krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
20-02-23-lexus-lx-next-generation.jpg

The next-generation Lexus LX will be a “huge departure” from the current model, according to a Motor1 interview with a Toyota insider:

The next LX will reportedly represent a “huge departure” from the current model. It’s said to become far more luxurious and “an entirely different vehicle” compared to the outgoing LX, with a twin-turbo V6 hybrid underneath the hood and a diesel outside of the United States.
The next-gen LX is slated to come out sometime in 2022 and will be more along the lines of a Bentley Bentayga rather than a luxed-up Land Cruiser.

There are a couple different ways to interpret this news, in that it could signal a radical transformation of the Land Cruiser platform, or even the possibility that the LX will no longer be based on the Toyota Land Cruiser. Considering the LX is one of the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
It mentioned a 48V 1-motor hybrid system which is lighter and simpler.

It Also claimed the J300 will launch next summer.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Little corner said that Land Cruiser is getting 3.5L TTV6 and V6 diesel in Japan. And it will not be called 300 series since TNGA models have 2 digit code names. Also when you look closer to picture design elements in luxury Toyotas are getting toward Crown. Here is next Harrier.toyota_harrier_Rendering_CG_2019_front_side-.jpg
Almost whole article talks about design. But it confirms that it will share parts with LC. Powertrain is A35 + 10AT. Single motor 48V MHEV system will be used in other Toyota products like LC and Tundra.

Motor

Expert
Reactions
It looks like a Mitsubishi Outlander from the back. Not a good look.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Little corner said that Land Cruiser is getting 3.5L TTV6 and V6 diesel in Japan. And it will not be called 300 series since TNGA models have 2 digit code names. Also when you look closer to picture design elements in luxury Toyotas are getting toward Crown. Here is next Harrier.View attachment 3609
Almost whole article talks about design. But it confirms that it will share parts with LC. Powertrain is A35 + 10AT. Single motor 48V MHEV system will be used in other Toyota products like LC and Tundra.

Actually that is not accurate, in terms of Z100 for the LC coupe. Last Z, was Z40 Soarer and SC 430. Nothing has changed in that respect I imagine, as none of the existing 3 digit chassis code vehicles has been redesigned yet. S190 GS became L10, but that wasn't because of TNGA. Everything else was always 2 digit in numbering. XF40 became XF50, originating from XF10 in 1989. XU30 became AL10 then AL20.

The N280 (4Runner), J150, J200, and N300 (Tacoma) are all still in production as 3 digit (typical of frame models?) and nothing says they'll deviate from that yet.

That being said, LX 600 trademark isn't as great as I had hoped.
LX 600 is not a V8, but upnamed, beefier LS 500 engine vehicle. LX500d vs LX450d is basically 500h vs 450h. Basically nothing noteworthy. I had hoped they wouldn't try and pull a fast one, but "over 400+ hp" sounds like a TTV6. Focused on torque, meaning less hp than 416. A marginal improvement over LX570, just like LS 460 vs 500.

They seriously aren't bringing a knife to a gunfight? Targetting Bentley Bentayga, with less cylinders and a not so standout powertrain? An EV LX would make a statement more than a TTV6, but that is too soon of course.

My question for them is, how do they intend to revamp the engine choice of vehicles below these flagship vehicles then? Put a TTV6 in the 300 and LX, then what happens with vehicles below it? They get the same engine and then what? Because you can't stuff another variation of 2GR in them post redesign as the top petrol choice.

It isn't viable to have GX600 using the same engine as LX600 nor GX using old 2GR.

Instead of V35A-FTS, it will be A35A?

Last edited:

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
It looks like a Mitsubishi Outlander from the back. Not a good look.

It's an idea of the final design, but not always accurate in detailing. At this point though, anything less than 24 months out is pretty much finished with design and mostly engineering is going on instead, plus testing. Makes sense why one is hearing so much and all the trademarking applications.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That being said, LX 600 trademark isn't as great as I had hoped.
LX 600 is not a V8, but upnamed, beefier LS 500 engine vehicle. LX500d vs LX450d is basically 500h vs 450h. Basically nothing noteworthy. I had hoped they wouldn't try and pull a fast one, but "over 400+ hp" sounds like a TTV6. Focused on torque, meaning less hp than 416.

Instead of V35A-FTS, it will be A35A?
I agree that the same V35A-FTS could be called 600 in the LX instead of 500 as in the LS to show that it's an upgrade over the 3UR '570'. The V35A in its current form makes 600N.m of torque, calling it 600 makes sense but would be disappointing at the same time.

