? Nah...not for me.

Unfortunately we have to get over timelessness and longevity, we are in a "buy and throw away" society made sound good as "lease and be free, don't own and be slave".

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I wonder what Apple's privacy and data retention policy will include.

What data will CarPlay collect?
How long will it be kept?
Where will that data be kept? Will it be transmitted to Apple?
Will Apple sell that data? How -- individually or aggregated?

Apple, with this new extended CarPlay, has access to a great amount of data, enough to determine the individual driver's driving habits and driving history -- how the driver tends to drive and where the driver drives. Insurance companies would love to have access to this data (which is why insurance companies offer you those dongles you plug into your ODB port).

Will Apple retain and sell this data? I hope not!
Depends on how much data Apple needs for its own ventures ;)
Before Apple PR focused on selling iDevices for being the most "privacy-centric" iOS was a data brokers paradise. Even with software tabs that could disable select services. With carplay being their new frontier, I do think that select policies will be effectively gray area.