ssun30

Expert
Reaction score
Many people I know who converted to BEV and PHEV say they won't go back because it's hard to go back. That instant torque completely changes your expectations. From my experience, once I get used to that, most turbocharged ICEs feel unusable (of course, the BMW B48 being the exception). If you want a true ICE experience might as well go for natural aspiration (good reason to buy a GS-F or LC500 now).

If you are not a purist, hybrids could still work. But the car can feel like suffering from a split-personality disorder sometimes, especially when battery SoC becomes low. This is very noticeable on P2 hybrids, while power-split hybrids don't suffer as much.

F1 Silver Arrows

Follower
Reaction score
Many people I know who converted to BEV and PHEV say they won't go back because it's hard to go back. That instant torque completely changes your expectations. From my experience, once I get used to that, most turbocharged ICEs feel unusable (of course, the BMW B48 being the exception). If you want a true ICE experience might as well go for natural aspiration (good reason to buy a GS-F or LC500 now).

If you are not a purist, hybrids could still work. But the car can feel like suffering from a split-personality disorder sometimes, especially when battery SoC becomes low. This is very noticeable on P2 hybrids, while power-split hybrids don't suffer as much.
You say this, but I do think that Porsche is a perfect example that invalidates that specific point you made that I pointed out in bold. If you take a look at their legendary 918 Spyder hypercar and their amazing Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid sedan, these are two examples of cars that Porsche integrated a really efficient (quite sporty too) and technologically advanced battery technology with their great ICE motors. The result is that everyone has raved about these cars (the only negatives I can think of are how the instant torque can feel unnatural, at best interesting regenerative brakes, and weight). Looking at these two cars (and the brand), gives me a lot of hope about what is to come in the future. I still believe that electrification is good, but ICE's still have a future as well and are way more viable than battery power-plants.

When we have engines that are getting record-breaking levels of thermal and engine efficiency (thanks to modern technology) and put out a lot of power at the same time, and along with the electric motors not only do you have great performance, you also have solid gas mileage, great integration of the battery systems to the ICE that feels quite natural (except for maybe the instant torque and the regenerative brakes as I mentioned earlier), you also have a power unit that can be developed upon even more and we can be the best of electrification and normal gas powered engines at the same time (naturally both power units being able to cancel out each other's negatives except for the fact that both of these combined means a lot of weight, for now at least......). Toyota/Lexus are starting to do this now as well. They're starting to get a lot more performance oriented with their hybrids, while also having the best gas mileage and all the other positives that hybrids give us. I am surprised as to why Lexus (or Toyota) didn't do this earlier. Still though, kudos to companies like Porsche and Honda (or Acura for North Americans, and this will be probably one of the few times that I will ever give recognition to them) in the case of the NSX, for really showing what hybrids are capable of.

I have to say you're completely right and I do agree with your other points,. Though I must also say that it is impossible for me to have everything full EV (PHEV's are fine), I just can't LOL.

Last edited:

Will1991

Follower
Reaction score
According to Kirk Kreifels (YouTube video) it's 100% certain we will have a brand new IS for fall 2020 as a MY2021, and it's going to grow in size!

So, for 2020 we will have a brand new IS and CT (maybe?) perhaps as a preparation for 2021 emissions regulations.

GNS

Fan
Reaction score
According to Kirk Kreifels (YouTube video) it's 100% certain we will have a brand new IS for fall 2020 as a MY2021, and it's going to grow in size!

So, for 2020 we will have a brand new IS and CT (maybe?) perhaps as a preparation for 2021 emissions regulations.
Link to said video? If it comes with only 2.4L inline 4, I'd rather have the older 2GR-FKS. I'm done with 4 banger engines.

GNS

Fan
Reaction score
^ Thanks, now Lexus needs to get that twin turbo V6 mid-range competitor going. I've said this ad nauseum, but there are (or will be) seven competitors (that I know of / care about):
  1. M340i - turbo I6, 382hp / 369lb-ft
  2. S4 - turbo V6, 349hp / 369lb-ft
  3. C43 - turbo V6, 385hp / 384lb-ft
  4. Q50 Red Sport - turbo V6, 400hp / 350lb-ft
  5. G70 - turbo V6, 365hp / 376lb-ft
  6. CT5-V - turbo V6, 355hp / 400lb-ft
  7. TLX Type-S - (highly likely) turbo V6, ??? / ???
How would 2.4T even begin to compete against the above?

