Status
Not open for further replies.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
So... Lexus is supposed to have waited 7 years with enthusiasts asking for a new ISF every single year since launch... To do it in a SUV-hungry world with an outperforming powertrain on a really old chassis?

M7XE3Lt3RAeOBH6xHjdnymf18Xg6DoYNHXBSafg26lYHXNNngE_M1H-uQreGwUN5NZQWFRBFu7hoj9FIrbUkL6l7lp4l

It could be a stopgap solution, get the ISF out there for people, and move it over to the new power plants for the ~2023 next model generation and whatever the standard F treatment is by then.

Better than not doing anything.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
9 year long model cycles are unheard of (except for Porsche lol) but hey, I am now waiting for a fully electric IS. No more HEV for me after buying my friend's CT200h.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
So... Lexus is supposed to have waited 7 years with enthusiasts asking for a new ISF every single year since launch... To do it in a SUV-hungry world with an outperforming powertrain on a really old chassis?

M7XE3Lt3RAeOBH6xHjdnymf18Xg6DoYNHXBSafg26lYHXNNngE_M1H-uQreGwUN5NZQWFRBFu7hoj9FIrbUkL6l7lp4l

Is the chassis that bad? Most complaints were that the IS was underpowered, slow and not fuel efficient.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
It could be a stopgap solution, get the ISF out there for people, and move it over to the new power plants for the ~2023 next model generation and whatever the standard F treatment is by then.

Better than not doing anything.

It's a missed opportunity for Lexus... They choose not to offer a F variant even with enthusiasts requesting it because they didn't see any financial incentive to do it.
It's almost karma seeing Lexus spending all of this R&D money to do a current ISF so late.

9 year long model cycles are unheard of (except for Porsche lol) but hey, I am now waiting for a fully electric IS. No more HEV for me after buying my friend's CT200h.

Here in Europe we still have CT200h, making it 9 years old already :)

Is the chassis that bad? Most complaints were that the IS was underpowered, slow and not fuel efficient.

Is really old, it's based on the MC platform. Not saying it's bad (I've previously test drive a IS300h and I love it), but this will go head-to-head against a G20 M3, with more than 500hp/600Nm built on a new platform...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This ISF news makes no sense and I thought a brand new IS was showing up not just a refresh? So confused...

I have a feeling this will be a refresh, but maybe also a slight realignment of what the IS is and where it sits.

Maybe brand new will be in 2023 and this is a substantial refresh to hold people over?

Honest question, would anyone here be upset if you had the option of the current V8 in the ISF, over no ISF?

If Lexus wants to make their top end F cars super competitive monsters, that's great, but I wont say bad things if they decide to give the V8 in the interim to a couple different models.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I thought there was no current-generation IS F because the chassis was not designed to accommodate a V8 engine?

If that was the case, what would be the point of changing this current-generation chassis (which would involve expensive engineering) to allow for a V8, to sell for only 2 years (before the new model)? If there will be a new IS F, it would logically wait for the next-generation, new-platform IS.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
I don't believe it. I don't think we will get another refresh. Time will tell, but I am not believing it.

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
We are going to see the reveal of an all new IS model some time thisyear , unless somehow the current events delay . It was supposed to be revealed at the Ny auto show ........
All new / not a refresh .

CT200h

Fan
Reactions
Total specualtion but likely . The new IS will use a version of the 3.0 BMW inline 6 from the Supra .....
Ha

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Hasn't another rumor been no V8s for vehicles under $90k? Not sure how real that one is, but would conflict with V8 IS500, unless the IS is going way upmarket.

Why not just take the TT V6 they already have? Or start going down the performance hybrid route.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Hasn't another rumor been no V8s for vehicles under $90k? Not sure how real that one is, but would conflict with V8 IS500, unless the IS is going way upmarket.

Why not just take the TT V6 they already have? Or start going down the performance hybrid route.

Unless they do some magic, the TT V-6 is not a high revving sports sedan engine. Its a low torque big sedan engine. Not sure how big it is either. But if they can adapt it to the IS F, I am all for it. The thing is the C63 AMG already has 500hp or so. New M3 will surely get a bump etc...

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Unless they do some magic, the TT V-6 is not a high revving sports sedan engine. Its a low torque big sedan engine. Not sure how big it is either. But if they can adapt it to the IS F, I am all for it. The thing is the C63 AMG already has 500hp or so. New M3 will surely get a bump etc...

E-axle could address that, no? Make the F-Sport the hybrid-performance version. Didn't they have an ES mule with some prototype system a little while ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.