16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

supra93

Expert
Reactions
https://www.motor1.com/news/149842/next-generation-lexus-gs-spy/

If this is the new sedan, then Lexus' designers are really toning down the vehicle's styling.

Our spies have caught a mysterious sedan testing that could be the next-generation Lexus GS. As seen in these photos, the development team was benchmarking the four-door against a Mercedes-Benz E-Class – the GS’ German rival.

The swirl camouflage does a fantastic job at hiding the vehicle’s styling. On the front end, it’s difficult to tell whether Lexus’ designers might drop the polarizing spindle grille or whether the engineers did a fantastic job of hiding it on this vehicle. Sensors at the top of the windshield indicate this model would have a sophisticated driver assistance system.

In profile, this sedan has a fairly conventional silhouette. A thick C-pillar provides some visual interest along the side, though. Skinny taillights and dual exhausts punctuate the rear.

This sedan’s styling looks rather boring by the standard of modern Lexus vehicles. In recent years, the brand has distinguished itself from German rivals by filling its lineup with visually interesting products. These highly creased, ultra angular creations haven’t always been beautiful, but at least they have been feasts for the eyes – unlike this test mule.

The powertrain in this sedan is largely a mystery, too. The yellow sticker on the upper corner of the rear window denotes that it’s a hybrid, though. Safety regulations require these decals on vehicles with electric assistance when testing at the Nürburgring.

According to a recent rumor, Lexus was considering not replacing the GS. Instead, the base, 415-horsepower (309-kilowatt) biturbo V6-powered next-gen LS would fill the whole in the lineup. In addition, Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda hasn’t been very supportive of the GS, including saying “I didn’t want this car,” in a 2011 interview with Automotive News.

The GS is currently a weak member of the Lexus lineup in the United States. Through May, the automaker has delivered 2,907 of them this year in the country – 52.4 percent worse than this period last year.

2019-lexus-gs-spy-pics.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wonder if this is actually a Lexus? I know those are GS wheels, but the rest of the package is suspect to me.

That front end looks production-ready and I think Lexus would have to go to extreme lengths to put a front end like that on a mule. They usually just cloak it in black covering that hides the details and especially the spindle, like this LS mule:

5f6b81e3962fbe20f8779fa616c8daf8.jpg

supra93

Expert
Reactions
I wonder if this is actually a Lexus? I know those are GS wheels, but the rest of the package is suspect to me.

That front end looks production-ready and I think Lexus would have to go to extreme lengths to put a front end like that on a mule. They usually just cloak it in black covering that hides the details and especially the spindle, like this LS mule:

I would think so considering they are testing it against the E class.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
According to Autiguide the Crown uses the same platform as the GS, so maybe there is some hope the GS won't be cancelled?

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
This cannot be Lexus, when you look at the front face. It seems to be Toyota or some other Asian automaker.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I concur with everybody. That's the next-gen Toyota Crown.

AutoGuide's writeup actually first identified it as the next Lexus ES, but were somewhat unsure. An update at the end of their article notes that it's more than likely the next Crown.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...paign=my.is_breaking&utm_source=my.is20170629

At any rate, it is some sort of Toyota/Lexus product. Most if not all of their Nürburgring testers bear those DAU 068x plates.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
That's definitely not a Lexus body, unless they are dumping the spindle grille.......and I certainly wouldn't bet the rent money on that LOL. ;)

It could (?) be a test-mule for a new Lexus platform, using a Toyota body (as others have pointed out, maybe the Crown) in disguise.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
cmk1 says the GS is still on. It could be that they are testing a new GS platform over a Toyota Crown's shell.

Hmm, I wonder what this means. I had learned that the next IS entered developmentin 2015, under the programme code 400A is due for design approval in the second half of 2017. Scheduling for that model begins in July 2020, on TNGA-L. This I had not seen until now, which is quite shocking that I didn't come across this on my own earlier. 200B was for the LS and 950A was for the LC. The new ES is 240B, but the 5GS appears to be under 300B due for SOP in April 2019. Initially this car had been scheduled for late 2018, but I am wondering how recent this information is.

80-dgbc9b2ymcuv7gspfmwr_75b6d915eb9938d61efa03bdf43f623b85e1d6c8.png

Remember this odd mule.

Lexus-Camo-LC-Inertia-Spec-platform.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I think that turned out to be an early LC mule, if I remember correctly.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
The next-generation Lexus GS has been spied undergoing testing near the Nurburgring.

While this prototype is most likely Lexus’ new mid-size sedan, rumours swirled around the internet earlier this year, driven by reports out of Russia, claiming Lexus was about to give the GS the chop, with the front-wheel drive ES stepping up to take its place in the range.

It’s possible, due to economic conditions, the report may hold true for the Russian market. If these reports are correct on a global level, this car could be a prototype of a Japanese domestic market model, possibly a member of the Toyota Crown family or the due-for-replacement Mark X.

Another possibility sees Lexus prepping a new name for its E-Class/5 Series/A6 fighter.

Should this turn out to be the new GS, this prototype indicates it will have a slimmer version of the brand’s spindle grille, as well as a fastback-style rear-end and a more dynamic look for the exterior.

Regardless, this prototype most likely rides on a version of Toyota’s new GA-L platform for rear- and all-wheel drive cars. Already used for the latest LS sedan and LC coupe, GA-L features a mix of lightweight materials to improve fuel economy and performance.

Turbocharged four- and six-cylinder engines are likely if this is the GS. As indicated by the yellow sticker on the prototype’s rear, this prototype is motivated by hybrid drivetrain.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/563083/2019-lexus-gs-spied/