Reaction score
The 21 IS will have 3 engine options: a 2.5 liter hybrid, a 2.5 liter turbo and a 3.5 liter v6. The v6 will b only available on FSPORT
21 IS-F is a possibility but not confirmed within Lexus. Lexus US is having conversations with Lexus Japan on bringing back the IS-F but unfortunately if they do, it will be the same 5.0 liter currently in RC-F, GS-F and LC.

internalaudit

Follower
Reaction score
^ Thanks, now Lexus needs to get that twin turbo V6 mid-range competitor going. I've said this ad nauseum, but there are (or will be) seven competitors (that I know of / care about):
  1. M340i - turbo I6, 382hp / 369lb-ft
  2. S4 - turbo V6, 349hp / 369lb-ft
  3. C43 - turbo V6, 385hp / 384lb-ft
  4. Q50 Red Sport - turbo V6, 400hp / 350lb-ft
  5. G70 - turbo V6, 365hp / 376lb-ft
  6. CT5-V - turbo V6, 355hp / 400lb-ft
  7. TLX Type-S - (highly likely) turbo V6, ??? / ???
How would 2.4T even begin to compete against the above?
I wonder how those (including base models) rank in terms of overall reliability (also total cost of ownership) and value proposition for those who aren't millionaires yet.

I think Audi requires teknik? (Top trim) to get ACC for $1500 for the A4 here in Canada. Not sure if that is still the case.

Reactions: GNS

GNS

Fan
Reaction score
I wonder how those (including base models) rank in terms of overall reliability (also total cost of ownership) and value proposition for those who aren't millionaires yet.
I agree with you, I'm in no way suggesting that I would run out there and buy any of those (except maybe the TLX Type-S, since that is Honda engineering). All the Germans are lease only, Infiniti has a bunch of Renault parts under the hood, the Cadillac is not my thing, and the G70 is still too new to tell (and Genesis is a circus show right now).

I mean, I'm not ruling out the G70 completely, but I'd like to give it more time to bake a little bit. I'm just hoping that the presence of these competitors is lighting a fire under Lexus to step up.

I think Audi requires teknik? (Top trim) to get ACC for $1500 for the A4 here in Canada. Not sure if that is still the case.
The options list on the Germans is really quite something else. I specced out a C43 with a different set of wheels or something, and it added on a $5800 package full of crap I don't even want lol.

Reaction score
It seem Motor1 find the test vehicle of new IS. But they's news page say it LS fuel cell version. And I don't know it can post a link of Motor1's page to here?

internalaudit

Follower
Reaction score
I agree with you, I'm in no way suggesting that I would run out there and buy any of those (except maybe the TLX Type-S, since that is Honda engineering). All the Germans are lease only, Infiniti has a bunch of Renault parts under the hood, the Cadillac is not my thing, and the G70 is still too new to tell (and Genesis is a circus show right now).

I mean, I'm not ruling out the G70 completely, but I'd like to give it more time to bake a little bit. I'm just hoping that the presence of these competitors is lighting a fire under Lexus to step up.

The options list on the Germans is really quite something else. I specced out a C43 with a different set of wheels or something, and it added on a $5800 package full of crap I don't even want lol.
I looked at the base UX250H here in Canada and it has almost everything I want (LSS+2.0, auto dimming rearview mirror, heated steering wheel and front seats, LED lights, etc.), except for driver memory settings (which I can live without to save $9k FSport Series 2) and the power liftgate but having driven a Ford Mondeo station wagon for two weeks in Europe, it's really not such an inconvenience not to have a power liftgate, especially for me who rarely does the grocery shopping haha.

The pentagonal grill of Acura is slowly growing on me but I prefer the simpler horizontal line design on the non F Sport Lexus'es (if those simple lines were to carry over to Acura which I doubt). I may opt for an Acura TLX hybrid? if the next gen IS hybrid doesn't come to Canada. I still want a pure AWD BEV though and I think Lexus will come out with a few models much sooner than Honda.

I'm definitely not a car enthusiast which is why I am leading towards Lexus/Acura haha. I just want good handling and fuel economy and some creature comforts especially ACC but have to please the women in my household so Lexus most likely it is. Still have my 02 Civic MT and 11 Accord coupe and the 16 RAV4H is ho hum but so far has been bullet-proof.

Although I admire these upper trim models with 6-cylinder engines, I would rather wait for a BEV with the same power output, haha.

Last edited: