ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That dramatic increase in mid-range torque without sacrificing efficiency on the A25A-FXS is quite impressive. At 3600rpm it's almost 25% more torque (almost matching the FKS). This is a proof that the Dynamic Force series has a lot of growth potential to make it relevant for many years to come. Actually there's no reason to not update all cars using the FXS to this new spec as the benefit is just too good.

The new electric motor seems to be an updated 2JM used on the last gen RAV4 hybrid/NX300h. The E-Four rear axle still needs improvement. It doesn't have enough torque to pull the car out when the front axle loses traction. While it's a significant improvement over last gen (basically useless) it's still worse than the DTC let alone DTV. Just go search for roller tests comparing RAV4 hybrid and one with DTC.

What worries me still is the lack of a common modular motor architecture. For the same 2.5L THS they are using three different motor families: JM, KM, and NM. These are relics of the 2010s when they needed to try all kinds of motor designs to optimize for each application. But today developing a new motor for each car isn't the most economical way and it goes against the TPS philosophy of a lean supply chain. Surely for E-TNGA they have to standardize and modularize everything.

Reactions
I hate bumping things without solid info but from what I've heard the new NX will come in a plug in and is said to bring Lexus into a class leading position in regards to available technology and powertrains. Imagine a smaller LQ but FWD biased. Set for Q1 2021. This is the extent of what i know about the 2NX. 5 power train options. unsure how many will trickle into respective marketplaces. Expect a much more powerful hybrid for USDM.

LexsCTJill

Follower
Reactions
I hate bumping things without solid info but from what I've heard the new NX will come in a plug in and is said to bring Lexus into a class leading position in regards to available technology and powertrains. Imagine a smaller LQ but FWD biased. Set for Q1 2021. This is the extent of what i know about the 2NX. 5 power train options. unsure how many will trickle into respective marketplaces. Expect a much more powerful hybrid for USDM.

It is pretty obvious that the new one will have a plug-in. The current Toyota RAV4 will be offering a plug-in, this new RAV4 called the prime very likely be the basis for a plug-in Lexus NX

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
If you go back a bit to page 6 of this thread, you'll find discussion on the multiple powertrain options expected for the 2nd-generation lexus NX.

Reactions
If you go back a bit to page 6 of this thread, you'll find discussion on the multiple powertrain options expected for the 2nd-generation lexus NX.
Just wanted to touch on the powertrain discussion. my contribution was the "becoming a class leader" in regards to available technology. i think its no secret that lexus is more of a wait and see company in that aspect.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Just wanted to touch on the powertrain discussion. my contribution was the "becoming a class leader" in regards to available technology. i think its no secret that lexus is more of a wait and see company in that aspect.

It's interesting for sure. Curious to see just how well differentiated the 450h+ designation will be.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If the 2NX looks like a mini LF-1, and then it takes them another 1.5-2 years to actually launch the LF-1 and it comes out looking like what everyone has come to know by that time as a $40k compact crossover...

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d9634ff27228cae88e3440-s800-c85.jpg

.... I might really want one.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
If the 2NX looks like a mini LF-1, and then it takes them another 1.5-2 years to actually launch the LF-1 and it comes out looking like what everyone has come to know by that time as a $40k compact crossover...

That is a big problem. Later they will just decide to cancel the LF1 and send there where the HPX is stored. They'll then just rebadge the Sequoia.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
That is a big problem. Later they will just decide to cancel the LF1 and send there where the HPX is stored. They'll then just rebadge the Sequoia.

Unless we are seeing a new design language that will spread out over the lineup. The LF1 could end up still being differentiated. There's a huge gap between this relatively simplified implementation, and the full-blown version they could do.

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
According to the latest information, Toyota began to adjust Lexus production in Japan, some ES models began to be produced in Tsutsumi plant, and some NX models began to be produced in Tahara plant. These adjustments should be in response to the demand for global sales growth in the future.

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions

I kind of thought the same thing but now I don't know. I leased a 2020 NX300 in December 2019 that's turning out to be the wrong decision. I should have got a UX250h because it's all the vehicle I really need for my driving habits.

When speculation started about what the 2nd gen NX hybrid could be I thought ok maybe I can tough this 2020 out for the full 3 years and at least see what gen 2 brings but I just think it's going to be more expensive than I want or need to go. Because like you say it really, really sounds attractive.

I'm hoping the deals on a UX will be good enough, if not by this December maybe by December 2021, to allow my to get out of this 2020 NX.

Last edited:

mordecai

Follower
Reactions

LOL, as Lexus says “Experience Amazing”.... first in our lower-end product as we trickle-up to the high end. 😂

Will1991

Reactions
Well, this might be a non issue, but from 1 January 2021 European emissions legislation will change and every new registered car must comply with:
  1. Euro 6d-TEMP-ISC-FCM
  2. Lower NOx conformity factor
  3. Fleet average of 95g.CO2/km

This can give us some time frame for NX (and the lower volume IS, CT), since it's a older powertrain, I don't know if this will have technical possibilities to record the life time fuel consumption of the vehicle (FCM - Fuel Consumption Monitor)...

If this engine for some reason isn't upgradable to comply with this, current NX, IS and CT will no longer be able to be sold in Europe for 2021 (I'm writing this here since the NX is by far the best seller from the trio).

This could also explain the lack of new models in the last 6 months, since any new vehicle type approval would have to comply with this from September of 2019.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Didn't MB say a while ago that having the C class look like a mini S class actually was working for them. Now it seems we are going to see LS -> ES -> IS, S -> E -> C equivalency.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Didn't MB say a while ago that having the C class look like a mini S class actually was working for them. Now it seems we are going to see LS -> ES -> IS, S -> E -> C equivalency.

My feeling is that that'll work for selling more C classes, but it could also annoy S class drivers (I've read repeatedly that M-B drivers and dealers can be kinda snobbish about the various classes of cars). Not as much as that Tesla clone interior they supposedly have coming though.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
My feeling is that that'll work for selling more C classes, but it could also annoy S class drivers (I've read repeatedly that M-B drivers and dealers can be kinda snobbish about the various classes of cars). Not as much as that Tesla clone interior they supposedly have coming though.

That's what I thought originally, but then i read some article, I'm still not convinced it's not the case long run that it hurts the brand.