16th Generation Toyota Crown (Sedan, Cross, Sport, Estate/Signia)

What do you think it is?

• Lexus GS

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Toyota Crown

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I assume Toyota has done their market feasibility study. That being said this does seem similar to the Toyota Corolla Matrix in idea. Folks wanted a more useable corolla, and the Matrix was engineered to that mindset, albeit for only 2 generations.

Again it aint final till the model roles out on the 15th.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Back is not bad to my taste, I am waiting for the front

And maybe I will put my GSF in the garage and take this as my new daily

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Back is not bad to my taste, I am waiting for the front

And maybe I will put my GSF in the garage and take this as my new daily
The body-coloured backend looks better than the other renderings (which suggested a dark or black colour backend).

The frontend is similar to other Toyota cars right now, like the Corolla.

Reactions
Found on Twitter. Looks like new dealer leaks showing model codes, trim levels and prices. If these are legit, it seems like the model will be officially classified as an SUV and known as the Crown Crossover in Japan, either to set it apart from the S220 (which could either continue to be sold as the Crown, or maybe as the Crown Sedan) or imply future additions to the S230 model family

Attachments

• FXIdqXHaMAAtwWr.jpeg
    FXIdqXHaMAAtwWr.jpeg
    931.8 KB · Views: 16
  • FXIach6aIAAQjOd.jpeg
    FXIach6aIAAQjOd.jpeg
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Reactions
From the looks of it they already have this is just a jacked up avalon the crown is dead
I wouldn't say the Crown is dead yet. It seems like the S220 will continue for fleets, private taxi operators, the Indonesian government and traditionalists. The brochure PDF on toyota.jp was just updated in May, even though production of the S220 was reported to be suspended in March.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Found on Twitter. Looks like new dealer leaks showing model codes, trim levels and prices. If these are legit, it seems like the model will be officially classified as an SUV and known as the Crown Crossover in Japan, either to set it apart from the S220 (which could either continue to be sold as the Crown, or maybe as the Crown Sedan) or imply future additions to the S230 model family
If it's only a crossover and not different bodystyles reported like sedan and wagon also, it gives me hope that rwd sedan isn't dead, we could possibly get a new generation of rwd products from Toyota/Lexus.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota has certainly made its share of mistakes over the last few years but the Crown is one of their most storied and prestigious nameplates around the world, so while I am not liking what I see in photos, I have to hope something great is coming.

If the business case for the Avalon was dead, I guess they're going to see if they can pick up some sales by pushing the Crown globally. Like some other products, it doesn't seem like it's going to be a perfect product for this market, but maybe it will be good enough? :unsure:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
One of the main idea for the Crown is the C-lineup

Corolla small

Camry mid

Crown full

Century ultra

Add that to full Crown lineup, Toyota will treat the Crown as a lineup from SUV as the Highlander in chdm, this CUV sedan in 7.15 and a sedan S220 and maybe a next gen S230, Alphard as a minivan

Last edited:

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
-Avalon didn't make much sense over a camry for people on budget and those who had the cash would prefer the es.
-Crown on the other hand was a mini ls and a totally different car which could have been unique globally and may have given a tough time to the germans but with whatever they have done with the new crown it's not looking good from all the specs that have leaked it's clearly a downgrade and i just don't get who in their right minds would even consider this plastic kardashian-esque design over a camry (for regular sedan buyers that is).
-Crossover buyers who buy a toyota would probably go for lexus or venza or even the rav 4.

Guess we'll have to wait 4 more days for the verdict.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
On another note bestcar did a questionnaire and majority 33.8% don't like the new direction toyota has taken

Levi

Expert
Reactions
-Crossover buyers who buy a toyota would probably go for lexus or venza or even the rav 4.
I am sure this Crown will have both a more dynamic handling and a more comfortable ride, combined with more relaxing seating position in back seats.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
-Avalon didn't make much sense over a camry for people on budget and those who had the cash would prefer the es.
-Crown on the other hand was a mini ls and a totally different car which could have been unique globally and may have given a tough time to the germans but with whatever they have done with the new crown it's not looking good from all the specs that have leaked it's clearly a downgrade and i just don't get who in their right minds would even consider this plastic kardashian-esque design over a camry (for regular sedan buyers that is).

Guess we'll have to wait 4 more days for the verdict.

You make a good point (a few, really). In JDM when the Lexus brand was weaker, the Crown was historically seen as Toyota's answer to the E Class and 5 Series because it was a prestigious luxury product. I wonder if, since Lexus' own GS has failed and the sedan market has changed so drastically, it has Toyota thinking about a whole new formula for the Crown vs. trying to iterate on what it was before. Maybe so?

I'm just struggling to understand who this is supposed to serve when it's surrounded by the Camry, ES, Highlander, Venza, etc. on all sides but maybe we will know more this week once we see it. Months ago when the rumors pointed to the Crown becoming Toyota's "RX" (midsize, two row, way more comfort than the compact crossovers), it made a lot of sense to me, but trying to package that request into a sedan-liftback-CUV body style is going to be a hard sell here. I think most Americans will either go Camry, ES, Venza, NX or RX depending on price.

I'm also beginning to wonder if all of the "a Crown sedan, a Crown liftback, a Crown CUV" speculation was translation error and Toyota is actually going to weave all of them into one model vs. three different Crown models. That's certainly how it looks.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
You make a good point (a few, really). In JDM when the Lexus brand was weaker, the Crown was historically seen as Toyota's answer to the E Class and 5 Series because it was a prestigious luxury product. I wonder if, since Lexus' own GS has failed and the sedan market has changed so drastically, it has Toyota thinking about a whole new formula for the Crown vs. trying to iterate on what it was before. Maybe so?
Crown was killed by the Alphard. A tall minivan is much easier for traditional Crown buyers (usually 65+ years old) to get in and out of. This is also why S220 was marketed towards a much younger crowd, which unfortunately didn't work out for them, because Crown has that 'old man car' stigma. S220 is basically a smaller scale 5LS: poor packaging, large and heavy, failed to attract a different crowd.

Then to find a reason for existence for the S230 they had to look overseas, so their logic is probably like 'any crossover sells in USA so let's make it a crossover'.

IMO they made the wrong bet to make it appeal to US buyers. Crossover market is already so crowded that people likely won't be interested in a weird looking lifted sedan. What they should have done is reshaping the S220 to a more traditional 3-box sedan, stretch the wheelbase and market towards Asia where it has strong brand recognition.

The really messy part is Avalon's unexpected success in ChDM and FAW's Crown brand strategy. This suddenly removed a lot of demand for a new Crown sedan and hurt its economy of scale.

The "Crown as a brand" strategy is very smart as there is already a "Toyota+" lineup with more upscale interior than a typical Toyota.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Well crown isn't as well known in the west, so of toyota decided to launch the petrol hybrid version of mirai it would be cool but that is unlikely since toyota is trying to establish 0 emissions image of the mirai though we might see an ev mirai too