16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

supra93

Expert
Reactions

20211010_NEW_CROWN_1_01.jpg

20211010_NEW_CROWN_1_03.jpg

20211010_NEW_CROWN_1_04.jpg

20211010_NEW_CROWN_1_02.jpg

20211010_NEW_CROWN_1_05.jpg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Summary of the rumor:
>> Design will be a liftback 4dr coupe like A7 (similar to recent rumor from China).
>> Front fascia is a hybrid of BZ4X headlights and Avalon's hexagonal grille.
>> One of the challenges downsizing the GA-L to GA-N is the Crown is only 1800mm wide, so the proportions are wrong and packaging is terrible. That's the reason why GA-N is abandoned in favor of GA-K. New dimensions are 4900 x 1850 x 1450mm.
>> Base model will be FF (probably with A25A-FKS). Higher end model includes T24 hybrid E-Four (hmmm...no E-Axle?) and T24 with DTV. The new tune of T24 will be over 280PS.
>> Toyota Teammate autonomous driving system.
>> Their interior render is basically the ES...

I think this is a preview to the next ES. Unfortunately current gen will stick around for at least 3 more years.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
so crown could be the toyota version of es, sold worldwide (except western europe) with fastback style, next es also, camry a shorter wheelbase 3 box sedan, LS and LC are dead, IS and RC could just be a rebadged Mazda or simply die as GS.

supra93

Expert
Reactions

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What about the rumors of a Crown CUV? Is that happening too?

It seems strange to me that ES and Crown are going to be so closely related... maybe it will work, but in a world with falling sedan sales, Toyota just had to kill the Avalon. I guess basing it on GA-K makes it easier to justify.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

It seems strange to me that ES and Crown are going to be so closely related... maybe it will work, but in a world with falling sedan sales, Toyota just had to kill the Avalon. I guess basing it on GA-K makes it easier to justify.
What that says to me is that LS/LC are dead. IS can only live on the Mazda platform, maybe IS will be the fruit of similar development strategy as GT86/Subaru and Supra/BMW.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
What that says to me is that LS/LC are dead. IS can only live on the Mazda platform, maybe IS will be the fruit of similar development strategy as GT86/Subaru and Supra/BMW.

I think that is possible... however... I think we have to wait a while longer to find out and be sure. I think the LS will survive in some form, but I expect the LC or RC, or both, to be retired at the end of their lifecycles. So I expect to see one of two things:

1) Lexus is engineering some sort of "super GA-K" with permanent AWD via Direct4 or electrification that can support flagship products like LS. This isn't going to be an easy feat, but I think it could be doable with some trickery like Direct4.

or

2) Lexus is going to come up with some revised RWD architecture as per rumors. They are keenly aware that weight is an issue after it killed LF-1, LC F and others, and I think Lexus still sees some life left in RWD platforms for pet projects and flagship vehicles like LS, LC, RC, IS, etc. Perhaps IS and RC can share costs with Mazda, but perhaps Lexus will want to bring them onto a revised proprietary RWD architecture. We don't know. Also keep in mind that Lexus is very committed to racing and to carry on there, they need some sort of RWD product - preferably a coupe.

If Lexus is going to use collaborations a la Mazda, Subaru, BMW for all of their RWD products, I have to believe there comes a point where bringing some of that back in-house with a scaleable platform makes more sense.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
"Super GA-K" is actually what BMW will do with Neue Klasse and is what Volvo is already doing. It could be eRWD/eAWD BEV or eAWD PHEV with a P1/P2 front axle and P4 rear axle. This is the only possible HEV layout for 'lego-like' EV platforms. The battery pack is part of the stress structure so you can't have a propeller shaft running across the skateboard. Therefore the only place to put an ICE is the front subframe and make it FF or the rear subframe to make it RR.
What you saw in that render is the Crown Cross. In the article it said it will just be the normal Crown fastback with 25mm (1") lift and black plastic cladding.
I think so. I just don't see how the IS 500 showcases the future of F, it is more like F's last gasp of breath. Must have died of covid too. :(
The way I see it, they will have very good FSP PHVs using T24+E-Axle in the 300-400kW range. But they don't have the necessary components to make true F cars with 500+kW. To be fair nowadays most people buy the low-grade M/AMG/S because true M/AMG/RS are way out of reach. Similarly FSP will be where most of the money is.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Toyota should bring the toyota century design philosophy to the crown and also they should develop the t24 2.4l turbo hybrid in the same way as the iforce max on the tundra and it make it more torquey and smooth rather than a sports car

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
FAW Toyota will import the Crown in the form of CBU this year, but it is unclear whether it is the 15th or 16th generation.E0137A67-AF93-4C59-832A-722D66007829.jpeg

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Granvia as flagship is a head-scratcher. They already have Sienna and Vellfire for full-size minivans. Granvia is based on utilitarian HiAce so its ride quality will be worse than either of those.

Unless the plan is no Alphard/Vellfire so they don't cannabalize LM.

shizhi

Follower
Reactions
Granvia as flagship is a head-scratcher. They already have Sienna and Vellfire for full-size minivans. Granvia is based on utilitarian HiAce so its ride quality will be worse than either of those.

Unless the plan is no Alphard/Vellfire so they don't cannabalize LM.
just a name for FT‘s Sienna…
and crown is the 16th generation…

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
and crown is the 16th generation…
You're sure about that? What I saw is gen 15.
1643233015712.png
It completely confuses me that S220 Crown (gen 15) will be discontinued in JDM March 2022, but will be imported to China as CBU. Is this just to keep the GA-N line running to keep Mirai cost low enough?

Prices I've seen is ¥350-450k for 2.5L hybrid. If that price range was true it's better value than ES300h.