Toyota uses the first letter to denote displacement per cylinder, this is evident from the M15A/M20A designations. So a A-series V6 should be 3.7L (1.5 x 622cc/cylinder), I don't think there will be anything called A35A.

@flexus , do you have info on 48V MHEV? To be honest, wasn't expecting Toyota to follow MHEV route...
They have never invested in 48V before. Their only mild hybrid system was the early 2000s Previa/Estima hybrid and they determined it didn't work well so they gave up on mild hybrids.

There's possibility this 1-motor hybrid could be a P2 full-hybrid like the system they use on their Hino commercial trucks.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I am sure Toyota will have mild hybrid for their regular vehicles, it is a glorified start stop system.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
This vehicle is a perfect guinea pig to showcase your latest hybrid tech evolution. Some sick PHEV double the capacity and power of Rav4. Flagship technology.

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
Im waiting for the folks who yelled, kicked, screamed when anyone suggested that the next LX/LC were going for a) FI b) hybrid to hard PIVOT!

PIVOT, PIVOT, .......PIVVVVOOOTTTT!!!

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I agree that the same V35A-FTS could be called 600 in the LX instead of 500 as in the LS to show that it's an upgrade over the 3UR '570'. The V35A in its current form makes 600N.m of torque, calling it 600 makes sense but would be disappointing at the same time.

Toyota uses the first letter to denote displacement per cylinder, this is evident from the M15A/M20A designations. So a A-series V6 should be 3.7L (1.5 x 622cc/cylinder), I don't think there will be anything called A35A.
Thank you, as I was going off of what was mentioned in the post I replied to in "A35". This is just cynical marketing at play, if the 600 Newton meters is used as a means to play with nomenclature. Ideally I hope to be wrong, as it's unnecessary overkill in nomenclature.

That being said, there is nothing that shows an LF-1 is coming in production form. If they really wanted to make a statement, they'd called it LFX ala LFA and make it their best example of a high performance crossover. Looking at trademarks, I see nothing of the sort planned for, before 2022.

Lexus of the present, never files trademarks less than 2 years before launch and clearly this vehicle is possibly not the next LX, if it will still use GA-F. Unless the LX will be branched into two families, like Range Rover and Range Rover Sport. One product is family sized and GA-F. The Sport model is GA-L and high performance. GX becomes more niche? Who knows.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
They Need to Put Luxury Pakage from LS 500 to LX 600 but the sad news it's going to be v6
For all I know, it is the same story as the new underwhelming GLS 600 Maybach (TTV8, not V12) and just Lexus dealers making hubbub over nothing (as usual), like they did the LS 500 in 2014. I even heard such fanfare over the 2016 (G12) 7-Series LWB backseat in 2012, which 3 years later was just stupid noisemaking. It was good, but not remarkable compared to its predecessor.

I understand the excitement over seeing future product in secret, but they need to get a grip at times if it isn't that remarkable in the competitive segment, in being simply adequate in execution.

Despite those concerns of mine, I hope the internal fanfare is worthwhile and they will deliver an excellent product indeed.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That being said, there is nothing that shows an LF-1 is coming in production form. If they really wanted to make a statement, they'd called it LFX ala LFA and make it their best example of a high performance crossover. Looking at trademarks, I see nothing of the sort planned for, before 2022.

What do you think the odds are some of their high profile projects are being intentionally delayed or lengthened to account for the imminent global recession? At this point it's guaranteed to happen. It has already begun around the world, and US and China will only hang on for another year maximum. By stretching the development process they could reduce the short-term risk and prepare a better product for the recovery period after the recession (2-3 years after a recession is usually the best time to launch luxury products).

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
What do you think the odds are some of their high profile projects are being intentionally delayed or lengthened to account for the imminent global recession? At this point it's guaranteed to happen. It has already begun around the world, and US and China will only hang on for another year maximum. By stretching the development process they could reduce the short-term risk and prepare a better product for the recovery period after the recession (2-3 years after a recession is usually the best time to launch luxury products).

Oh no, I hadn't thought of that...LC-F too maybe on that basis? How ground up was the LF-1? Heavy production basis (like 2013 LF-NX), light-to-moderate production basis (like 2015 LF-FC) or entirely from scratch (2012 LF-LC)?

As for any incoming recession, yes it is a cause for concern with any company, as I'm myself being very careful with investments/stocks, let alone a large company on capital expenditure.