Will1991

Reactions
So that'll be slower than the 200t/300?

8AR-FTS engine had 235hp/350Nm while the A25-FKS has around 200hp/250Nm, unless it goes on a big diet yes.

But it could be to replace the NX200 for Russia with a 3ZR engine, and with this one it can be made a global variant.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Even for 80% of North American buyers, NX 250 with A25A 4cyl would be plenty of engine. A little extra sound deadening and some different engine mounts, and it would be fine.

So this shapes up to be something like:

NX 250: 205hp
NX 300h: 240hp
NX 350(?): 290hp (assuming TT I4)
NX "Prime": 302hp

I still wish there was something with the realm of 350-360hp coming for "NX F" but with FWD-baised chassis and limitations with Toyota's AWD systems being MPG-biased, probably not going to happen.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Even for 80% of North American buyers, NX 250 with A25A 4cyl would be plenty of engine. A little extra sound deadening and some different engine mounts, and it would be fine.

I still wish there was something with the realm of 350-360hp coming for "NX F" but with FWD-baised chassis and limitations with Toyota's AWD systems being MPG-biased, probably not going to happen.

Couldn't the Prime to some extent fill that role with a beefier application of the e-axle?
302hp in the NX with a good chunk of electric torque and the torque vectoring described in that ES mule, would make it at least as much of a performance car as an A## AMG class vehicle.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Couldn't the Prime to some extent fill that role with a beefier application of the e-axle?
302hp in the NX with a good chunk of electric torque and the torque vectoring described in that ES mule, would make it at least as much of a performance car as an A## AMG class vehicle.

Potentially, but I'm really trying to limit my expectations by about 70%+ to not be disappointed by the real thing and final numbers.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Potentially, but I'm really trying to limit my expectations by about 70%+ to not be disappointed by the real thing and final numbers.

70%, well la-di-da Mr. Blue Skies over here.

Honestly even a standard application of the "Prime" designation on a cool new NX would be enough to make it my next winter/roadtrip car (unless i go crazy and do an OR custom GX, which i won't. I won't.)

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

i dont think NX250 will be in the US though, just markets that currently have 2.0l/2.5l but who knows. As you mention, most people will not care.

NX will probably have torque vectoring setup from Rav4, but they can certainly put the performance AWD system as in GR Yaris in some NX-F. I very much doubt they built it for single vehicle.

With NX Prime, i also wonder if they will use that e-axle tech they demoed in ES - it lets them move >100hp at the back and would be only useful for plugins, can even give it RWD bias.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The NX250/260 could be a core product for ChDM now that the 8AR-FTS NX300 is banned for failing to meet the 国6 emission standard. Still we haven't seen trademark registration for NX260 yet.

I hope they kill the pathetic NX200 and make the 260 the entry-level model and stop crippling the UX lineup to protect sales of lower-end NX.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
New "NX250" trademark for Philippines and Mongolia, "Lexus NX250" for Australia.

I'm guessing some sort of reveal shouldn't be far off.
@Carmaker1 is usually good with these things... i forget too much :)
I have a Kaizen Factor internal draft where I keep track of his information plus anything else credible I find online. As of now, 2nd-gen NX is tentatively slated to go on sale in autumn 2021 for the 2022 model year. But with Covid-19 causing so much upheaval throughout the world, further delays are certainly possible.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
After this NX250 trademark, today there is a new one, NX350 for Mongolia. I'm getting curious to see were this is going.

@Gecko , you were right about NX350 nameplate.

it also makes sense... additionally it is good that long rumored 2.4tt is appearing as advertised... >310hp and lots of torque... 1.6l in Yaris got good reviews so far.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
After this NX250 trademark, today there is a new one, NX350 for Mongolia. I'm getting curious to see were this is going.

@Gecko , you were right about NX350 nameplate.
it also makes sense... additionally it is good that long rumored 2.4tt is appearing as advertised... >310hp and lots of torque...
Agreed. Sounds like an NX with the rumored 2.4-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged engine would, according to Toyota's arbitrary equivalencies, equal the performance of a 3.5-liter naturally aspirated V6, hence the NX 350 badge.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
We don't know their specific power target for the 2.4T. But given the 350 name I expect it to be the same 90kW/L as the V35A, for ~210-225kW or 280-300hp. But with close to 450N.m of torque (~25% more than the 2GR-FKS) it has to have standard AWD since FWD will have massive drivability problems.

This makes me more convinced that there is no 2.0T replacement for the 8AR-FTS coming. They are replacing all current '300' models with '300h' and '350' models. About the same performance for much lower fuel consumption, or similar fuel consumption for a lot more power. A good direction to go.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
We don't know their specific power target for the 2.4T. But given the 350 name I expect it to be the same 90kW/L as the V35A, for ~210-225kW or 280-300hp. But with close to 450N.m of torque (~25% more than the 2GR-FKS) it has to have standard AWD since FWD will have massive drivability problems.

This makes me more convinced that there is no 2.0T replacement for the 8AR-FTS coming. They are replacing all current '300' models with '300h' and '350' models. About the same performance for much lower fuel consumption, or similar fuel consumption for a lot more power. A good direction to go.

First rumors said 317hp from JDM, so I think it is safe to assume it will be >300hp, considering that 1.6t came out true... not that HP matters that much, big difference is in torque down below.

As to 2.0t, i dont think we got any rumors about it yet... I dont see what market would it be for?
For instance, 2.0t would not be relevant in US, EU, JDM, Russia - compared to 2.4t.

I assume they will use 300h setup similar to Highlander, with >240hp and that will be quite good base engine for NX300h, RX300h, IS300h for Europe. Japan would get 250 as base engine for NX/IS. I do keep wondering if keep GR running for RX in some countries, simply because it will be both cheaper and customers might like it better (even if it is slower).