Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Here is another video of a three row 250. I don’t know if it’s a hybrid though.

A few things that stood out to me:
-different front grill
-no rear locker
-no awkwardly placed volume knob

Motor

Expert
Reactions

Last edited:
Reactions
Well it looks like the Land Crusiers must be coming soon, local dealer already sold their first allotment.

1712344772392.png

Motor

Expert
Reactions

😍

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Many of these reviews mention power being "adequate" or "enough" or even a little underwhelming.

I think all of the turbocharged Dynamic Force powerplants have gotten similar feedback, except for maybe the RX/TX 500h with 366hp. I was hoping the truck/SUV tune of the 2.4T + hybrid was going to be more powerful or exciting. GX 550h is likely another 500-600lbs heavier than the Land Cruiser, so this powerplant is going to be even slower in the Lexus.

My guess is that Toyota went more conservative on tuning and power delivery for the DF family because they are a major leap forward in technology and most now incorporate turbocharging, so understressing them would yield better long term predicted reliability. While I know reliability is probably #1 for most Toyota/Lexus buyers, as an enthusiast, I think the DF family has been underwhelming and disappointing.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Many of these reviews mention power being "adequate" or "enough" or even a little underwhelming.

I think all of the turbocharged Dynamic Force powerplants have gotten similar feedback, except for maybe the RX/TX 500h with 366hp. I was hoping the truck/SUV tune of the 2.4T + hybrid was going to be more powerful or exciting.

My guess is that Toyota went more conservative on power for the DF family because they are a major leap forward in technology and most now incorporate turbocharging, so understressing them would yield more long term reliability. As an enthusiast, this has been very underwhelming and disappointing.
Same.
I'm a little disappointed as well, even though I wouldn't consider that powerplant if I was shopping for a 4Runner or GX. I'd take the non-hybrid versions with lower load floors, less curb weight, and less cost.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
It is an issue of misplaced expectations. They see that 465lb-ft of torque and assume that it means the vehicles will be fast. Torque is an awful indicator of performance. Power is all that matters. The Land Cruiser is a 5200lb+ vehicle that makes 326hp. It likely performs exactly as the power:weight ratio indicates it would.

Torque is great for driveability. It feels strong and immediate in “normal” driving. Versus needing to downshift all the time, a little throttle can apply that torque increase in the same gear. Also great for not needing to be in 3rd gear when pulling a normal hill on the highway.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't think I've ever heard someone say torque is an awful indicator of performance with trucks and utility vehicles... it is the opposite. 465lb-ft with a turbo and batteries should be a pretty serious kick in the ass off the line or when passing, especially with 8 gears. I wouldn't be looking for a Land Cruiser, or anything similar, to deliver top end (horse)power like a performance car, and 326hp is still very healthy.

5k lbs is the average weight of most midsize SUVs and CUVs these days, and this powertrain makes more torque than all of them, and comparable horsepower, with the added benefit of on-demand power from batteries.

Since most of these reviews were off-road, I look forward to reading more on-road impressions and hope there are stronger marks for the powertrain. It's also likely that the media rounds were done with pre-production units and production Land Cruisers will have a different software update that might remedy some of this... and at the very least, I expect Toyota to iterate on the powertrain calibration going forward.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I feel like instead of peak torque we need to look at total torque delivered under the curve to get an idea of power delivery.

That said i agree they probably are super understressing these motors.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
@Gecko GX460 versus 4Runner is a great illustration between torque and power.

Vehicle4Runner Limited (V6)GX460
Weight48055126
Power270301
Weight : Power (lower is better)17.817.0
Torque278329
Weight : Torque (lower is better)17.315.5
0-60mid 7low 7
1/4 miupper 15mid 15

All out performance wise, they have basically the same power to weight ratio, similar gear ratios, same platform, etc and return basically the same performance metrics. GX is a little faster, but that would be expected due to it having a little better weight : power ratio.

Now think about how each one of them drive on a day to day basis. The V8 of the GX feels a lot more effortless in its normal driving than a 4Runner. That's the difference between power and torque. Torque makes vehicles feel quick and drive nice... power makes them fast.

Another easy test... when you bury the throttle in any multispeed transmission vehicle, does the transmission put the engine speed at peak torque RPM or peak power RPM?

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The iForce Max hybrids should be treated like diesels instead of high performance gasoline engines. The 2.4L iForce Max has 630N.m of torque but only at 1700rpm and falls off after that. At 2000rpm it's down to 600N.m and at 3000rpm it's "only" 545N.m (mind you, that's still more than the 5.7L V8 in the LC200). What's more important than peak torque figure is the torque curve, but it's much harder to advertise than a single number. Anyone who has driven a LC200 V8 diesel knows it's way slower than the V8 gasoline models (even the 4.6), but what it can do is climbing obstacles almost at idle, the gasoline models cannot.

Another problem with the iForce Max hybrids is the ancient NiMH battery tech they use. The 288V 6.5Ah NiMH pack has been in use since 2008 on the LS600h, and even compared to that 2008 pack it's detuned from 46kW to 36kW. (Of course they optimized the packaging a bit, but the battery cells have not evolved since then). It has barely enough usable charge to deliver full hybrid boost for a minute. So Toyota is going maximum conservative with tuning. And of course this very little available energy is also why iForce Max hybrids have consistently failed to deliver promised fuel efficiency gains, because in real life it is very likely to run out of charge after the driver does a few overtakes or climb a long gradient. With low SOC the whole hybrid system is essentially dead weight on a P2 parallel setup.

Since Toyota has chosen the route of very low energy density and a high C-rate and very conservative battery specifications overall, they don't have any battery optimized for truck applications, until they introduce PHEV models to them.

Last edited: